Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
Ok, I have to start that I am completely unfamiliar with UBB, UBB Classic and UBB Threads. That said, in the deep bowels of the internet we have been hosting a forum which is rather old ... and has been broken most likely beyond simple repair by an Upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 18.04.

Our tech guy said that he found in the source code that the forum is v 1.102.2.3 -- copyright 2003 AD.

So, my question --- and it seems that the answer is a definite maybe --- is if there is an upgrade/conversion path?

And please ... I absolutely know that this should have been upgraded. We inherited this problem. When I asked the site owner, he responded ... "First of all, the look and feel of the software is totally different from UBB Classic, and a poll of our users at a time when we were fairly active was unanimous in rejecting any thought of moving to UBB Threads. Second, at the time we were considering it, there was no way to convert the existing UBB Classic board to UBB Threads. It required starting from scratch." ... but http://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_old_ubb.php seems to indicate differently.

So, as I do not have access personally to the license this client would have and therefore cannot access the member area, I am hoping that someone can confirm if there is indeed an upgrade path and possibly shed some light on what it is. I would suspect it would require a reinstall of an older version (or two) and if that is indeed the case, are those older versions still available even?

Thanks in advance for any and all input! smile

Al

I have been here a long time and I do not recall a version v 1.102.2.3.
2003 should have beel like version 5.X-6.x

Could be one of the old free test versions? that got upgraded to a full license.

But anyway if it is indeed ubbclassic it probably needs to be upgraded twice once to the last ubb classic version then to ubbthreads.
What is the url you have for the site. Even if it is now broken..
That may give a clue to what it is.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/20/2018 2:48 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
The landing page for the forum is /cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I am still awaiting the license information from the owner.

In the meantime, thanks for clarifying that there will be two upgrades needed. Can you offer more information on the upgrade process? I assume that the raw data files can be used - or is there some export function in the admin area that needs to be run? If the former, no problem. If the latter, then we will have to find some place to install the version that the client is running to do so. As you mention two upgrades, are those versions still available for install to do the upgrades of the data? How would the license holder (or us) be able to obtain them?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. smile

Last edited by Alento; 10/20/2018 9:32 PM. Reason: Added more questions.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Seeing "/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi" tells me that you are at least on UBB-Classic v6. The earlier versions, UBB v2000 to UBB v5.x, were "/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" and "/cgi-bin/ultimate.cgi" respectively.

1) You will first need to upgrade your UBB-Classic 6 to UBB.threads 6.
UBB.threads 6 requires PHP 4 and will not work with PHP 5 or newer. UBB.threads 6 was released at the end of 2003.

2) Then you can directly upgrade your UBB.threads 6 to UBB.threads 7.5.6. I Believe this step also requires PHP 4.
For that procedure, you can follow the directions listed here:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_import.php

Once you are at UBB.threads 7.5.6, you can then switch to PHP 5.4 - 5.6 and upgrade directly to the most current UBB.threads release version at this time, which is UBB.threads 7.6.2.

TIP:
If you dont have a Linux box that you can easily change php versions with, this procedure can be done on a Windows box (or VM) using XAMPP. Then exporting your files and database and importing them to your Linux server and modifying your /includes/config.inc.php file with the correct paths:

XAMPP for Windows 1.6.8 [PHP 4.4.9]
and then
XAMPP for Windows 5.6.38 [PHP 5.6.38]

ABOUT XAMPP: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
DOWNLOADS: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP%20Windows/

A word of caution when working with Windows and SQL Databases, is that you need force case sensitive table names.

in C:\xampp\mysql\bin
FIND: [mysqld]
PLACE UNDER IT: lower_case_table_names = 2
So that it looks like this:
Code
# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
lower_case_table_names = 2
port= 3306
NOTES:
UBB.threads 7.6.2 supports PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.6
UBB.threads 7.6.2 is the last major version which does not support PHP 7.
UBB.threads 7.7.0 and going forward, will support PHP 5.5+ and PHP 7.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
Ok, thank you! I have been able to determine that the version is 6.5.0. So will there not be an upgrade to v 6.7.3 that I keep seeing mention of?
Also it seems if I have been understanding correctly, that there is no need to actually install the different versions, rather just to run a conversion/upgrade script?
I am hoping that a major part of the battle has been won by identifying the running version. smile

Do you know if I will be able to import from UBB.threads 7.5,6 which uses PHP v 4 directly to UBB.threads 7.7.0 which will support PHP 7? Our client will not be allowed to install any version lower than this as the server is running PHP 7.2 at this point.

