Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi,

Upon adding a new Group with a new Group Image, I noticed that users who had an image set before the change, would end up losing what they had saved for their profile and had to re-apply their group image(s)... Could this be fixed or is this just something unavoidable? I'm using the Group function as a way for my users to earn new "badges" (Group Images) for special events and eventually, competitions. The concept is, if they win a competition, they'll be added to a group with a new image (badge) for their profile.

I think it's a great rewarding system... i.e. What I've got going on now is, the first 100 registered users receive a badge (image) because they've been added into a custom group that's only for the first 100 registered users... and for December, active users in the month receive a limited edition 2017 Holiday Tree... lol. smile Anyways, I hope creating further new groups can somehow stop resetting what users have chosen to display on their profile...
Attachments
GroupScreen.png ProfileBadges.png

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from aliendisc.net]
They should be able to just edit their profile and select the ones they want.
That way it is their choice if they want to add back the old image.

For exmple I am a moderator here but another image on this post makes it a little cluttered.
So I prefer to not display the moderator badge.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/12/2017 5:41 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Journeyman
Journeyman
The problem is when I create a new group, all group images get reset from all my users that chose to display what they wanted and they'd need to go back into editing their profile to display what they want again... There group image setting gets reset as a result of creating a new group.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Okay not knowing how you add groups.
Or at least add members to a new group.
There is a field on the main group screen. called posts.
It is for auto promote to a group after x many posts
The disabled ones should be zero."0"
You have several that are null. According to your screenshot.
Plus users set to a 1 post.
I would set them all to a "0" if it were me.

Is not the users group your default registration group?
If you allow guests to post they auto promote to a user group after one post.
Even if they don't register.

If you don't desire a auto promote.
Maybe when you create a group it is adding them without your intervention if it does not have a zero in that field..

But in any case it has always been when adding a member to a new group that they elect to use the new group image.
It should not delete the existing group images they have already.
And there has never been any notification that they have a new image to use.
Now if you change an existing image that works without a member intervention..

Last edited by Ruben; 12/12/2017 5:38 PM.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The posts column number means "they make this many posts and they get upgraded"; you'll want to reset Users back to the 0 it was by default, unless you plan to have it set that users are in a temporary group until they hit a specified amount of posts.

If you wanted to make that First 100 group be where people go after making 100 posts, you'd put 100 in the posts column.

As for adding a new group and existing ones being cleared out, the create group routine is extremely basic, there isn't anything in there that would change any existing groups, feel free to take a look at /admin/docreategroup.php; the only thing I can think of is if the auto group assignment of "1 post" in the users group could be throwing things off.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Giz, I think you missed the issue.
He is talking about the badges in edit profile>forum profile
When added to a new group with a unique image.
Then you need to edit your profile to select the existing additional images so the old ones display again or re-select which ones to appear in your profile.

For example my profile shows the 15 year badge but not my moderator badge because I choose so.
If I get promoted to a new group with a different image I would loose the 15 year badge and need to edit my profile to make it appear again.
Also as I recall there is no notification to the member they have now become a member of a new group, Nor to visit their profile to edit what images they wish to appear.

Granted he still needs to edit the post count field to match what he wants/needs.it to be.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/14/2017 6:35 PM.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29