Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Addict
Addict
Do we have any updates that we can use to stop spam-bots on our forums? Seems like the captcha system I've been running for the last few years isn't enough.

Any chance the next (even minor) update of Threads will address this issue? Even if it's just an additional text field when registering that asks a simple question to be answered.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
you have 5 text fields that you can add already. just go to registration settings and add one that is 'required' and it forces that to be filled in

smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Enable Stop Forum Spam in the CP then install the addon at UBBDev "Stop Forum Spam: Login Detection"; should be enough for 99% of you.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
Gizmo, that feature has been of great help. Just need to add a small extra measure to keep out the few that slip through.

SD, if I add an additional 'required field' can I specify that the registration will go through only if a specific answer is entered?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I added some required fields, and the spam bots just plugged in an alpha sequence and got past.

It would be helpful if a question/answer pair were an option. Users would see a question requiring a simple answer, examples:
Enter the sum of 5 and 10:
Country north of the United States:
Add an s to the word spammer:

Originally Posted by Steve C
I added some required fields, and the spam bots just plugged in an alpha sequence and got past.

It would be helpful if a question/answer pair were an option. Users would see a question requiring a simple answer, examples:
Well using UBB version 7.5.3p2 does not help.
The current version is 7.5.8 .
Six upgrades after your version.
Since your version there have been many security upgrades as well as the stop forum spam plugin.
Also in your current version you could enable captcha as well as moderate registrations.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Where I do agree that an upgrade is warranted (security issues), Stop Forum Spam started as a modification at UBBDev and is still available for his version.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict

Something like this would be a welcome addition to the current features and would provide additional help in preventing spam bots.

Right now I can only think of one other way to use the current features to do something similar, though a lot will depend on users actually reading some form of notice upon registration to do the following:

- set up a new user group so that newly registered users with <1 post can only post replies in a certain forum

- instruct users who are registering that before using the boards they must first introduce themselves in this particular thread (in the only forum where they can post as users with 0 posts)

- use a new user group for users with 1+ posts where they have normal permissions on the board

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Conrad wrote:
- set up a new user group so that newly registered users with <1 post can only post replies in a certain forum

Ha! Tried that. I set up a forum where new registrants could post, and prevented them from seeing any other forum even. I moved non-spammers to the normal category right away, and left the spammers to use the bogus forum. The spam bots started posting away in it. They did not realize that nobody else could see their spam, they just posted away! Repeatedly.

And like the Subject line says, the spam bots have figured out how to get past the captcha text.

I just need to get to work and upgrade. I've been bitten by the php 5.4 blank posts problem (the curly quotes and characters with diacritical marks killing the text), and I really need the Stop Forum Spam feature.

Addict
Addict
Conrad wrote:

Ha! Tried that. I set up a forum where new registrants could post, and prevented them from seeing any other forum even. I moved non-spammers to the normal category right away, and left the spammers to use the bogus forum. The spam bots started posting away in it. They did not realize that nobody else could see their spam, they just posted away! Repeatedly.

I have close to 50 forums on the index page, so I was just thinking of allowing users with 0 posts to post see all... but be able to post in only one of them (let's see how the bot deals with that). smile On top of that they would only be able to post a reply and not start a new thread. smile

Only once they do this will users become part of another group for those with 1+ posts, where they would be able to use the entire board.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ha! Tried that. I set up a forum where new registrants could post, and prevented them from seeing any other forum even.
In an ideal world this would work, but what about search engine traffic? If SE's can't see data they can't index it, so you won't get much traffic to your site by way of them.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Ha! Tried that. I set up a forum where new registrants could post, and prevented them from seeing any other forum even.
In an ideal world this would work, but what about search engine traffic? If SE's can't see data they can't index it, so you won't get much traffic to your site by way of them.

It was the other way around: regular users and not-logged-in visitors could see all the usual forums. But for newly registered users, all they could see was that one forum. Crawlers saw all but the one forum, as well.

The spammers never noticed the odd setup, and just posted away. I got tired of watching it, and blew them (and the new forum) all away.

It was interesting, though. Some of the spammers came back and posted repeatedly, while others never came back and never posted.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It was the other way around: regular users and not-logged-in visitors could see all the usual forums. But for newly registered users, all they could see was that one forum. Crawlers saw all but the one forum, as well.
Interesting method, but since logged on users could just log out to view the other forums why not just restrict them from making new topics or replies?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29