Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi,

When guests make a post, they're unable to see the auto-generated Image Verification graphic and cannot post as a result. This is the case for mobile and PC users.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from aliendisc.net]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You have quite a lot of invalid HTML in your includes files (div tags in the header insert for example (header insert is between the <head> tags, whereas the default header is for content above the forum)); please remove everything (even things that appear valid) from the HTML Includes page (yours is here) and see if the JavaScript libraries load properly.

You should also be using quotes ("") vs apostrophes ('') in your html coding. Additionally, you should also get the latest google analytics code; what you're using doesn't appear to be their current coding.

It's also good form to add your JavaScript before the </body> tag, which would go in the "Default Footer".

Last edited by Gizmo; 10/07/2017 11:36 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Journeyman
Journeyman
...is it possible that there's a virus? The registration page is squeezed in, some other pages have different dimensions, the layout changes when logged in versus logged out, date and time goes missing, the Display Settings have reset a few times... It all looked fine the other day, besides the missing/broken CAPTCHA graphic. When I refresh the page as a Guest making a new post, the CAPTCHA appears to load, but then the box collapses... Could this just be a Styles problem? I removed all the HTML Includes and tried, problem persisted... Re-added the logo code, SEO code, and the Javascript popup I've always had that opens the chat room window (no chat room at this time, not related)... Removed the Google Analytics and other code I didn't recognize. It did it again --- The Display Settings, all fields and checkboxes blank/unselected!

Anyways, I'm shutting down my laptop as it's 4:30 AM. I'm thinking maybe Google Chrome browser isn't seeing the live code as it should be (caches, etc). Thinking of using Firefox.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Sometimes a good rest is all that's needed to solve problems lol. Ignore all that. Everything is fixed except the CAPTCHA so far.

Well I personally don't like your skin.
To hard to read.
But anyway.
I would enable one of the default Virgin skins to be selectable.
You don't need to make it the default.
A menu option will appear at the bottom of the screen to select that theme.
Use that as a test base.
If it still is broken erase all the html includes, including any body loads,etc.
If it works then just start over on your custom theme.
Then add your custom html again.

Pure and simple trial and error.

PS,
Your mouse over hover is using the default light theme anyway.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/08/2017 4:35 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, the dark theme is not final and a light theme will be available later. There'll be a custom button for switching between the two under the navigation bar. I'll start from scratch and determine whether or not it's the skin or HTML Includes that's causing CAPTCHA issues... Again and all the way...

I guess you did not read my complete post.
I was offering a suggestion to diagnose the problem.

Not suggest a different theme to use.

I don't think it is a stock bug.
Other than it is a user induced bug.

You are using a non stock theme as well as custom html.
You need to eliminate both items.
Evaluate if the captcha is working as well as the other items.
Then proceed to add one variable at a time.

Currently you have to many items to eliminate out of the possibilities.

All of the stock themes have zero complaints on the issues you have.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Matt, does your server have ImageMagick installed? It's the preferred image binary, but it isn't always installed (whereas GD2 comes with PHP); it produces far clearer images and may fix the captcha issue if clearing your includes doesn't work.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Journeyman
Journeyman
Talked to my host and they don't have it, but said I could install ImageMagick. I'll look into it.

I did a fresh install of 7.6.0 under /forum and the GD2 CAPTCHA is still not working. I imagine this is a host issue.

Last edited by M4TT; 10/08/2017 8:52 PM. Reason: Additional information

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Ruben
I guess you did not read my complete post.
I was offering a suggestion to diagnose the problem.

Not suggest a different theme to use.

Any feedback about our forums is much appreciated.

I don't think it is a stock bug.
Other than it is a user induced bug.

You are using a non stock theme as well as custom html.
You need to eliminate both items.
Evaluate if the captcha is working as well as the other items.
Then proceed to add one variable at a time.

Currently you have to many items to eliminate out of the possibilities.

All of the stock themes have zero complaints on the issues you have.

I created a fresh install of UBB.threads, everything stock, and the CAPTCHA remains broken.

