Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
stranger
stranger
I'm troubleshooting a Flashchat integration and the FC documentation refers to editing a template called

ubb_registerednav.tmpl

I don't see this template in the templates list. In fact, the FC docs show several templates that begin with ubbt_ and I don't have any of them (see attached). I'm brand new to UBB and Flashchat so I'm not sure where to look for a solution. Flashchat seems to be installed correctly and the link to it appears in the Nav Bar. What I've been asked to help fix is the auto-login feature that will enable someone who is logged into UBB to automatically be logged into FC when they click the link. Instead they just get the login page.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Could it be that I don't have permission to see these templates? Or is this a UBB issue? I haven't been given ftp access but presume that would be helpful so I've asked for it but in the meantime I'm just hoping someone could steer me towards the source of the discrepancy.

TIA
Attachments
ubb_selecttemplate.gif

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
FlashChat is severely outdated, it was coded in the days of PHP4 and very early builds of UBB.threads v7; as such, it shouldn't run under newer sets of UBB.threads coding; I'm not even sure if FlachChat would even run under PHP5.

This is not a "UBB" issue, it's instead an outdated script that the author hasn't done the groundwork to ensure compatibility with current releases, modern coding, or with the scripts it used to integrate with.

I am working on a wrapper to use IRC in the UBB; I can release an early beta of that coding if chat is something you would need for your community (example).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
also ubbt_
Is a default db table name not a template file.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ebenjen
I'm troubleshooting a Flashchat integration and the FC documentation refers to editing a template called

ubb_registerednav.tmpl

I don't see this template in the templates list. In fact, the FC docs show several templates that begin with ubbt_ and I don't have any of them (see attached). I'm brand new to UBB and Flashchat so I'm not sure where to look for a solution. Flashchat seems to be installed correctly and the link to it appears in the Nav Bar. What I've been asked to help fix is the auto-login feature that will enable someone who is logged into UBB to automatically be logged into FC when they click the link. Instead they just get the login page.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Could it be that I don't have permission to see these templates? Or is this a UBB issue? I haven't been given ftp access but presume that would be helpful so I've asked for it but in the meantime I'm just hoping someone could steer me towards the source of the discrepancy.

TIA

Originally Posted by Ruben
also ubbt_
Is a default db table name not a template file.

ubb_registerednav.tmpl is part of the UBB.threads 6.2.x - 6.5.x package. These versions of UBB.threads were popular from 2003 to 2006, just before UBB.threads version 7.0 was released.

Not to be confused with UBB.Classic, which used PERL as its script interpreter.
UBB.threads version 6 requires PHP4, and will not run on PHP5 or newer.

See attached screenshot
Attachments
20170107_14-05-37.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
I never used v6 but that probably is correct. But still in v7 the default prefix for table names is ubbt

Bottom line is if Flashchat referenced a filename with a ubbt prefix then that chat flavor is many many years old.
Since the last version 6 ubb threads came out Jan 2006.
And is not officially supported anymore.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It seems that FlashChat hasnt been updated since 2009. Its currently at version 6.0.8.

The last install guide they provide for any type of software which is related to UBB.threads, is dated around 2007. That is for FlashChat version 4.7.9.

The version I believe you are attempting to install, is from 2004, for FlashChat 3.9. Although they are calling it, "UBB.threads integration" the documents within it, are calling it "ubbthreads," which is actually UBB.threads 6.2.x - 6.5.x, which i believe is before UBB.threads got the case and the "dot" in its name.

http://www.tufat.com/flashchat-2/

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I posted the IRC Chat Wrapper at UBBDev: qwebirc Chat Wrapper

This wrapper has very little coding on it, and could be adapted to other services if one put in the work. IRC servers are some of the oldest discussion mediums, and are still running quite well.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
There you go!
Follow Gizmo's post

Blue Man Group
stranger
stranger
Awesome information. I suspected there was no real solution to this problem. I appreciate the time y'all took to explain things. I will talk to the client about switching to IRC.

(Ruben, you may appreciate the tattoo I just added to my profile pic...)

To funny.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Gizmo, is there a chat solution that you can think of that a user can run on his or her own web server that can be integrated into the UBB user database for login auth?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not currently, I posted this new irc chat add-on months ago, but it doesn't sort seeing a Huckabee, let alone doing its own authentication (plus, irc servers have their own auth mechanism, and I wouldn't feel comfortable security wise sending that data to a third party service).

