Hop To
#259165 02/21/2017 6:35 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
Hi
doing a update from 7.5.9 to 7.6.0

Install document said not to upload the includes, styles, and cache_builders/custom directories to a separate directory on webserver

Yet when I start the install process it fails on not seeing those above
Why is it testing in the install 760 folder when document says do not upload those ?

Step 1
In order to automate the installation procedure, we first need to make sure all of the proper files have write access. If any of these checks fail you will need to change the permissions on these files. (CHMOD 666 or 664 on Linux and granting write access to the files/directories on Windows. Any directories listed should have wide permissions such as 775 or 777.)

Main Directory
includes/* PASSED
sessions/ PASSED
templates/compile/ PASSED
cache/ PASSED
cache_builders/custom/* FAILED
styles/* FAILED (Can't create new file)

tmp/ PASSED
gallery/*

what am I missing here ?

I uploaded all of 7.6.0 to a new folder on webserver and not overwriting my functional UBBtreads folder
correct way ?
or have to install 7.6.0 folder as a subfolder of 7.5.9 ?

thanks

JR
Team ZR-1 Corvette Racer's
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Is your cache_builders/custom folder chmodded 777? Is your styles directory chmodded 777?

See UBBWiki: Uploading the Software Files for permission information.

You'll have to upload the admin.css and common.css files from the /styles folder no matter what.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Which Install document are you reading? The one included within the archive says,

You should never overwrite any files within your includes or the cache_builders/custom directories unless the version upgrade instructions specifically say to do so.

and further down, it says,

You will also need to copy over /styles/common.css and /styles/admin.css from the archive directory to your corresponding forum styles location. Be careful not to overwrite your /styles/wrappers.php.

It then has a link which points to here:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/directme.php?to=threads_upgrade

A complete guide for upgrading to the current version of UBB.threads can be found at:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/directme.php?to=threads_upgrade

That url should answer most of your questions. If anything else should come up, please feel free to discuss it also in that thread, so others can benefit from the given help.

Cheers laugh

Last edited by id242; 02/21/2017 6:44 PM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
So I am clear

7.6.0 minus the folders install doc says
was FTPs to main domain public directory as a ubb760 directory
those those directories do not exist so cannot change rights to them

My functional UBBtreads is in another directory so this functional 7.5.9 is not where I uploaded 760

thus 2 different folders, functional 759 and then from public root a new 760 for install process
So Gizmo what am I missing, are you saying the folder directory for 760 which does not have that folder
or the other UBBthreads functional 759 folders ?

JR
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
759 folder functional directories rights are set to 0755
760 install folder of course does not have includes, styles, and cache_builders/custom directories

JR
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Removing those directories is a step for an UPGRADE only; if you're doing an upgrade you wouldn't want those folders as they would clear out your configuration files and wrappers.inc.php file, which would render your site useless.

If you are doing a new install then you'd have ALL of the files from the install archive as they do not already exist on the server.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
when I go to http://www.teamzr1.com/ubb760/install/upgrade.php
ubb760 is the install directory and upgrade.php is called
get this error

Warning: require_once(../includes/config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/teamzr5/public_html/ubb760/install/upgrade.php on line 33

JR
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by teamzr1
when I go to http://www.teamzr1.com/ubb760/install/upgrade.php
ubb760 is the install directory and upgrade.php is called
get this error

Warning: require_once(../includes/config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/teamzr5/public_html/ubb760/install/upgrade.php on line 33
As you would, because you're trying to upgrade a folder that doesn't have an installation in it; plus you removed directories, so the folders don't even exist.

If you're doing an upgrade you would be doing it in an existing install's folder, and be sure that you backup your existing configuration files in the /cache_builders/custom, /styles/, and /includes/ folders; if you accidentally overwrite these files there is no way to restore them without you having backed them up first.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
Gizmo

I am doing the upgrade process as per
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...re-7-6-0-changelog-discussion#Post259085

which in part also says
Do not upload these:

cache_builders/custom/
includes/
styles/wrappers.php

then says to call up the update.php
http://www.example.com/ubbthreads/install/upgrade.php

which I did and get using my domain and install directory

so what am I doing wrong, the folders exist in the NEW 760 install directory minus the includes, styles and cache_builders/custom/ ?

JR
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why are these files not in your http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ folder? You are getting this error because your UBB.threads install is not in the http://www.teamzr1.com/ubb760/ folder, and you're attempting to run an upgrade from a folder that does not have an install in it.

The only time you remove folders from the install archive is when you're doing an upgrade, which you're attempting to do in the wrong folder.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I REALLY want to stress the importance of:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
If you're doing an upgrade you would be doing it in an existing install's folder, and be sure that you backup your existing configuration files in the /cache_builders/custom, /styles/, and /includes/ folders; if you accidentally overwrite these files there is no way to restore them without you having backed them up first.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
what needs to be clear is what the difference in a INSTALL folder and
the existing UBBtreads folder where the functional version 7.5.9 is

Are you calling INSTALL folder as functional one, IE FTP and overwriting existing 7.5.9
OR ftping a 7.6.0 folder as a sub folder of 7.5.9

This install doc is written for programmers and not end users and that is confusing

As to folders, again as per above UBB URL, says an INSTALL folder, and what folders it says NOT to upload have not
all other folders, files are in the root of public as a new ubb760 folder and NOT in the 7.5.9 functional folder
which has no install folder

So ubb760 folder HAS all the files/folders that were in the ZIP file except

Do not upload these:

cache_builders/custom/
includes/
styles/wrappers.php as upgrade url says not to

You are getting this error because your UBB.threads install is not in the http://www.teamzr1.com/ubb760/ folder, and you're attempting to run an upgrade from a folder that does not have an install in it.

JR
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The install folder would be your "functional" folder...

Ok, as lamens as it gets:
1. Backup your EXISTING INSTALL
2. Make sure you BACKED UP.
3. Unzip the Install Archive that you downloaded from ubbcentral.com
4. Delete the /cache_builders/custom/ and includes/ folders from the unzipped folder.
5. Delete the /styles/wrappers.php file.
6. Upload the files to your existing UBB.threads install folder.
7. Make sure your chmods are correct, again I have an article on UBBWiki: Uploading the Software Files that has correct permissions listed.
8. Run the /install/upgrade.php file from your exisitng installs folder, which will be the folder that your current forum is in, that you just uploaded files to.

If you are not comfortable with backing up or upgrading your forums, you should look for someone to do the upgrade for you, I offer upgrade services and UBB.Central offers them as well

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
IMHO
for those of use who are users of the forum software and how seldom there are updates
this would have been real simple if the upgrade install documents stated the new folders and their contents
are to be copied to an existing functional older version

Install directory to me means just that and not the older version functional directory

On chance I allowed the uploading to functional folder, took less then 10 minutes to complete the upgrade

Thanks

JR
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We assume that people installing the software are familiar enough with internet technology to understand how to install and use basic tools (FTP, SSH, PHPMyAdmin) and install a basic web script, and if not they have other venues to get things upgraded.

If these are not tasks that one feels extremely comfortable with, they should not be attempting to upgrade their forums; it would be extremely easy to overwrite the wrong files...

Sounds to me like you ran install.php instead of upgrade.php
If you ftp to your site you will probably find a duplicate install folder.

Last edited by Ruben; 02/22/2017 7:09 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29