My web host left me a response:

ImageMagick is already installed on our servers. We run ImageMagick version 6.3.3. We have ImageMagick binaries. The path will vary depending on which ImageMagick binary which you need to use on our platform. The following are the two most common:
/usr/bin/resize
/usr/local/bin/convert

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by M4TT
My web host left me a response:

ImageMagick is already installed on our servers. We run ImageMagick version 6.3.3. We have ImageMagick binaries. The path will vary depending on which ImageMagick binary which you need to use on our platform. The following are the two most common:
/usr/bin/resize
/usr/local/bin/convert

Go to the control panel (CP -> Master Settings -> DB, Paths, & URLs -> Paths & URLs Tab -> ImageMagick Settings) and enter the paths for convert and mogrify as:
/usr/local/bin/convert
/usr/local/bin/mogrify

Then change the settings for the Gallery (CP -> Master Settings -> Gallery Settings) and Registration (CP -> Membership -> Registration Settings) CAPTCHA's to use ImageMagick

Additionally, there is also the reply page setting (CP -> Display Settings -> General -> New Post/Reply Page Settings).

Journeyman
Journeyman
Good eye Gizmo, unfortunately the changes haven't solved the problem... I did the changes to my stock test forum (/forum) and it has the same result... I'm almost temped to try a different hosting plan, as I have a feeling the server is the source of all this...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hmm, that's weird; I'm not sure what else to try...

I think you're at BlueHost (hard to tell when one's behind a CDN); if so then you'll want to make sure that you're on the Business Shared hosting (I guess it's "Pro" now), if you're on a shared hosting plan. Standard "shared" hosting is for small sites with minimal pages.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Slightly good news... I upgraded to a Business VPS that supports ImageMagick and the CAPTCHA loads a broken image until it's click refreshed for Internet Explorer, but doesn't function for Firefox or Chrome. My webhost, iPage, says everything on their end is set up to support ImageMagick and suggests its a script or browser issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gizmo, what web host do you recommend for UBB??

P.S.

I think the Installation Documentation here is out-of-date...

http://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php

Certain "777" permissions crashed the server triggering the following:

403 Forbidden
Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We've been playing with permutations to try to recreate your issue, but have fell short in being able to pinpoint exactly what is happening.

If you are going to flip hosts, make sure that you use the UBB.threads System Requirements Test to ensure that your environment has all of the capabilities needed to run UBB.threads.

I have a listing of recommended hosts that I have worked with here (note that my affiliate code with these providers is sent with each offsite link). isaac uses BlueHost Pro Shared Hosting, and I use a StableHost 4 slice VPS.

The documentation isn't out of date, a security setting on some servers (I believe it is a setting in SuPHP) will throw an error when a script is executed in a folder chmodded 777 or the script's chmod is set to 666; simply make sure the folder holding threads is chmodded 755 (and the admin folder) and that the ubbthreads.php and file is 644.

"Technically" the only files that need to be 666 are in the /cache_builders/custom, /includes, /languages, /styles/, and /templates/default/ folders, as these are the only ones with editors in the control panel (note that the /templates/compile, /templates/default, /cache, /includes, /session, /styles, /gallery, /uploads folders all need to be 777).

ModSecurity is a PHP Security module that has some rather strict default rules that can throw 403 errors as well.

What are the permissions on your /images/captcha folder and its contents? Is this a CPanel server? (time to grasp at straws)

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Gizmo
What are the permissions on your /images/captcha folder and its contents? Is this a CPanel server? (time to grasp at straws)

/images/captcha is set to 755. It is cPanel run on CentOS 6.4 x86_64 with 4GB of RAM.

Added the UBB.threads System Requirements Test and...

- The required PHP extension Iconv could not be found.

- PHP function "file_get_contents" does not allow remote content

- PHP 'max_input_vars' setting is currently set at or below the default setting (Current: 1000, Default: 1000)

- The 'max_execution_time' value (Default: 30) determines how long PHP can wait for a script to fully execute; we recommend a value of at least '60'

File Get Contents: Does NOT Allow External URLs
GZip: GZip is supported on this system.
Maximum Execution Time: 30 Seconds
Maximum UBB.threads Version: v7.6.x (UBBWiki: "Server Requirements and Suggestions")
Maximum Upload File Size: 2M (see php.net for more information)
Memory Limit: 384M
MySQL: MySQL v5.0 or newer is required; please manually check that you meet this requirement.
PHP Interface: cgi-fcgi
PHP Version: v5.4.45
Reported OS: Linux
Post Max File Size: 8M (can affect the upload size, see php.net for more information)
Time: The current, unadjusted, server time is: Thursday, October 19th, 2017 at 08:26 PM, UTC (+00:00)
ZLib: ZLib is supported on this system.