Veteran
Veteran
I had checked it out and seen it was going to a 3rd party server and was curious. I personally would love to have something that I can put on my site and attach it to my user database for log in and such.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
IRC is one of the oldest chat mediums, and I'd be more than willing to bet that they'll surpass any other mediums. It's a solid foundation, especially since you can choose servers that cater to your needs (Freenode, my suggested server, has a long line focus on technology); BUT, they have their own services (as does any other IRC chat).

If you want to use something you can modify and lock down, there's always the shoutbox.

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps I will look into updating the flash chat and getting that working, starting with the faulty installer that doesn't work.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's not a faulty installer, it's code developed for an entirely different system (UBB.threads v6); if you installed UBB.threads v6 it'd work just fine; though nothing that is remotely current would work, at all. Plus, it wouldn't work with mobile devices, and considering they have such a huge portion of the market share now, you'd be alienating your users...

Trust me, come up with a better option than FlashChat, it's dated and needs to just die.

Veteran
Veteran
I had changed it many years ago and had it working perfectly on as high as 7.4.0 and using the member database and mod and admin privileges as well. The problem now is I can't get it to install at all with the latest download with the UBB or as a stand alone chat. Once I get that working I believe I can get it working with 7.6.0 easily.

I just didn't spend much time with it as I was more interested in the beta testing and such.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
I had changed it many years ago and had it working perfectly on as high as 7.4.0 and using the member database and mod and admin privileges as well. The problem now is I can't get it to install at all with the latest download with the UBB or as a stand alone chat. Once I get that working I believe I can get it working with 7.6.0 easily.

For reference, UBB.threads version 7.4.0 was released October 16th, 2008.

FlashChat Requirements:
Adobe Flash Player, PHP
http://www.tufat.com/flashchat-2/

In addition to what Gizmo has said about FlashChat not being mobile friendly, it also requires Adobe Flash. That is something which every modern smartphone has stopped supporting. Websites built with Adobe Flash simply will not function on modern mobile devices running Google Android or iOS (iPhone / iPad).

In 2010, Steve Jobs said that Apple would not allow Flash on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad - citing abysmal security as one reason.

Android's final dance with Adobe Flash, was around 2013, during the Android 4.0/ICS days.

In November 2011, Adobe had officially ceased development of Flash for all mobile devices, but did make available a handful of security-related releases until mid-2013.

Adobe's Flash may have been fine for the early 2000s when it was installed on many desktop computers, but today, many people use flash blocking tools to battle overly abusive advertisers, for security concerns, for battery & data transfer saving, and for many other reasons. Today, many people just wont install Adobe Flash.

See attached screenshot:
Attachments
20170207_15-20-30.PNG

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by id242
but today, many people use flash blocking tools to battle overly abusive advertisers, for security concerns, for battery & data transfer saving, and for many other reasons. Today, many people just wont install Adobe Flash.
I have FlashBlock installed on Firefox, refuse to use flash on just about any site unless it's absolutely necessary.

Veteran
Veteran
Very good point id242 as about 75% of people surfing the Internet these days are using mobile devices. I think I will have to brain storm and try to come up with something that can be integrated into the UBB that's is both mobile and user friendly that doesn't require additional downloads for mobile devices. I have found people aren't into downloading apps if they do not have to. Unlike other message systems UBB 7.6.0 is mobile compliant without using any additional downloads, that alone is a major plus to the community.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ShoutChat works just fine on any mobile device.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/shoutchat

ShoutChat can be reached by clicking on the header of the the ShoutBox island.

For an admin, they can copy that link and integrate it in to other parts of their sites interface if they choose. Then give access to posting messages to it, only to the user groups you choose. If you want only /other/ groups to have access to it, you could wrap it in a custom script that only allows that group to access it.

There are currently no "rooms" or notifications of when a user is offline or online. But the intent of the Shout* feature (IIRC) was to get the entire forum group to on a twitter-style conversation, and discussing forum related topics in real time.

So with that being said, look at the ShoutBox/ShoutIsland feature as your forum's own twitter-style billboard.

...or install Twitter and use their API within an Island -- and make your users create twitter accounts... accounts that wont be tied to your forum's accounts. This could probably also be done with Disqus or Facebook or Google+, but Shout* is already integrated pretty well with your forum's current member base.

I hope this can be helpful to someone smile

Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like the best choice so far. Perhaps in the future rooms and other related chat things can be added to the should chat feature as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29