Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#251833 12/29/2012 8:36 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Why is it that you must have a current subscription to get a security update? Don't most companies provide free security updates to programs when they find a flaw?

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, it's more than a security release, there are feature enhancements and bug fixes in 7.5.7.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Then why not provide just the security update as a free stand alone patch?

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Cuervo
Then why not provide just the security update as a free stand alone patch?
You'd have to ask the powers that be (the owner); speaking from experience with past releases (even through old companies) all releases are always done through the member area.

If a security patch is released and it is JUST that patch then I believe under Groupee they'd supply it via the support system; however that's IF a patch was made JUST to a specific version (such as the previous full release); if one was not created just for that then it'd be packaged with a minor release (such as what we just had) and be kept to the member area.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Eddie says:
Personally - I feel as though someone is trying to take advantage of me - imagine what would happen if a vehicle company attempted to make the vehicle owners PAY for any work that was done on the said vehicle had it been recalled..?

I don't understand the mentality of the owner - is he or she inviting us not to renew our site licence's..?

For my money - I agree with what Cuervo is saying and comes May 2013 - I'm gone!

I know how you feel
I was fortunate to obtain a gold license for one site before they expired.
So I am not impacted by this other than it is for only one site not all.

But I just reviewed the license agreement and
even though we did get a freebee security patch the last time it goes as follows:
6. Member Area. Subject to the terms of this Agreement and full payment of the applicable license fees, You will be permitted free access to the Member Area of UBBCentral's website for a predesignated period of time following Your agreement to the terms of this License. In the Member Area, you may download current versions and upgrades of the Software, as well as future temporary fixes, programming temporary fixes, and updates. Thereafter, access to the Member Area is subject to Your purchase of an annual subscription. If your Member Area subscription lapses, and is not renewed, you are not eligible to download or otherwise receive copies of the software except by repurchase of a Member Area subscription. Except as specified herein and unless otherwise agreed in writing by the parties or unless You have opted to purchase support, Mindraven is not obligated to provide training, maintenance or support of any kind for the Software. At its sole discretion and at any time, Mindraven may discontinue the UBB Member Area, or any service or feature available through the Member Area.

The odd part is the agreement still has the Mindraven name in it, I would think that this would have been the first item on the list to edit after the sale.

But anyway posting here is a user community location and not a official communication vehicle to the vendor. Even though they do visit and post here.
If you want clarification then I would suggest you submit it officially via a support ticket.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
If you want clarification then I would suggest you submit it officially via a support ticket.

Ruben,
I have already tried this route and couldn't gain access to a support ticket - that said: You will note that in this forum I am classed as a (stranger) a clear indication that I have never been in need of any assistance - that is (until the hackers arrived) and at this particular time I did (oddly) enough have access to a support ticket and after a few hiccups - all went well.

In a nutshell - I think that my problems only began after the change of ownership occurred - problems I don't mind just as long as they are resolved!

I hope that your luck holds out!

If you have not used the member area nor the support in some several years
This started with Rick creating mindraven and had several issues.
First You need to attach your forum login with your license,etc.
Also meaning you need your original license password.
It is a royal pain And there is a forgot link.
A lot of people had to directly contact him to get it fixed
I suggest that you contact ubb via email to correct it
From what I see the contact is
support@ubbcentral.com

BTW,
I had to go thru the hoops to get my gold license back even when Rick was in charge. Before the sale
Several emails but it finally got resolved.
So patience is the key

Last edited by Ruben; 12/31/2012 6:24 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
This started with Rick creating Mindraven and had several issues

Ruben,
My site blackwatchsoldier.com never had any problems whilst Rick was in charge – my problems started AFTER the hackers struck – that said: Rick is not now responsible for my website – that responsibility lies with the new owners (that is) the people who will shortly be asking me to renew my site licence – Agreed..?

I agree – doing all of these things is a right royal pain but (HI) it’s even worse when one can’t gain access to a support ticket.

That is until one pays $59 to renew one’s access to the Members area and Support Ticket System!

An access that I sadly was not even told had been CUT off..?

Add to that the sum of $285.49 when renewing one’s site licence..?

-----------------------------------------

Interesting..?

I can’t actually understand the (AKA Bully! LOL) bit – that said: I am in total agreement with the quip down below

(There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers)

I don’t seek a stupid answer – I came here to seek a solution to my problem from my website’s present day owners.

Is that too much to ask without having to PAY through the nose..?

Add to that the sum of $285.49 when renewing one’s site licence..?
Don't know where that $285.49 value came from.
Even if you have classic it should only cost 59 dollars to have access to the current version.
But anyway,
The issue for the member/support area started when Rick was here and created Mindraven.
Many of us had to contact him to resolve our access with old licenses.
So it could be due to your access has expired or it could be due to your account is hosed up and you need to contact them directly via email.
Be prepared to remember what your original email address was when you purchased it.

Btw, If you were paying mindraven(Rick) for one of those hosting plans that gave you free UBB updates/support etc.
That would still be a Midraven issue not ubb. Rick sold midraven to one person and sold UBB to another. And then he held onto a few vps customers.
It sucks I know but that is what it is.
Brooks is not at fault nor do I think the new owners of Mindraven noticed that requirement.

PS,
Mindraven has since sold to another owner.
So it gets worse.

And another note is I still have two very old licenses from 1999.
That will email me my license number and password and Rick could never get one of them to show up in the member area.
But the site closed many years ago.

Blue Man Group
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Mindraven has since sold to another owner.
So it gets worse

Ruben,
Not for this lad - comes May it can only get better!

PS: I hope that things go well for you and (Good Luck) to you all!

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
I must thanks to all of you for your participation in this discussion, all these information which you have discuss here it's really useful for those who don't know so much about it, as like me. so I must appreciate your work and keep it up.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29