Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Good Morning,

We recently upgraded to 7.6.0, after clearing up a couple of hiccups we were left with these reports and observations...

I realize lumping multiple "bugs" into one post isn't ideal, but I didn't want to make this look like a big deal when most are minor (if annoying to our users). I know you guys have been working hard and I appreciate all your work. Overall the majority of feedback I've received after the upgrade has been positive. Most of the comments below (in quotes) were reported by our users in this thread http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...lems-with-new-forums-report-it-here.html

1.) Gallery Links Missing: (multiple reports came in on this one)
"using Safari on my Mac, I no longer see the links to the three image options for thumbnail, medium, large. I can copy the link to the gallery html site, but I can no longer determine what the links are to each of the two uploaded .jpg images in the gallery. Never had this problem before"... (I noticed the same thing, happens on other browsers too)

2.)Top link
"Appears if logged on. Does not appear if not logged on". We often have over a thousand guests not logged in.

3.) Time Zone
"I am not able to change my time zone in the Preferences. I am using Safari in MacOS 10.12.4. If I try to set it, it does not stick"

4.) back to forum index
"Link at the bottom of each page when you're inside a thread, this seems to have disappeared"

5.) Forum Help Not Displaying Answers
"Using Google Chrome and Windows 10, the 'Forum Help' does not display the answers" (links don't expand)

6.)Some Videos no longer play...
(example, I tested and it doesn't work, but if I go direct to YouTube it does. Issue seems to be when the link includes an additional parameter indicating the users list in YouTube. Basic YouTube video without the other parameters work).
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/editpost/Board/1/Number/2641343/what/showflat.html

7.) Lines in Control Panel Gone - Hard to See Now
Horizontal lines in control panel missing, makes it difficult to line up which items go with which listings such as in pending new members (see image) . Obviously only my global moderators and I can see this, but it really does make it difficult to tell what goes with what. Had the same issue with the Style for the forum, chased down where to add the code that gave us back those lines, but I understand we can't access the style for the control panel?

As I said in the beginning of this post, overall response has been very positive.
Mobile users did report some issues with scrolling, but that turned out to be my fault for not setting images to be adjustable and because of some tables and H tags.
I did learn that it's important to not indicate height and width in image tags, but instead use something like this... style="max-width:100%; height:auto;" which allows them to be scaled down.

Considering all you had to do to get us this far, kudos for a job well done.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World
forum.pianoworld.com
Attachments
LinesMissing.png

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A significant amount of coding has gone into the v7.6 series, including a significant portion of "what is everyone else doing" to see how various aspects work with modern browsing habits (IE, why things changed). A huge portion of changes are for various Internet Standards, HTML5 (previously we where HTML4 then xHTML), CSS3, even the characterset. Various items in these standards change, especially when one is dropped in favor of another.

I'm going to lump all of your Safari issues into one response, Safari will do what Safari wants, and Safari doesn't care about things like "Internet Standards" which is a huge part of what our development stands for. If you're having issues in Safari, please please please test it in Chrome or Firefox to see if it's a "quirk".

Gallery: The display for the gallery has been completely redone, we touched base with content providers (video and photo sharing sites), other forums, even Facebook; things have been streamlined on those sites since it's their bread and butter, we've taken a lot of input from their designs. As for not being able to copy the links, right click on a photo after it appears in lightbox (the popup) and choose "Copy Image Source" (or whatever your browser calls it). Same for the attachments on a post (image attachments in v761 will run through image compression options to save space).

Top: I'm not sure why the top link isn't visible when logged in on each post, however there is still a top link in the footer on the right.

Time Zone, should be as simple as selecting your personal timezone in the "Edit Preferences" page, then clicking the "Save Changes" button to update the page; please see the above note for Safari. I just logged onto your forums and changed my timezone as expected.

The previous, index, next buttons where removed from above Quick Reply, primarily for mobile comfortably. The Next/Previous links exist at the top of all thread pages.

Forum Help: I'm on W10, just tested on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge and the forum help displays without issue (see attachment); do you have something installed on your browser that is blocking javascript?

Videos: Yeah, you have a "bug", keep in mind that YouTube has several variations of their URLs, the regex we use to identify videos (which is quite comprehensive) doesn't like the additional coding in the URL: &index=3&list=PLiZG7sumVGBmFCfSHoc66ojVQ8VdSWFmq

Lines: As I mentioned via email, the way that tables are built are different going on; and some places will eventually not even be tables in the future; the Control Panel saw a complete overhaul in v760, and some content areas will eventually see alternating columns, but the Control Panel updates where a significant reason why v760 took so long to get out of the door.
Attachments
piano.jpg

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Thanks Gizmo,

here's one reported by multiple users.
If they choose to stay logged in, it logs them out. If they don't, it keeps them logged in until they leave and come back, at which point they are once again logged out.

Is this a cookie issue?

Ex:
Frank,
I am having problems with the forum keeping me logged in. I have cookies enabled.
If I log in and select "keep me logged in" then as soon as I go to a forum I am no longer logged in.
If I log in and do not select 'keep me logged in" then it keeps me logged in for this session, but does not remember me the next time I visit.

All of my computers use Windows 10 ver .1703 with the most recent Edge browser.

Founder/Host
Piano World
https://PianoWorld.com
Home of the world famous Piano Forums.
http://forum.PianoWorld.com
88,000+ registered members
Over 2.5 million posts, and growing...
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The remember me checkbox when selected sets the cookie lifetime to "0", which in most browsers means "infinity", but in Internet Explorer and Edge (for whatever reason) it is read as "never".

When the checkbox is not selected the lifetime is set to the forum configuration set in the control panel.

IE/Edge users should not select the box to remember their login.

If you use the search function for "internet explorer" here on UBBCentral you'll see several reports over the v7 series regarding this, most recently "UBBCentral Login issue".

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29