Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260327 07/30/2017 4:32 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi all,

Can you please advise on how we can place image at a specific point and continue with text (NOT INLINE IMAGE).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
at the top of the forum is a link called "Forum Help." That page contains the answer your question.

How do I add an image to my message?
In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

[image ]http://www.example.com/image_name.gif[/image ]

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.example.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

[image ]http://www.example.com/pics/cateye.gif[/image ]

You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Your Profile group, click on "Edit Profile". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
isaac #260331 07/30/2017 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
isaac,

That was the first place that I went to but it did not answer the question as to placing images into the message.

I have since read that the bike forum had the same issue and they have to host the images for there member by uploading to a specific folder on their server in order to use the inline image loader which is provided by UBB.

It would be nice so that members could load straight from their PC to save a lot of work to be done by the admin of the forum.

If member use the likes of Photo bucket to store images and use the inline image section to have pictures on the forum and at a later date they delete the images they are lost for good.

I would hope that the next update would include the option where members can upload straight from the PC to the forum.

Outdoorking #260332 07/30/2017 10:10 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
its called "Attachment Manager." As a forum admin, you can enable it from the control panel per each forum or per each user group. This is not a new feature. It was previously called, "File Manager," and has been in the software for nearly two decades.

Veteran
Veteran
I believe what the post is originally about is adding images in post in an order to illustrate some sort of instruction. Now the attachment manager allows for images to be reduced at the bottom of the post and allows for someone to view the image slide show per say but not allow the actual images throughout the entire post.

Yes you may use the Image tag but only, perhaps 5%, or a few may have access to web space somewhere but many of these image hosting communities now charge $399.00 USD for off site hot linking. In the past images added into posts could be uploaded to the server but since the change there is now no options or abilities to use both, either, or none for image hosting since the change.

His entire point is that the ability to upload a picture in the post without using the shadow box slide show setup has no options and he and others would like to have that option over being trapped into using only the one way.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
please elaborate on "in the past." because you can still do this. no feature was removed or added to prevent doing this.

if a forum is setup with the stock post attachment features enabled, you dont need to post your attachments with any third-party website or software.

lightbox (you referred to it "shadow box") is a photo gallery presentation option. there is nothing stopping you from getting the url to the full sized attached image by right-clicking (or long-pressing if on mobile) on the attachment preview thumbnail, and choosing "copy image url" to use that inlined anywhere within your post.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
JAISP, are you referring to SD's non-stock PicUpload Modification?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps I may and I'm not sure Gizmo. It has been a long time since I was really into those features and can not remember. I do understand exactly what Outdoorking is asking about though.

isaac #260337 07/30/2017 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by isaac
please elaborate on "in the past." because you can still do this. no feature was removed or added to prevent doing this.

if a forum is setup with the stock post attachment features enabled, you dont need to post your attachments with any third-party website or software.

lightbox (you referred to it "shadow box") is a photo gallery presentation option. there is nothing stopping you from getting the url to the full sized attached image by right-clicking (or long-pressing if on mobile) on the attachment preview thumbnail, and choosing "copy image url" to use that inlined anywhere within your post.

Here is an example of what I am talking about (images within post) in the link below. We only have 10,000 + members and now have a history forum so that all members and guest can view.

Yes we did have in the past a third party image loader which worked with the old version of UBB but was hoping that UBB would adopt the same format.

Link CLICK HERE

Outdoorking #260338 07/30/2017 10:52 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Gizmo

Originally Posted by Outdoorking
Yes we did have in the past a third party image loader which worked with the old version of UBB but was hoping that UBB would adopt the same format.

Click the link in that URL. Its a list of reasons why that hack was bad. In summery, It broke many things, it wasnt mobile friendly, it wasnt server friendly, and the dev who sold it to you, never provided any further support for that hack.

• Did you contact him for an updated version?
• What did he say to you when you showed him the list of broken things in his hack?
• Have you asked him for an updated version that works with UBB.threads 7.6.0?
• Did he install it for you, or did you install it yourself?
• When the hack was installed to your forum, did it include, or were you given a notification disclaimer that the third-party hack may not work with future versions of your forum software?
• IIRC, there has been a longstanding awareness regarding most softwares that if you modify your scripts, and request support at a later date, you may be asked to remove your modifications before you can be assisted.

