Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
If someone joins your forum using a proxy server is it always detectible? Is it possible for use of a proxy to be undetectible?

What about a spammer or troll using someone else's legitimate ip adress? Is that detectible?

Do "false positives" occur? Is it possible that someone could be wrongly viewed as using a proxy when they are not?

I read something about aol users being provided with proxies for legitimate purposes of hiding from stalkers, cyber bullies and other bad folks. I myself believe this can be a legitimate solution -- something used in good faith.

I bring this up because a member on our forum has been very vocal about our moderators strictly banning proxy users. As if it is the "end all be all," slam dunk solution to problems.

any opinions and/or articles on this would be appreciated

thanks for reading

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
As far as I am aware, a proxy is just a server that you can connect to, to access the www (or whatever else). It is simply a server with an IP like any other server.

Some are listed for public use. In which case they may be 'detectable' because they have agreed to be on someone's 'list' of proxies. (As far as I can see these lists are useless because often, users hosts will change their IP.)

I could start a proxy now on my home pc, but it would be useless to you if you wanted to use it after I switched it off when I went to bed.

Of course, I could be totally wrong; if so, someone please correct me. smile

T
T Offline
Hi Driv,

thanks for responding.

It probably would have been better if my original post was more concise.

Do you moderators allow folks to join your forum when they using proxies -- hiding ip address. In other words if someone is hiding his own IP Address by using a proxy, do you allow it. Do you believe most everyone using proxies has ill intent.

Another question would be has this been an issue on your forum.

Someone on my forum is absolutely convinced that it MUST be disallowed. In other words you must use your own IP address and not hide it. Which doesn't make sense to me.

regards

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29