Forum name > Edit > RSS" there is the option: Include Body in Feed. I realize that this is probably self..."> Forum name > Edit > RSS" there is the option: Include Body in Feed. I realize that this is probably self...">
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#248401 02/14/2012 4:21 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
In the Control Panel under: "Forum Settings > Forum name > Edit > RSS" there is the option: Include Body in Feed.

I realize that this is probably self-explanatory, i.e., a designated # of characters will be included along with the Subject, or whatever... correct?

But what is generally recommended for this option:
1. Use it, or not?
2. If yes, use it what is a good number of characters to enter?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Subjective question.
Depends on where you are going to use it or for what.
You could start with say 300 and go from there.
If it is for a feed to say email then expand it a lot.
If it is for say a external island then you may want to go less than 300.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It really does depend on what YOU want... The body is the part of the post that has the content, the post itself.

Basically, do you want external RSS feed readers to be able to read the full content of posts (and if so, how much), or just their subject.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
1. I know virtually nothing about RSS Feeds.
2. I am therefore assuming that users will subscribe to them and an e-mail will be sent out.
3. Again, assuming these RSS Feeds are sent via e-mail, what is "expand it a lot"?... 1000, 1500, 3000, etc.

Thanks for responding.

RSS feeds can or is for both. Email, news readers,etc.
If you visit mystuff>Feeds
Then you will see the default settings.
Beyond that for a user to see them then you need to inform them of a news feed to subscribe to. Or add a news feed to say something like a island in a page.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
1. I know virtually nothing about RSS Feeds.
then I doubt you'll need them, unless you want other sites to be able to syndicate content.

2. I am therefore assuming that users will subscribe to them and an e-mail will be sent out.
What you see is what you get, they don't send emails out; they're just a "feed" of content.

3. Again, assuming these RSS Feeds are sent via e-mail, what is "expand it a lot"?... 1000, 1500, 3000, etc.
again, they don't send out emails, they are just the rss feed; the amount is how much of the body do you want to have displayed.

An RSS feed looks like this. A user can use an RSS feed parser to display your content on their site (or you could use it to display content on your site) or a user could use a feed parser on their computer to "read" the info on their computer.

Really, they won't be much use to most people at all...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It really does depend on what YOU want... The body is the part of the post that has the content, the post itself.

Basically, do you want external RSS feed readers to be able to read the full content of posts (and if so, how much), or just their subject.
Again, showing my ignorance here. When you refer to "external RSS feed readers", does that mean that non-registered members have access to these Feeds and thus forum content?

The reason for my asking these questions is because a newly registered user is asking whether or not my board has RSS Feeds. I had to look in the CP to find out if it did... which obviously it does. I do NOT have any private forums enabled and only a select few.

So again... is including a portion of the body of each post and topic? desirable?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, at this point I'm still walking around in the dark about these RSS Feeds. I do remember a few years ago I noticed an option on another board to receive RSS Feeds. I enabled it and these updates of posts, etc., showed up in Outlook, my e-mail client. There were so many of them I disabled it, hahaha. Beyond that, I really have no idea how they work, what people want/use them, etc.

Again, someone asked if my board had them available and I'm just trying to figure out what these things are all about and how best to configure them in the CP > Forum Options > RSS section.

Okay then you need to goto:
Control Panel »Content Management» RSS Feeds
select the My Feeds option Tab.
And enable it then the user can at least see it in My Stuff.
And do what they want.

Blue Man Group
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
DONE..... thanks! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 963 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29