Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BTW,
it has been 14 months since the last update.
My understanding was, we were to have two updates per year?????
Or was that a dream?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Have you visited ubbdev.com recently? UBB.threads 7.6.0 is a major update. There are 3 remaining issues to resolve before release. Much work has been done as recently as just this past weekend (yesterday). Since the release-day of 7.5.9, there has been a minimum of 15 hours a week which have been put in to this version -- though, its normally about 25hrs/wk.

All the changelog details can be found on my personal website, and mirrored at ubbdev.com 's portal.
http://id242.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads-7-6-0.html (changelogs)

At the time of this post, the current snapshot version of UBB.threads 7.6.0 is currently running on UBBCentral.com. If you've found anything here that is not working as you would expect it to, please comment, so it can be fixed for everyone.

I am very much as excited about this release as you are!

Last edited by id242; 03/07/2016 7:06 PM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Where we where told we can release several new versions per year, the upcoming release of 7.6.0 is a total rewrite of several major portions of UBB.threads and will serve as the ground work for all future builds (just as the changes pushed in 7.5.9 where made to help bring this vision in line). The Control Panel has been completely rewritten, code has been adapted in the front end to allow mobile browsing, and a lot of the front end coding has been cleaned up (with the goal of being HTML5 valid). Unlike previous developers, we have been providing a forum (UBBDev Official UBB.threads Announcements) so that users can monitor the progress of major milestones that have been tackled (other than just seeing it live on the forum installs for both Central or at UBBDev when the change gets moved over).

Heck, just this last weekend I spent 5 hours going line by line of every major template, cleaning up missing html tags and html nesting issues on the front end and several in the Control Panel.

We've been working to get a release out, but we've also working to squash bugs and finish a major hurtle of making 7 year old outdated code that's been abandoned, relevant and standards compliant (the last major rewrite of anything was 7.5 which was released in 2009; UBB.Threads Changelog Index and was never xHTML Valid).

One thing that confuses me is that your account at UBBDev has access to the Official Development forum at UBBDev (where beta users can access the latest archives), which means that you have access the current set of alpha's (or "Snapshots"), so you should know more than anyone else that we're actively developing things; especially since the last alpha posted was ubbthreads-7-6-0.20160304.zip which was posted on March 4th.

If anyone wants to see a complete changelog of what we've updated thus far, Isaac has a huge listing on his server here.

Rest assured that we're not just sitting on our hands; once we where granted access to updating the forum here on Central, we've been pushing the latest builds out here as well as UBBDev when we push each package out. In fact, if users WANT to join the beta team, they're more than welcome to read the UBBWiki article "Beta Testing UBB.threads" which gives instructions on how to join the beta team.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I think I'm ready to run 7.6.0 when it comes out. I have both servers totally redone now and everything working well. I'm running 7.5.9 in a secure test environment at the moment and perhaps will put it live very soon.

I know I have access to the ubbdev forum in question.
But alpha is not a public release.

And you are working on a major overhaul.
(I feel your pain)
But bragging points were stated that we would see multiple updates per year.

I am being the devils advocate and speaking for the masses.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
EDIT: There are only two people working on UBB.threads 7.6.0 at this time. James Corthell and myself, Isaac DeCoursey. James has contributed a substantial amount of his personal time, ideas, custom code, and ongoing efforts in and supporting the current UBB.threads user-base. You (Ruben) and James have been in constant communication for at least the past 10 years, and have been communicating through Private Topics on the progress of UBB.threads 7.6.0 (formally known as 7.5.10) since February 2015. There are at least 105 replies in the "BMG6" Private Topic conversation between you (Ruben), James and Myself, with the very last reply being from you. With that having been said, I continue to look forward to working with you and James in the future. I feel that both of you guys are an unreplaceable asset in this project. I enjoy reading ideas and support posts from each of you guys.

---
---

Originally Posted by Ruben
And you are working on a major overhaul.
(I feel your pain)
But bragging points were stated that we would see multiple updates per year.

Do you have a direct link to this statement? can you please share this link?

You already know that a major overhaul is in progress, and you already know, and can see the changelogs, and have download access to the Snapshots that are published about a few times a month; so I dont fully understand your complaint.

Personally, I dont feel that it would be fair to anyone, to release a product that still has known show-stoppers, and call it "final."

As a side note, for the past 16 months, I've been putting several hours of my personal time in to this project, without any expectation of making a single dime for my time. Nore has there been any agreements put in place for me to make any income from this project. Its purely being worked on as a passion and past time hobby of mine... for up to 25 hours a week, every week, for the past 16 months. This is purely due to seeing that UBB.threads project basically stalled in 2013 by the previous developer. I didnt see that it was fair to everyone else who has made an investment of their time and money in to the software, to let it die that way. So in January 2015, I took it upon myself (and with the incredable help and contributions of James Courthell/gizmo) have made some incredable progress in bringing life back in to the UBB.threads software package.

I am extremely excited to produce a quality product that everyone can use.

If you have anything useful to contribute, I'm fully cool with adding your contributions and making sure that credit for your contribution is added.

I am also more than happy to freely give my support and share whatever technical knowledge i have, to support you and anyone else who requests it.

In closing, I am just as passionate about this software as you and many others are. Feel free to contribute here, or on UBBDev.com, or even send me a Private Message if you want. I always reply.

isaac @ http://id242.com

Cheers smile

Last edited by id242; 03/08/2016 5:46 PM. Reason: to add a bit of history/prefix

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not to mention, the "Beta Testing UBB.threads" wiki entry has been kicking around since April 2015 (linked to in the top portion of UBBDev's main forum page), with little interest being shown by the user base. If the user base where interested in bleeding edge coding, they're more than welcome to request access to it; it is a process that needs to be followed since the coding is not stock and is not 100% ready for "prime time" usage without the knowledge needed to assist in debugging issues.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 446 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29