Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#251316 12/14/2012 12:24 PM
Can anyone point me to the update instructions?

JetStar
www.the-kgb.com
The Knights of Glory and Beer
Established 1997
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS.txt in the 7.5.7 install directory.

Also the normal documentation works when upgrading within the 7x series.
In fact there is now a special note for 7.5.7 .

https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

But beware you should always read the

UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS.txt

as Driv stated.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
P
P Offline
this should be easy and free

P
P Offline
I downloaded the upgrade now what,

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by driv
UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS.txt in the 7.5.7 install directory.
I know it's bad form to quote ones self, but there it is smile

P
P Offline
I am not a computer code writer nor do I want to be, KISS

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The upgrade instructions are in the upgrade file; if you're not capable of preforming the upgrade you can hire the job out to a developer (like myself) which would be the easy way of doing things (as an improper upgrade is going to completely tank your forum)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
P
P Offline
My renewal is up in Jan, I should be able to renew and get the the upgrade right???

for the last time
Instructions are at;

Blue Man Group
P
P Offline
one more time
If I renew now do I get the new version or do I have to still download the 7.5.7

stop posting on my pm and here
if you have member access now you have access to the new version already.
Yes it is your job to install it.

Blue Man Group
P
P Offline
well excuse me for not getting IT

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Either get a support ticket and pay for it to be done - or contact one of the regulars here (like Giz) who I'm sure would be happy to help you out for a reasonable fee.

No insult intended
It was just to confusing going back and forth between the two.
upgrading is not that difficult if you follow the manual.
If that is beyond your ability
Then I suggest asking
UBB,Gizmo,SD

Blue Man Group
Addict
Addict
There isn't any coding at all involved in this upgrade. It is really quite simple.

As the instructions indicate, you simply plunk the files into their location and run the upgrade utility. The upgrade utility does everything for you automatically. It's quick and easy.

I just upgraded three UBB installations and it took maybe 10 minutes top for the upgrade part.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Addict
Addict
-=-=-= 7.5.7 =-=-=->
You will also need to copy over install/styles/common.css and install/styles/admin.css from the install directory to the corresponding forum styles location.

I take it this is something we need to do manually before running the upgrade?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
um... yep

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, the upload of new files is required to do the upgrade

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by Conrad
-=-=-= 7.5.7 =-=-=->
You will also need to copy over install/styles/common.css and install/styles/admin.css from the install directory to the corresponding forum styles location.

I take it this is something we need to do manually before running the upgrade?
Some people misunderstand the path mentioned.
Meaning:
install//XX/XX

the install path is not what is in the zip but the actual path of your forum
To translate.
install/styles/common.css
becomes
www.mysite.com/forum/styles/common.css to upload to.
So you would copy it from your unzipped folder
/styles/common.css
to
www.mysite.com/forum/styles/common.css

Blue Man Group
Addict
Addict
Thanks Ruben. smile

So this is something I need to do manually and then once I've done that I can then run the install which will update the rest of the files automatically, right?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Ruben. smile

So this is something I need to do manually and then once I've done that I can then run the install which will update the rest of the files automatically, right?
[Linked Image from the-highway.com] Not if you are UPDATING/UPGRADING your forum vs. INSTALLING the software for the first time or as a fresh/new install.

IF you are upgrading to 7.5.7, for example, from 7.5.6 you would run the "upgrade.php" file via your browser which is typically here: yourdomain.com/forum/install/upgrade.php

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could potentially nerf your forum if you don't follow the upgrade instructions precisely... It's why I recommend people who are uncomfortable with new installs and upgrades to hire out the work as it costs a lot less to hire that out than hire out disaster recovery services lol...

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
[Linked Image from the-highway.com] Not if you are UPDATING/UPGRADING your forum vs. INSTALLING the software for the first time or as a fresh/new install.

Who mentioned a new install? This thread is about an update and the following is taken from the upgrade instructions text file:

"You will also need to copy over install/styles/common.css and install/styles/admin.css from the install directory to the corresponding forum styles location."

So I'm just trying to confirm that this is something that the upgrade script won't do, so in other words I need to do this manually before running the upgrade script, right?

Correct.
If you follow the normal upgrade instructions.
Which is what you should start with.
It tells you to upload all the files except for certain folders such as the styles folder. Also pay special attention to the part about the cache builders folder.

Then in addition the txt file in the zip has special instructions. Which you should always check for special requirements

In this case the txt file in the zip instructs you to upload only those two files to the styles folder not all of them.

Other than that go back to the generic upgrade document in the link above to finish .

