Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
I upgraded my modified 7.5.6 forum to 7.6 and have a few display issues that may be from my mods, but I'm not sure.

1. Forum is left aligned on screen - would prefer it centered - http://j30.us/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html
2. The forum width is ok, but when a topic and some menu options are opened, the width decreases making the center column too narrow.
Here is a narrow problem link - http://j30.us/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/10/1/the-boat-sails-and-equipment.html

Any idea what file I edit in order to correct this problem?

Veteran
Veteran
Try to clear your browser cache and see if it corrects it self.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It looks like you're on the older/7.5 version of the "ubbthreads stock" style.

Follow the directions in the "STYLES - BASIC (tl:dr)" section of this link, to update your style
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...re-7-6-0-changelog-discussion#Post259089

"UBB.threads - Light" is the 7.6 updated version of "ubbthreads stock"

If you have any problems, reply here, and I'll see what I can do to assist further

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
Try to clear your browser cache and see if it corrects it self.

Thats not a solution. Especially for when the problem occurs yet I have never visited his pages prior.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There also looks to be a problem of your $headerfile

You are sending two headers.

Visit the "HTML Includes" tab at:
http://j30.us/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/admin/gen_display.php

Update the "Header Insert For All Pages" section, to correct the page declaration information from the "Header Insert" section.

This stuff should not be in that grouping

Code
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-US">
<head>

There are some examples in 7.6, where there were no examples for the 7.5 series.
Attachments
20151119 - HTML Includes - Example.png

Last edited by id242; 02/27/2017 2:12 AM. Reason: attached a screenshot sample

whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
The problem is definitely in the header I have in the html includes tab. I stripped that out and it corrected the problem. I will go through that code and determine what I messed up. Thanks for the tips!

whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks to the help here I have fixed both the forum alignment issue and have updated to the 7.6 styles.

Now that I have it fixed, a related question on the forum width. Can I put something in the html includes or a CSS file to limit the forum width so it doesn't extend the full width? Kind of like the way this forum is with the grey sidebars outside the islands.

Veteran
Veteran
Control Panel » Display Settings » General Display Settings » Table Width For All Screens

whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
Duh! - Thanks JAISP for the info. It's been years since I played with the settings when configuring the forum originally and forgot there was a simple solution all along.

Veteran
Veteran
LOL, Yes it is easy to forget where things are if you're not playing with the Control Panel a lot.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
LOL, Yes it is easy to forget where things are if you're not playing with the Control Panel a lot.

You are so correct about that!
and there are so many options to customize every detail, a person could easily get lost smile

whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
Just letting everyone know that once I fixed the problems in the HTML includes header (all problems created by me :p) the upgrade from 7.5.6 to 7.6 went great. The upgraded forum has been running great and I've taken the time to do a few more script and theme customizations to get the desired look. Since I've changed the forum look on the upgrade with the new default 7.6.0 theme there have been compliments from some of the forum users, and nobody has reported any problems.

For those doing customization of any files, I recommend using a free open source tool called Winmerge. It allows you to open two files side by side and easily see the changes you are making. I create a directory structure the duplicates the installed UBB.threads structure and copy the files to be modified in that structure. I rename the files to include the version number for the original file (e.g. showmembers.tpl becomes showmembers7.6.0.tpl). I then either copy a previous file if it was already modified, or duplicate the original file in the directory with the desired target name). The two files are opened, and it is easy to see any differences. By retaining the original 7.6.0 file in the directory, I can easily revert back to the original source if I really screw something up. After modifying all the files, I ftp the structure up to the server, and once everything is tested, delete from the server all the files with 7.6.0 in the name.

Thanks for the help of those who chimed in, and I hope this tip helps others.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29