One thing that I am kind of unclear on ... the client was running UBB.classic 6.5.0 and our server was running PHP 5.6, so it is not making sense to me that UBB.threads 6.x would require PHP 4 ... can you elaborate?

Again, I appreciate everyone's assistance. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are overlaps in the version numbers between UBB-Classic (Perl/cgi-bin) and UBB.threads (PHP). This has caused some confusion in the early years. The naming of the former version from "UBB" to "UBB-Classic" was intended to reduce much of that confusion.

You were able to run UBB-Classic on a server running php 5 because UBB-Classic did not use PHP. It used a flat file system for users and posts. no SQL databases at all.

Once you move away from UBB-Classic, you will be able to upgrade from UBB.threads 7.5.6 directly to UBB.threads 7.7.0.

I'm still working on 7.7.0 as we speak. there is a dependence on an major asset that was not written by UBB, but that ubb heavily relies on. I mention this because that asset is compatible with PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1, but not PHP 7.2. This is still all being worked out as UBB.threads version 7.7.0 is continuing its development. Many things may or may not change over this next major version.

P
P Offline
Originally Posted by isaac
1) You will first need to upgrade your UBB-Classic 6 to UBB.threads 6.
UBB.threads 6 requires PHP 4 and will not work with PHP 5 or newer. UBB.threads 6 was released at the end of 2003.
Actually, the UBB.classic import script is for UBB.threads 7. It may need some minor adjustments for the 7.6/7.7 series

The included redirect script ultimatebb.php definitely need some changes after it still uses $HTTP_SERVER_VARS in the find_environmental function.

I have been successful with classic 6.5 directly to ubbthreads7.6.0. using the import script.
The site did not have any modifications to the code
But for some reason no success with polls.
I had to do it off line with xampp-win32-1.7.3 because the host was using php 5.6 and I kept getting errors on the import script. and I could not downgrade php due to other php software used on the site.
Then just transfer the files and database to the host..
Update settings in config.inc.php

The big annoyance is many shared hosting accounts have limits on how big a db they allow to import.
You can have a large database and usually you can download it but upload is the item of concern.
Some hosts will import the database for you. Or you can try tools like SQLDumpSplitter or bigdump
Iit has always been suggested many times to upgrade to the last version Classic 6-7-3 first, Then run the import script to get to ubbThreads.
I assume the reason is to cleanup the Classic files for import, due to misc. reasons like compatibility with the import script and mods.

Blue Man Group
Thinking out loud.
With everything said.
You should understand that your version does not use php nor mysql..
It only uses perl. To a point unless you use the php accelerator.
So technically it should still run with the server update you had..
If:
1:) perl is installed to support cgi files( This is so old I don't recall what versions are supported.)
2:) path to perl has not changed-(This can be corrected by editing a few classic files if it has changed:ultimatebb.cgi, cp.cgi, and ubb_upgrade.cgi.)
3:)Your version should have a accelerator php file that does use php., If you turned it on then it may attempt to run php and may crash if the new php version is not compatible.
This can be turned off via the ubb control panel. Or ftp to the site and edit the var files.( If you can access the control panel this probably is the problem, Since only the main forum will use it if the path to Perl has not changed)

Looking at your post the control panel should be at /cgi-bin/cp.cgi
But you need admin access to login.
The setting is at:
Primary Settings. On the General tab
Also if path to Perl has changed you will need to edit at least ultimatebb.cgi, cp.cgi, and ubb_upgrade.cgi at the top of the page.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/21/2018 3:17 PM. Reason: Added comment.

Blue Man Group
Question.
Are we at a milestone that says starting with UBB v7.7 it will only work with php 7.x?
Or did I miss a post somewhere?

If I did what php versions will be supported with ubb 7.7?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
From what I'm seeing looking at PHP7.2+ is that there will likely be very little compatible with PHP5; at some point there will need to be a final version for PHP5 support, but we're not 100% sure when that line will be drawn.

If you look at the previous versioning you'll see that we've done this in the past for PHP4, PHP5, PHP5.3, PHP5.4, and now for PHP7 and PHP7.2+ support; its just how it is, newer functions that're introduced require newer PHP builds.

Keeping up with evolving standards is a significant amount of work and is done in phases, working towards PHP7 support is what we've been doing for several years now and involves a lot of steps since we require our shipped libraries to support the systems that you run UBB.threads on. PHPMailer6 for example will only run on PHP 5.5+, PHPMailer 5.2 (which we currently ship) however will not run on PHP7.1+.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Okay.
So I can assume when it is released that there will be updates on server software compatibility?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
Okay.

