Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Has anyone else been negatively impacted by Google Panda here? I just found out that thousands of URL's that are associated to showprofile and showday were indexed by Google and I can't figure out how to get them No Index, No Followed without putting that Robots META in the header of all pages in the forum and killing the whole thing.

I tried searching and didn't see any threads about Panda, so posting here. I'm running version 7.5.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
-Chris

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I think this is a question to ask a some SEOs about, because I'm not sure if you should be getting penalized for those pages. Generally google is pretty smart about knowing what a message board is and not penalizing you for those pages. Let me ask around about this.

If you want to limit those pages you need to make a robot.txt file to specify what you don't want indexed.

http://tools.seobook.com/robots-txt/

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Code
User-agent: *
Crawl-Delay: 3
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=calendar
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/calendar
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showday
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showday
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showprofile
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showmembers
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showmembers
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=online
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/online
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/search
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=faq
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/faq
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=viewprivacy
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/viewprivacy
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mycookies
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/mycookies
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=markallread
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/markallread
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=newuser
Disallow: /forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/newuser

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Nice Gizmo.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Thanks so much Gizmo, that has helped tremendously.

Is there a Google Panda thread going in here that I missed where folks are discussing issues, challenges and potential solutions with regard to this update?

Now it appears I'm struggling with a number of duplicate title errors when using Webmaster Tools. It seems there are multiple URL's for each post and I'm wondering if there's any way to get this down to one per thread (and de-index the others.)

Can someone point me to the right forum to ask this question? I have to think there are many others that have been affected and are trying to resolve these issues.

Thanks!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I haven't really mucked around in the webmaster tools lately (been really sick for starters); I'll need to login tomorrow (my brother is moving back at like 4 so I'll try to play around before then) and see if anything is weird.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Just for example's sake, here's what Webmaster Tools is reporting. I have 1,002 of these "Duplicate Title" errors. On this particular thread, the same page is being indexed 5 times! To Google this looks like duplicate title and content.

Page Title: TM SuperTri adjustments - The Gallery | A golf forum at GolfGearReview.com

URLS:
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​036​0/2​/TM​_Su​per​Tri​_ad​jus​tme​nts
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​036​0/T​M_S​upe​rTr​i_a​dju​stm​ent​s
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​037​7/2
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​042​1/2
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​048​4/R​e_T​M_S​upe​rTr​i_a​dju​stm​ent​s

Maybe we can help some other folks who are having similar issues. I have to think they are out there.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, unfortunately we "allow" access to URLs through many different structures; so there will always ultimately be "duplicate content" until it's handled differently...

Sysop
Sysop
Panda is aimed at sites duplicating other sites content, so you won't get penalized. However, we will look at adding nofollow and/or canonical tags to point to the preferred source within UBB.....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
However, we will look at adding nofollow and/or canonical tags to point to the preferred source within UBB.....
I was thinking 301 redirects to "proper" urls (based on config options)

Originally Posted by UBBSystems
Panda is aimed at sites duplicating other sites content, so you won't get penalized. However, we will look at adding nofollow and/or canonical tags to point to the preferred source within UBB.....

I've heard the same from Googlers but it does seem that all forums seem to have been penalized by Panda for some other reason. They have not been forthcoming to provide an explanation, only saying that it's not because of duplicated content within the same domain. Since they're not offering any helpful advice I'm leaning toward it being an intentional penalization against forums themselves. Perhaps it's simply a case where forums were given too much preference before Panda. I don't know. Only thing I'm sure about is how much it negatively impacted my earnings. frown

T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Originally Posted by jcbereznay
Just for example's sake, here's what Webmaster Tools is reporting. I have 1,002 of these "Duplicate Title" errors. On this particular thread, the same page is being indexed 5 times! To Google this looks like duplicate title and content.

Page Title: TM SuperTri adjustments - The Gallery | A golf forum at GolfGearReview.com

URLS:
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​036​0/2​/TM​_Su​per​Tri​_ad​jus​tme​nts
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​036​0/T​M_S​upe​rTr​i_a​dju​stm​ent​s
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​037​7/2
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​042​1/2
/fo​rum​/ub​bth​rea​ds.​php​/to​pic​s/4​048​4/R​e_T​M_S​upe​rTr​i_a​dju​stm​ent​s

Maybe we can help some other folks who are having similar issues. I have to think they are out there.

Has there been fixes to address this? I know it's been a while since the previous post but I have the same problem. Is there an update or plugin that adds rel=canonical to posts? I've tried looking in the forums but wasn't able to find an answer.

I was hoping that someone would be able to help.

Last edited by token; 10/18/2012 9:52 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (ahmed047, Nightcrawler), 615 guests, and 132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29