Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260483 09/17/2017 10:56 PM
L
L Offline
I have just created some polls. I have set the poll results to only be shown after the poll is voted on.

As the admin I can vote and I see the results. As an anonymous user I can vote, but can not see the results. The page refreshes back to showing radio button to vote when it should show the results. As an admin I can see that the anonymous user's vote was added to the total. As a registered user I can vote and see the results. So..............

Is there a setting I missed, or is it a bug that poll results can't be seen by a "guest", or is that how polls are supposed to work?

Thank you in advance for help on this issue

Larry Miller #260484 09/18/2017 2:29 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Honestly, it may be considered a bug that a guest is allowed to vote at all. Unless the IP Address is logged (which isn't always static), I don't believe that there is a way to track a guest user to even know that they voted, since they are not a registered member, there is no UserID to attribute a vote to.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #260485 09/18/2017 7:03 AM
L
L Offline
Interesting answer...Thank you. I get what you're saying.

Larry Miller #260486 09/18/2017 12:30 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Once a VOTE is made, the IP address (and a UID) gets logged, and their cookie is updated. GUESTS and MEMBERS cannot vote twice.
** Members cannot get new IP numbers to vote with because their UID has been stored, and their cookie was updated.
** Guests cannot vote twice because their IP address was stored, and their cookie was updated.
** Both have a cookie set.
BUT, If a GUEST gets a new IP address and clears their cookies, they can vote again. This is true for most voting systems.
AND, If a MEMBER logs in to a secondary account from the same IP address (such as roommates / family, a person you may be sharing the computer with, etc.), they can vote again.

If a GUEST attempts to vote again, they are asked to login.
A GUEST may view the Poll Results, if they have access to the forum where the thread is located.

USERS can only vote if their GROUP has permission to the forum where the thread is located, and if their GROUP is given "Can vote in polls" permission within the Control Panel permissions settings pages.

The POLL settings within the Control Panel are:
Per GROUP: FORUM & SITE (see below)
FORUM: "Can create polls in topics" (GROUP) and "Can create polls in replies" (GROUP)
SITE: "Can vote in polls" (GROUP)

UNRELATED:
There is a display bug though. If a thread with a poll gets closed and no expiration time for the poll was set when it was created, the footer of the poll says, "Voting on this poll ends: [whatever todays time and date is]." If the thread is opened again, the line changes back to "Votes accepted starting [whenever the poll was created/allowed to start]."

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Larry Miller #260487 09/18/2017 12:34 PM
L
L Offline
Thank you for that very detailed response. For your information ALL of the suggested site/forum permissions were/are in place which is what prompted me to create my post. Onnce again, thank you for taking the time for your detailed reply

Larry Miller #260488 09/19/2017 3:38 PM
Assuming you have all the proper permissions set.
If you are testing with the same browser as admin and guest it could possibly be a cookie issue.
You might need to clear cookies with the mystuff menu to logout as admin before trying as a guest.
Please provide a link to a poll and I would be glad to try for you

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Larry Miller #260489 09/19/2017 3:58 PM
L
L Offline
Thanks for the offer to help. I removed the polls after getting the initial reply from Gizmo as he made some sense out the situation and am using a third party who offers polls.

Another issue I have with the UBB polls is the inability to edit or correct spelling after the poll is submitted. My bottom line is I prefer the UBB polls, but I have a large anonymous user base and Gizmo's reply caused me to make an immediate change.

Agin, thank you to you and to all who have replied. I truly appreciate the assistance and information.

Larry Miller #260490 09/19/2017 4:09 PM
editing a poll for issues such as grammar correction has always been a issue with polls. Even if nobody has voted yet.
The only way is to delete the post and start over.
Maybe someday we will get at least a preview page before submit.
The way it was explained to me is that you can't edit a poll after it is started. Since it would not be fair to the users if say you change the questions in the interim. Which makes sense but !!!!
But we should have some way of a preview to at least make sure it is what we want and edit before posting and allowing votes.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Larry Miller #260491 09/19/2017 4:13 PM
L
L Offline
Agreed..and thanks again.

Ruben #260492 09/19/2017 5:00 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
But we should have some way of a preview to at least make sure it is what we want and edit before posting and allowing votes.

why not just review your data as you enter it before hitting "submit." if its important and you want it correct, make sure its correct. just like in school when you would submit your homework for grading; you cannot update it after the teacher gets it.

another option is to just delete the poll, and start a new one. there is no need to delete the whole post. just delete the single poll.

yours is not a bad idea at all, and in the future there may be an option for the admin to edit only the questions in the poll, from the cp. but until that gets written in to the main program (or as an addon), just review what you enter before submitting it.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Larry Miller #260495 09/19/2017 5:34 PM
L
L Offline
The just delete and start again makes sense, however, I had more than one poll in the post..as many as 6 polls in one post, so the delete and start again option doesn't rock my plimsoul!!

As far as checking the work before hitting the submit button doesn't always work as it is easy to miss a misspelling or missing word.

The ability to have a preview before finalizing the poll would be nice to have.

Again, thanks to all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29