Getting back to your original question though; The 7.6.x series of UBB.threads is getting a lot of updates to compete directly with other current forum softwares. The handling of attachments is a major continuing effort that is part of these updates. I believe this topic has already been discussed to death (and with answers) over here and here

isaac #260354 08/02/2017 7:24 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by isaac

Originally Posted by Outdoorking

Click the link in that URL. Its a list of reasons why that hack was bad. In summery, It broke many things, it wasnt mobile friendly, it wasnt server friendly, and the dev who sold it to you, never provided any further support for that hack.

• Did you contact him for an updated version?
• What did he say to you when you showed him the list of broken things in his hack?
• Have you asked him for an updated version that works with UBB.threads 7.6.0?
• Did he install it for you, or did you install it yourself?
• When the hack was installed to your forum, did it include, or were you given a notification disclaimer that the third-party hack may not work with future versions of your forum software?
• IIRC, there has been a longstanding awareness regarding most softwares that if you modify your scripts, and request support at a later date, you may be asked to remove your modifications before you can be assisted.

Getting back to your original question though; The 7.6.x series of UBB.threads is getting a lot of updates to compete directly with other current forum softwares. The handling of attachments is a major continuing effort that is part of these updates. I believe this topic has already been discussed to death (and with answers) over here and here

In reply to your questions.

Because of cost for the updated version of the image uploader we have discontinued having it on the site because it would be to expensive a cost for future updates. We have gone back to the standard UBB software but it had issues with English file as it seems that it only supports US English (but that has been corrected now).

We have gone to the extent of having to give access to the server so that our Historian can be able to place images into forum post otherwise it tends to break the story in his post. He gets recognition world wide because of his research in the industry and we did not want to have issues with him because he could not place images in his post.

Anyway I am sure that in future UBB will end up with an image uploader like other forums in the future.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads ships with one stock language, US English; any additional languages are 3rd party and are not supported. We're more than happy to help you with possible issues from future translations, as we intend to do several updates in the future (moving language strings from being embedded in script files to the language files).

As for how you want things to display, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions towards an HTML5/CSS3 option with clean coding that're mobile capable and allows open licensing to commercial scripts.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I have created a fix for the hard coded English strings in the UBB to use the language files for those who need to convert their board to another language. You can locate this little modification in my site by following the link in my signature.

Remember to always make a complete backup of your files before you start any mod and also if you're not comfortable with doing this mod then have someone who is to help you. Every mod I create is fully tested.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I see that JAISP has taken it upon himself to move some hardcoded strings into language files, but note that if you use his 3rd party modification on your site that the language key names likely won't be the same as what is used in future builds (as we attempt to follow naming conventions); so basing your language files on them may give you additional work in the future.

Veteran
Veteran
As I had said in my thread directly as seen in the images cut right from that thread page........
Attachments
image.jpeg

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That's fine, and it's posted on your 3rd party site; however, it is not posted here where you are linking to your 3rd party content (such as placing advertising notices before ads on a site). The last thing we need is a group of people downloading something that they think is stock then complaining that it's missing later (such as the Photopost recurrence).

Gizmo #260360 08/03/2017 5:10 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The last thing we need is a group of people downloading something that they think is stock then complaining that it's missing later (such as the Photopost recurrence).

That, and the non-stock PicUpload Hack/Modification, as previously mentioned within this thread.

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah I'm sorry. I try to help those people out for free on my own time and dime that use other languages and such. In most communities and even this one in the past third party software was considered and in this product even incorporated into future releases.

Ok, you two win. I have about had enough of being always second rate to you and will never measure up to your so high and mighty standards. I will no longer support this community or this software brand in any way. Take care.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We are contracting for a vendor (UBBSystems); providing information about 3rd party code before a user leaves this site is a necessity as the vendor has the same policy on 3rd party content as we've always had here on the User to User Support Forums (the notice on the forums has been on the Feature Questions thread in the FAQ Forum since 2007).

If 3rd party coding allows licensing for commercial scripts, and it's included in a future release, it is then a part of the stock code and is then supported. As ALWAYS, 3rd party coding is supported at UBBDev when we have the time to review it, and a good portion of coding that is present in UBB.threads has come from UBBDev.

UBB.threads development is a side project for both Isaac and I, it is not a full time job. I myself have family obligations (with two children under thirteen, one of which is disabled), and we both have day jobs. We try to squeeze every ounce of our free time into working on UBB.threads, but there will always be more to do and progressing internet standards to work towards achieving.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29