Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Geoff), 65 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR; USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
isaac 48
Gizmo 38
Geoff 32
Morgan 30
ECNet 17
Mark S 11
JAISP 10
Ruben 9
Bert 8
Latest Photos
Chinese Buddhist temple.
My buddha beads.
Rendered Walls
Multi-Screen wallpaper
Stockholm Metro
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Turning off all email notifications #260731
12/22/17 04:30 AM
12/22/17 04:30 AM
BellaOnline Offline OP

old hand
BellaOnline  Offline OP

old hand
My forums have been around for so long that there can be nearly 100 people on a given thread's conversation list. If the thread becomes active again by new posters all those 'new post' email messages go out and I get tagged as a spammer. I'm trying to just turn off all the email notifications for now.

I tried using

update ubbt_user_profile set user_email_watchlists = 0;

but then I still got a bounceback from someone. Is there something else I should try setting, to turn off those email messages on the new posts?

Thanks.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 57,000 members / 800,000 posts
Express Hosting
Express Hosting "We are the official hosting company of UBB.threads. Ask us about our free migration services to migrate your UBB.threads installation."
Re: Turning off all email notifications [Re: BellaOnline] #260733
12/22/17 07:31 PM
12/22/17 07:31 PM
Portland, OR; USA
Gizmo Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
Your database query should disable emailing of watched lists, I'm not sure why users would receive mail for watched topics if that setting was disabled. You should note, however, that we cannot support anything having to do with queries being executed directly on the database outside of the stock queries within UBB.threads ("Email Updates To Follow Lists" is a setting in the member management system as of v7.6).

If you really want to stop all emails coming from UBB.threads you could append "-- Invalid --" in the SMTP configuration (CP -> Master Settings -> Primary Settings -> General Tab -> Advanced Settings -> Use specified SMTP Server); which would stop all forum mailings, as you requested. This will also disable new registration, new private message, birthday, etc. emails.

Personally, I'd research all of the instances of "$mailer = new mailer();" and edit out the mailer coding for any emails you'd like disabled.

Please note that both of these are completely unsupported, especially editing of UBB.threads stock code.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Re: Turning off all email notifications [Re: BellaOnline] #260735
12/23/17 01:33 PM
12/23/17 01:33 PM
Lutz,FL
Ruben Offline

Ruben  Offline

Lutz,FL
This is the second time in 30 days this issue has come up with notifications causing blacklisting.
Maybe it is time to re-evaluate this issue.
Possibly have a primary email account for registrations and a secondary email account for all the other notifications for notifications that cause issues (like a email list server or Third party email account) option.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/23/17 01:37 PM.

Blue Man Group

There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Re: Turning off all email notifications [Re: BellaOnline] #260736
12/23/17 03:09 PM
12/23/17 03:09 PM
California
isaac Offline
UBB.threads Developer
isaac  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
California
@Lisa
Have you looked at who you're getting a bounce back from?

Is this from an account who has recently edited their settings for emailed post notifications turned ON?

Is this from a new account?
edit: How are your new account settings -- are they set to default all new posts/Watch Lists are emails?
I believe "user #1" is the template for which all new registration settings are based off.

Are you sure the bounce back was related to a post? Rather, It could have been a PM notification.

Code
UPDATE `ubbt_USER_PROFILE` SET `USER_NOTIFY_ON_PM` = 'yes';

Furthering on what Gizmo posted above;
What was the result of your query when you ran it?

Code
0 row(s) affected by your query.

Did you run your query from the Database Tools > SQL Command screen within UBB.threads, or from an external SQL tool?
Your external tool may require also specifying a database name prior to the table name,

Did you take care in using the correct letter CASE of the tables which are in your database? They are case sensitive.

THIS:
Code
update ubbt_user_profile set user_email_watchlists = 0;

IS NOT THE SAME AS THIS:
Code
UPDATE `ubbt_USER_PROFILE` SET `USER_EMAIL_WATCHLISTS` = '1';

Further reading at:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/196068/re-couple-of-questions#Post196068

---

@Ruben
Blacklisting is mail provider specific. For example, emails to @aol.com and @hotmail.com addresses may always get sent to the recipient, @gmail.com may put you on to a blacklist. In addition, if you are not clear in your email footer about how to unsubscribe, a email host may automatically stick you on their blacklist, regardless if you only ever send a few items a day/week.

---

Some final words on emails / bounces / blacklisting...
Is the email server your' sending from using any type of security or encoding the messages before being sent? Or are you sending them from a plain text mailer?

How about your mail server; are you the only person sending from it? or are you on a shared mail server IP address, where others from the same hosting company are sending out emails from. It could be that those others are getting your addresses blacklisted as a spammer.

This could also be true for if you're on shared hosting and are placed on a box with 2,000 other accounts. Of which, a few accounts offer adult related content or "medications." You'd be classified in that same set also -- and possibly blacklisted. All because of the few accounts shared on the same box as you. Similar blacklisting could happen if the topics on your forums are of the "sensitive topics" categories.

Shout Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
Subscription Pending Auto Update to Active
by Geoff. 01/18/18 09:04 AM
7.6.1.1 Custom Tag Editor (YouTube)
by Mark S. 01/15/18 02:58 PM
Enable Spider Friendly Urls Issues
by Geoff. 01/15/18 11:32 AM
Restore 'member #' like UBB.classic
by mmkk. 01/14/18 09:18 AM