Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
old hand
old hand
I just migrated to a new server and have found that the CAPTCHA is not working for new registrations. I'm hoping this is something simple. Doe CAPTCHA require some program like GD or ImageMagik (I have both installed), but do I need to point to them somewhere? Any help woul dbe appreciated. Right now I just get the broken image in place of the captch image.

M
M Offline
Windoze or Nix?

If Windoze... for shame and I could not help much there as I forswore it years ago.

If a flavor of Unix, things should be working just fine as GD2 is included in every distro I know of. No pointing to worry about there.

I am assuming you have gone to CP>Registration Settings>Basic Options>CAPTCHA verification? and see that the drop-down select has "Use GD2" as an option?

Beyond that, I'd need some more detail about your environment to be of any use at all. Are you on a hosted account? If so, who? What is the OS and what kind of configuration control do you have?

If on a hosted account, you'd get best results with their customer support folks as UBBThreads has nothing to do with what graphics library is on the server.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
GD has to have TrueType support, and ImageMagick has to be installed; paths are in the "Paths" section of the UBB control panel for IM.

As for troubleshooting, only .ttf files (and the index document) should be in the images/captcha/fonts directory; i've seen some systems add files that can't be parsed and it breaks.

Also make sure the session, tmp, templates/compile directories are all chmodded 777.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Simple check is that the captcha folders can't have extra files.
So if your ftp program say uploaded some log files delete them.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
old hand
old hand
Ok, I did ask them to install ImageMagick, so I'mhoping it's just the paths need fixing!

old hand
old hand
Ok, on my old server I was using ImageMagik for the CAPTCHA in the registration and it worked great. On my new server it isi not working. I do have IM installed and I've checked that the paths to convert and mogrify are correct. Yet, the CAPTCHA images are not showing when using IM (but they do work with GD). I need to get this fixed becuase my forum is not the only thing that is using IM. Any isdeas why IM would not be working for CAPTCHA given that the paths are correct?

I had this issue with IM on my old host and some where along the line SD jumped in about execute permissions and then Rick jumped in and got it resolved.
So anyway. I know I have a post here in the last year about it and sd replied.
But I spelled out the name image magic or what ever.
Let me see if I can find it.

Not much of a answer but here is the topic.
www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/247204/
Also to test it here is a post by Rick:
While logged in as an admin user, bring up the following on your forums:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=captcha&t=im&test=1

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
M
M Offline
I can't help.

This thread and countless others like it across the net dealing with IM not playing nice with any number of different web scripts is why I always use GD2. No fuss, no muss.

For giggles, today I attempted to install the latest IM rpm on my server. Even that is a pain. I ran into a dependency issue that a little googling found many other having the same. No good solution either. As I don't really need IM, I stopped right there. wink

Sorry for your troubles. Hope you get it resolved.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
IM will always provide clearer/sharper images; IM is king ... that being said, it requires execute permissions but most methods of install should have handled that.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29