My web host is suggesting I embed Google ReCaptcha if all else fails... Not sure how well that will work with UBB.Threads if anyone's tried it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
4:13:29 PM System Thomson R has joined the chat!
4:17:33 PM Thomson R Can you please hold while I look into this for you? I should have some more information regarding your issue in 4-6 minutes.
4:17:55 PM Matt Thank you
4:19:41 PM Matt ModSecurity is a PHP Security module that has some rather strict default rules that can throw 403 errors as well.
4:24:37 PM Thomson R Thank you for being on hold.
4:25:15 PM Thomson R We do set the permission to 777 from here. Also it a huge security risk to your server. You can set it to 777 from your end if you wish.
4:27:07 PM Matt Ok, if I set a few directories to 777, I won't receive a lockout error when a script is executed?
4:27:18 PM Matt It's happened before...
4:27:54 PM Thomson R Can you please hold while I look into this for you? I should have some more information regarding your issue in 4-6 minutes.
4:28:08 PM Matt Thank you
4:32:05 PM Thomson R Thank you for being on hold. It is almost certain you will get an error. I am sorry.
4:33:07 PM Matt Okay, there's no way to bypass this error? Otherwise, I will need to cancel the VPS plan and move to a new host that allows for 777 and 666.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If it's a VPS you should have root access; the exact error should be in your web logs when an error occurs, it should mention some security issue and note the variable that's causing the problem; it's how I've found it before anyhow.

You could just do as I mentioned and have the ubb in a folder that isn't 777 and have the admin folder chmodded 755 and everything should run (the only thing that HAS to be 777 or 666 is if the content in them will be edited from the control panel (such as a language file or template) or will interract with the system (like attachments, galleries, includes folders).

Last edited by Gizmo; 10/20/2017 6:39 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I will give it a shot tonight, I have a feeling this could be the cause of the CAPTCHA issue...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ok, I just looked up how I fixed this on a client server last year; I modified the SuPHP config file (which in his case was in /opt/suphp/etc/suphp.conf, and commonly it can be found in /etc/suphp.conf, yours may vary) and I changed:
Code
allow_file_group_writeable=false
allow_file_others_writeable=false
allow_directory_group_writeable=false
allow_directory_others_writeable=false

to
Code
allow_file_group_writeable=true
allow_file_others_writeable=true
allow_directory_group_writeable=true
allow_directory_others_writeable=true

Journeyman
Journeyman
Sad, sad, news. Situation hasn't changed, except I can chmod 777 & 666 the required directories now. I've managed to change the suphp.conf to allow all true and reinstalled UBB.threads according to the Installation Guide and the Image Verification image remains blank for Guests...

Display Settings: General > New Post/Reply Page Settings: GD2 & ImageMagick images are visible.

My Samsung phone browser and Internet Explorer loads a broken image, but I have to click the broken image to request a new one. Firefox and Chrome, blank.

Freshly installed test directory (/1).

UBB.threads System Requirements Test

System Requirements Not Met

The following system requirements were not met. Please contact your host for help.

The required PHP extension Iconv could not be found. Please ask your host to install this extension. Please see UBBWiki: iconv

Possible Problems

Possible problems have been detected, please see the individual messages below for more information.

It would seem that the PHP function "file_get_contents" does not allow remote content, please advise your host that you need the setting "allow_url_fopen" to be enabled; if it remains disabled you will be unable to use the Stop Forum Spam functionality. Please see UBBWiki: allow_url_fopen

Additional Information
File Get Contents: Does NOT Allow External URLs
GZip: GZip is supported on this system.
Maximum Execution Time: 60 Seconds
Maximum UBB.threads Version: v7.6.x (UBBWiki: "Server Requirements and Suggestions")
Maximum Upload File Size: 2M (see php.net for more information)
Memory Limit: 384M
MySQL: MySQL v5.0 or newer is required; please manually check that you meet this requirement.
PHP Interface: cgi-fcgi
PHP Version: v5.4.45
Reported Host: www.aliendisc.net
Reported OS: Linux
Reported Port: 443 (443 indicates SSL)
Post Max File Size: 8M (can affect the upload size, see php.net for more information)
Time: The current, unadjusted, server time is: Sunday, October 22nd, 2017 at 04:16 AM, UTC (+00:00)
ZLib: ZLib is supported on this system.