So I can assume when it is released that there will be updates on server software compatibility?
Ruben, that was mentioned here.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...hreads-7-7-0-progress-reports#Post261733

Please stay on topic smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As Isaac posted here, UBB.threads v7.7 will require PHP 5.5+; if one requires support for PHP builds prior to PHP5.5 they'll need to install the appropriate outdated version.

New branches on the UBB.threads release tree will be worked on, we will not be maintaining more than one tree of versions (aka, you install UBB.threads 7.6.2 for support on PHP5.4, it will not continue getting new features as we'll be working on UBB.threads 7.7)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Philipp
Actually, the UBB.classic import script is for UBB.threads 7. It may need some minor adjustments for the 7.6/7.7 series

The included redirect script ultimatebb.php definitely need some changes after it still uses $HTTP_SERVER_VARS in the find_environmental function.
The importer script will work to import into UBB.threads 7.2, you'll need to upgrade from that build as UBB.threads v7.3 added the Global Moderator group which assigned itself the previous moderator group id; importing directly to the latest build will make all of your users moderators, and your moderators GMs.

Phillipp, are you representing Alento's forum? I'm confused why you just interjected comments about the redirect script into a discussion about importing UBBCGI to UBB.threads...

If Alento's forums are not currently up and running, and on a RECENT BUILD of UBB.Classic, the redirector scripts will not work as they will be assuming locations are from within the final series of the product. He'll likely not be using the redirect scripts at all as UBBCGI is not UBB.Classic, and certainly nowhere near the final builds of UBB.Classic (which the redirect scripts would assume).

If these forums are still up and running, do you have a location to them for myself or Isaac to take a look at? We'd need to know exact versions, and it sounds like you're talking about UBB.Classic, but you mention v1 which would have been UBBCGI.

The big thing here is, the import may just not work, and I myself wouldn't be comfortable working on a project that just outright may not work (as I charge for my time as a service) and the outcome from such an old relic may just be that you may need to make an archive (no new posts/registrations/logins allowed) and start new.

For the record, the path I'd take for upgrading would be: Ancient -> UBB.Classic v6.7 -> UBB.threads v7.2 -> UBB.threads Current; now, getting your ancient to a build capable of being imported to UBB.threads Current is a huge issue, depending on the actual version of whatever product, you'd still need to get to the v6.7 series to import to modern, so you'd likely have to see what builds of UBB.CGI would have to be imported to UBB.Classic (UBBCGI and UBB.Classic are different products, just like WWWThreads and UBB.threads are different products) then you can import Classic to Threads.

Also, UBB.Classic/UBBCGI are Perl scripts, and shouldn't really matter as far as PHP builds go, with the exception being the "UBB Accelerator" built into UBB.Classic; but UBB.C has been End of Life since UBB.threads7 was released on October 5th, 2006.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
As Isaac posted here, UBB.threads v7.7 will require PHP 5.5+; if one requires support for PHP builds prior to PHP5.5 they'll need to install the appropriate outdated version.

New branches on the UBB.threads release tree will be worked on, we will not be maintaining more than one tree of versions (aka, you install UBB.threads 7.6.2 for support on PHP5.4, it will not continue getting new features as we'll be working on UBB.threads 7.7)
Okay Thanks,
that is the answer I was looking for.
But that post was not part of this post.
Originally Posted by Isaac
NOTES:
UBB.threads 7.6.2 supports PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.6
UBB.threads 7.6.2 is the last major version which does not support PHP 7.
UBB.threads 7.7.0 and going forward, will support PHP 5.5+ and PHP 7.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I literally just emerged from a 3 day backpacking trip in the Mt Hood National forest; the information from my post 8 minutes ago came directly from the post I linked to.

P
P Offline
Phillipp, are you representing Alento's forum?
No, I am the original author of the UBB.classic => UBB.threads import script as well UBB Accelerator. I was just surprised how complicated it is to import a predecessor to a current UBB.threads installation.

I'm confused why you just interjected comments about the redirect script into a discussion about importing UBBCGI to UBB.threads...
I was talking about the redirection scripts that are included in the ubbclassic_6_7_import.zip. These redirection scripts are necessary to redirect any existing UBB.classic links to the new UBB.threads installation.