BTW, Somebody has edited the generic document and added the note about the two style files for 7.5.7

Last edited by Ruben; 12/18/2012 2:19 PM. Reason: Added comment

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Techinically, if you DON'T copy them BEFORE the upgrade, the upgrader will tell you that you need to copy them in order to proceed

2c

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Who mentioned a new install?
Sorry for any confusion on my part. I took what you wrote above:

I assumed that you were referring to the install.php file, both of which are in the "Install" directory. I made that mistake the first time and thought I would mention the "upgrade.php" file so you wouldn't make the same mistake.

Again, my apologies for assuming something in error. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
I assumed that you were referring to the install.php file, both of which are in the "Install" directory. I made that mistake the first time and thought I would mention the "upgrade.php" file so you wouldn't make the same mistake.
Don't feel bad, I assumed the same thing for the same reasons tongue

Addict
Addict
Sorry guys, my bad. I also confused things thinking that this was an upgrade "package" that I downloaded, but it seems to be a full installation package which of course includes the upgrade as well.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[Linked Image from the-highway.com]

That's what got me into trouble to begin with; thinking it was an "upgrade" package.

It wasn't for this place, I would have been in serious trouble, never mind totally: [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Has threads ever released upgrade packages? I know classic used to, but I can't recall ever downloading anything but a full install archive for threads...

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You could potentially nerf your forum if you don't follow the upgrade instructions precisely... It's why I recommend people who are uncomfortable with new installs and upgrades to hire out the work as it costs a lot less to hire that out than hire out disaster recovery services lol...

I love the technical term... "nerf"!! LOL smile (Just had to give ya a hard time)

My upgrade went easy.....but I thought there was a typo in the upgrade directions..... I will have to check...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Has threads ever released upgrade packages? I know classic used to, but I can't recall ever downloading anything but a full install archive for threads...
Sure..... the previous "p2" security update. Can't remember (most anything) if there were others. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

I think once we hit the 7x series Rick just started to release a full version with a install and upgrade script included in the package. Hence why the docs state so
When SD stepped in he started to release the patches. So we got them

Blue Man Group
Addict
Addict
It would have been nice to have a smaller package just for the upgrade, but then again it's also good to get the entire thing uploaded in case some file was missed during an earlier upgrade. smile

Does running the update make any changes to the database/table structure?

AFAIK there is not a alter table going from 7.5.6 to 7.5.7.
But do you want to chance it?
Backup everything and,
Just follow the documents and run the upgrade script.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe all changes where file based

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yup

enthusiast
enthusiast
Boy oh boy.... this thread has retouched a nerve with me. A while ago, when I thought that there was going to be a major upgrade arriving, I was going to VOLUNTEER to review/rewrite the upgrade instructions.

I have gone though these like a lot of you for the past 10+ years... but there always seems to be a bit of uncertainty in the procedure. My OPINION is that the wording of the instruction could be CLEARER - hence my thought about volunteering to "edit" them before the next BIG ONE.

EXAMPLES:

1. "Upload all files and directories from the unzipped UBBâ„¢ directory to the UBBâ„¢ installation directory"

Q: Does this mean a new install sub-directory? Such as forum/install/ Or do you overwrite your existing files in their current directory?

2. "When upgrading to 7.5.7 you may need to upload the styles/admin.css and styles/common.css files individually."

Q: You "may" need to upload?? WTH? What the Heck? When? Is this the same for a new install as well as an upgrade?

3. "you will find install/upgrade.php at:
http://www.example.com/ubbthreads/install/upgrade.php"

Q: You've already touched on this one -- Needs clarity for the difference between an INSTALL and an UPGRADE.

4. "If you uploaded a new copy of the "languages" directory in an earlier step, click the "I have updated my language files by hand" button. Otherwise, click the "Update my language files" button."

Q: One of my favorite incongruencies. Should I have uploaded the new copy of the languages? The instructions are not clear. And if not, then does it MERGE this new version withe the current "modified" one on my forum? The wording is really confusing -- If I DID upload a new copy, then I should select "I have Updated by hand"??... Huh?

Sorry, guys.. I totally AGREE that the process is VERY SIMPLE and works like a Champ. But that's ONLY if you don't make a SIMPLE MISTAKE due to the confusing instructions.

Come one, you've got to the agree that INSTALL and UPGRADE shouldn't be mentioned (commingled?) on the same page!!!

The instructions should allow a NOVICE to upgrade their own forum. It's not the code that is causing the problems -- it's the english.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey Bill; if you'd be interested in updating the one we have on the wiki (clicky) I'd love your changes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29