You never did confirm what the contents are in images/captcha. That Gizmo asked about.
stock code should be two jpg files and one html file.
background1.jpg,background2.jpg and index.html.

All other files should be deleted.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
stock code should be two jpg files and one html file.
background1.jpg,background2.jpg and index.html.
Although this is correct for 7.5.x (Feb2009 - Jan2015), M4TT is currently running 7.6.0 (Feb2017)

The files within those UBB.threads 7.6.0 directories are as follows:

\images\captcha\
\images\captcha\index.html

\images\captcha\backgrounds\
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background1.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background2.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background3.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background4.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background5.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background6.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\background7.jpg
\images\captcha\backgrounds\index.html

\images\captcha\fonts\
\images\captcha\fonts\bullpen_.ttf
\images\captcha\fonts\eflb.ttf
\images\captcha\fonts\index.html
\images\captcha\fonts\soopafresh.ttf

---

The issue that seems to be breaking things is a php security setting. This is related to how Gizmo was able to fix it on a server a year ago. Its also why the exact same files and settings will work on UBBCentral.com, UBBDev.com, Gizmo's Websites, my development & live websites -- but not my sandbox website, and also not on M4TT's website. M4TT and all of my websites are all using Bluehost. Most of my properties can generate captchas just fine, whereas two of them cannot -- although mine are all on the same exact server box. I am using a combination of php 5.6 and 7.1, and have different php.ini files for some specific scripts im using (non-ubbt galleries, rss clients, wordpress...etc)

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Okay I stand corrected.
Still any extraneous files should be deleted. If they exist.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/24/2017 6:00 PM.

Blue Man Group
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm currently transferring over to Stable Host with their VPS VZ-4096 plan with cPanel and managed support...

It's crucial that I have the guest posting feature for my users chatting about UFOs and other fringe topics.
They just need to get on and post right away, conveniently, with the added privacy of not having to register.

I'll let everyone know how it goes as soon as I can, thank you for all your support along the way!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
@M4TT

In /scripts/captcha.inc.php

FIND:
Code
		$id = md5(uniqid($user_ip . microtime()));
		echo "$id&t=$type";

REPLACE WITH:
Code
		$id = md5(uniqid($user_ip . microtime()));
		if (!$type) {$type = "{$config['GRAPHICS_LIBRARY']}";}
		echo "$id&t=$type";

This should resolve the broken captcha issues for you smile

NOTES:
Basically, there is a "t" variable expected to be passed through the URL in to the $type string. But its not always passed. When it doesnt get passed, the script just fails to generate any output because there is no graphics library type specified. Reasons for it not being passed? Possibly due to the vars setting on the server is limited, or is configured to only take the first set of vars sent -- rather than head down a rabbit hole for taking a var from one script, and then taking the next one from another script, and then taking the next one from another script --- security stuff. Especially for servers with newer versions of php installed. I'm just taking a wild guess at that conclusion since the vars get passed on some php configurations, but not others.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ahhh!! It's working now!! I can finally see the image generate first thing!!

THANK YOU!! laugh You have no idea how happy and excited I am right now lol.

and RELIEVED! tired

Now I have to reverse my host swap and domain transfer if that's even possible! facepalm

Maybe I'll just allow the domain to transfer and update the nameservers accordingly. Yes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That was a fun "grasping at straws" bug check, lol.

BTW, once a domain transfer has started it can't be canceled (at least after it's been approved), and I believe that there is a waiting period before it can be transferred again.

M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M Offline
I have been having the same issue, and after some debugging, I found that it was a permission issue.

This directory was not set to 755:

/images/captcha

It was set to 664 after the previous upgrade for some reason.

Now captcha is working fine.

I hope this helps someone.

Today they call you "crazy".
Tomorrow they call you "ahead of your time".

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29