3:)Your version should have a accelerator php file that does use php., If you turned it on then it may attempt to run php and may crash if the new php version is not compatible..
This is a possibility. If UBB Accelerator worked previously in Ubuntu 14.04/PHP 5.5 then there might be an easy fix by removing line 55 from ultimatebb.php:
PHP Code
set_magic_quotes_runtime(0); 
The function set_magic_quotes_runtime is no longer available in PHP 7 and cause a PHP Fatal error on never versions of PHP

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hello Philipp E. Its good to see you again, after all these years smile welcome back

UBB.classic Import Script Version 4.0 (May 27, 2006): ubbclassic_6_7_import.zip
* for UBB.threads 7.0 and Higher only
* Developed by Philipp Esselbach (office@esselbach.com)
* Further developed by Dave Dreezer and Charles Capps
* Then ripped apart and put back together by Rick Baker
* Thanks to Ian Spence for making it completely awesome.
* Copyright Groupee, Inc. 2006

As a note, the current version of UBB.threads is not compatible with PHP 7 either. The script package you're referring to (ubbclassic_6_7_import.zip) is a script to convert 2001/2002 UBB-Classic 6 (Perl/CGI) to 2004 UBB.threads 7.0 (PHP).

I would recommend that since this script has not changed since May 2006, and there have been many changes to UBB.threads database structure with each release series, is that it only be used for upgrading UBB-Classic 6.7 to the UBB.threads 7.0 series (version 7.0.0 was released October 2006). It should not be used to upgrade to any any of the 7.1 series or newer.

Please lets not confuse the matter by then talking about a version of PHP 7 that didnt even come to scene until December 2015, and isn't even compatible with any current publicly available version of UBB.threads. At the time of this post, that would be Ubb.threads 7.6.2, released September 2018.

UBB.threads Import Script Version 1.1 (March 03, 2007): ubbthreads_6_5_import.zip
* for UBB.threads 7.0 and Higher only
* Program authors: Rick Baker, Charles Capps
* Copyright (C) 2008 Groupee, Inc..

There is another package (ubbthreads_6_5_import.zip) which can be used to import the UBB.threads 6.x series in to UBB.threads 7.0 series.

Again, I would recommend that since this script has not changed since March 2007, and there have been many changes to UBB.threads database structure with each release series, is that it only be used for upgrading UBB.threads series 6 to the UBB.threads 7.0 series (version 7.0.0 was releases October 2006). It should not be used to upgrade to any any of the 7.1 series or newer.

This script also includes 3 files which can forward on-the-fly, old links in to the UBB.threads 6 format, to UBB.threads 7.x format. Those files are postlist.php, showflat.php, and showthreaded.php. Those three scripts have nothing to do with upgrading the software, or even converting the software from Perl/CGI to PHP. They just forward URLs.

As a reminder, the conversion/upgrade/forward...etc scripts in this discussion are all over a decade old. They are from 2006 and 2007, respectively.

PHP 5.2 was just being release in November 2006, and PHP 5.3 later in June 2009. To discuss PHP 7, Release December 2015, and compatibility with these untouched scripts, just seems pointless unless that is the new topic of this discussion, and there is true intent to actually upgrade those script and bring them current PHP standards.

Once you get your UBB-Classic in to UBB.threads 7.0 (requires PHP4 and will not work with PHP5), you can then use the UBB.threads upgrader script (included as part of the UBB.threads 7.6.2 install archive) to take you to the current UBB.threads 7.6.2 version, which works with PHP5.4 to PHP5.6.

Notes:
UBB.threads series 7.6 (September 2018) => UBB.threads series 7.1 (February 2007)
UBB.threads 7.6 series
• Version 7.6.2 - Released September 18th, 2018
• Version 7.6.1 - Released January 1st, 2018
• Version 7.6.0 - Released Febuary 15th, 2017

UBB.threads 7.5 series
• Version 7.5.9 - Released January 27th, 2015
• Version 7.5.8 - Released November 29th, 2013
• Version 7.5.7 - Released December 12th, 2012
• Version 7.5.6 - Released August 21st, 2010
• Version 7.5.5 - Released February 10th, 2010
• Version 7.5.4 - Released October 26th, 2009
• Version 7.5.3 - Released May 14th, 2009
• Version 7.5.2 - Released March 23rd, 2009
• Version 7.5.1 - Released March 20th, 2009
• Version 7.5.0 - Released February 24th, 2009

UBB.threads 7.4 series
• Version 7.4.2 - Release January 12th, 2009
• Version 7.4.1 - Release November 10th, 2008
• Version 7.4.0 - Release October 16th, 2008

UBB.threads 7.3 series
• Version 7.3.1 - Release June 23rd, 2008
• Version 7.3.0 - Release May 7th, 2008

