Print Thread
Hop To
#255540 05/12/2014 5:48 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Hello,

UBB Forum seems very similar to SMF (including portal) it even made me wonder are they somehow related?

I wonder if anyone ever used SMF, if so what are your opinions about it? Personally I see some similarities in features and general layout (but its a forum, so this cannot be avoided). I have no idea about admin backend, so I cannot say.

Does UBB supports some kind of plugins/extensions?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, all forum software have the same baseline features; the UBB is far older however.

I've used SMF, it's about the only freeware forum that I'd give a chance at.

The UBB doesn't have a plugin or extension system; but there are modifications at UBBDev.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
All I can say is when I last tried SMF, within a couple of weeks I got hacked to pieces and have never had that happen with Ubb.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by GregK
All I can say is when I last tried SMF, within a couple of weeks I got hacked to pieces and have never had that happen with Ubb.
Happens with all of the freeware; I mean comeon, it's free, everyone has it, everyone analyzes it...

Paid software comes off more "secure" because it's generally released on a schedule and patched appropriately; just not here very much anymore (anyone remember the days that we had an update once a month?)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
-The open source crowd points out that more people look at and play with the code, and thus are more likely to quickly find (and plug) security holes.
-The proprietary supporters say that since hackers can't see the code, it's tougher for them to find the holes.

Both points make sense initially. However, it's pretty clear that most hackers don't have much difficulty figuring out the holes in proprietary software, anyway. So, that argument pretty much goes away.

As for UBBT vs SMF, communication between the people finding the bugs and the people responsible for plugging the holes in the software is key -- along with timely updates to that software (as Gizmo mentioned above), so the security holes get fixed, made available for download, and are implemented by the forum owners, ideally before an attacker has a chance to exploit them.

Since UBBT 7.5.8's release, I've personally posted several bugs found within this release, and I've shared solutions to correct those bugs. While the bugs I've posted about haven't been security-related, there hasn't been much communication from the UBBT devs with regards to correcting these issues. In fact, there hasn't been much communication from UBBT owners/operators at all.

I'm not sure of the communication timeline over on the SMF forums between it's users and it's devs, but as of this post, their last update was v2.0.7, released 2014-01-25. Its support forums also look more technically active than the forums here.

Is SMF more secure than UBBT?
Is UBBT more secure than SMF?
Is an active support forum important to you?
Are timely updates and bug fixes important to you?
SMF is a free product and its security updates are also free.
UBBT Requires a yearly license fee for access to any security updates.
Does SMF also provide a paid solution (via online trouble-ticket system) for new installs, upgrades, transfers...etc -- and is that important to you?

UBBT is a product that requires a yearly license renewal for access to product updates, security updates and any bug fixes they might release during your license period. You also get a year of access to their support ticket system during that same period. Renewals are less than half of the initial license price.

Without paying UBBT's yearly license fee, you won't have access to product updates, you also won't have access to downloading bug fixes or security updates. Your forum is left exposed to any security holes that are found-and-fixed by the UBBT devs. End users might post security fixes, but on an unlicensed forum it will be up to you to find those solutions and make those code modifications yourself -- IIRC, modifications to the source libraries and scripts voids your options for official support if you decide to renew (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Without renewing your UBBT license, you also wont have access to the trouble-ticket system. Though, you will always have access to UBBT's user-to-user support forums.

NOTE:
Many of the major internet forum softwares, such as UBBT, require a paid license for support. Xeno, vBulletin, ip.Board, etc...
The items I listed above are not unique to UBBT.

phpBB and SMF are both free alternatives.

A breakdown and comparison of many internet forum softwares can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The official stance in the past has been that they cannot support modifications to the base code; but that's more what 3rd party dev's, support on the forums, and UBBDev are for.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29