UBB.threads 7.2 series
• Version 7.2.2 - Release August 28th 2007
• Version 7.2.1 - Release August 17th, 2007
• Version 7.2.0 - Release July 16th, 2007

UBB.threads 7.1 series
• Version 7.1.1 - Release April 18th, 2007
• Version 7.1.0 - Release February 20th, 2007
UBB.threads series 7.0 (November 2006) => UBB.threads series 6.0 (June 2002)
UBB.threads 7.0 series
• Version 7.0.2 - Release November 22nd, 2006
• Version 7.0.1 - Release October 30th, 2006
• Version 7.0.0 - Release October 5th, 2006

UBB.threads 6.5 series
• Version 6.5.4 - Release May 5th, 2006
• Version 6.5.3 - Release May 3rd, 2006
• Version 6.5.2 - Release August 16th, 2005
• Version 6.5.1.1 - Release March 11th, 2005
• Version 6.5.1 - Release February 15th, 2005
• Version 6.5.0 - Release September 21st, 2004

UBB.threads 6.4 series
• Version 6.4.4 - Release August 18th, 2004
• Version 6.4.3 - Release July 21st, 2004
• Version 6.4.2 - Release March 23rd, 2004
• Version 6.4.1 - Release January 9th, 2004
• Version 6.4.0 - Release December 5th, 2003

UBB.threads 6.3 series
• Version 6.3.2 - Release August 22nd, 2003
• Version 6.3.1 - Release July 21st, 2003
• Version 6.3.0 - Release June 10th, 2003

UBB.threads 6.2 series
• Version 6.2.3 - Release March 4th, 2003
• Version 6.2.2 - Release February 4th, 2003
• Version 6.2.1 - Release January 21st, 2003
• Version 6.2.0 - Release December 25th, 2002

UBB.threads 6.1 series
• Version 6.1.1 - Release October 3rd, 2002
• Version 6.1.0 - Release September 23rd, 2002

UBB.threads 6.0 series
• Version 6.0.3 - Release August 15th, 2002
• Version 6.0.2 - Release June 30th, 2002
• Version 6.0.1 - Release June 14th, 2002
• Version 6.0.0 - Release June 5th, 2002

Last edited by isaac; 10/22/2018 6:43 AM. Reason: The basic PB&J stuff (capitolizations/spelling/punctuation)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm confused why you just interjected comments about the redirect script into a discussion about importing UBBCGI to UBB.threads...
I was talking about the redirection scripts that are included in the ubbclassic_6_7_import.zip. These redirection scripts are necessary to redirect any existing UBB.classic links to the new UBB.threads installation.
As mentioned previously, UBBCGI is not UBB.Classic; the two may have similar URL structure, but they are not the same. The re-director scripts shouldn't be used in this instance as it is not a UBB.Classic install, so existing URLs won't properly parse to their proper location for this users bookmarked/search engine links.

Removing the magic quotes runtime line also will not "just fix" the redirector scripts, I've attempted to modify it to work in a modern environment (PHP5.6 and PHP7+) for a vanilla UBB.Classic site to no avail; but in this instance it wouldn't matter as the OP is not even running UBB.Classic or UBB.threads.

Also, the redirector scripts were last touched by Ian Spence in the mid 2000s.

The OP is regarding upgrading UBBCGI to the current UBB.threads, and somehow we're now derailed discussing the redirect scripts for a product he isn't even running; please stay on topic.

The product paths are (UBB.threads7 was created to merge the two UBB downloadable products and has the majority of the features between the two products):
UBBCGI (End of Life pre 1998, Perl) -> UBB.Classic (End of Life in 2002, Perl) -> UBB.threads7 (Current, PHP)
WWWThreads (End of life 1998, PHP) -> UBB.threads6 (End of life/rebuild October 5th, 2006, PHP) -> UBB.threads7 (Current, PHP)

Note, I have been in the forest camping with a Scouting troop since the OP, so I haven't fully caught up with everything yet

If OP is indeed running UBB.Classic there is a specific upgrade path that should be followed:
Upgrading UBB.Classic to 6.7.x to ensure the importer can properly import the data
Upgrading UBB.Classic from 6.7.x to UBB.threads v7.2 (so that the Global Moderator permission addition in v7.3 does not assign the users as moderators and the moderators as GMs)
Upgrading UBB.threads 7.2 to UBB.threads Current

P
P Offline
As mentioned previously, UBBCGI is not UBB.Classic; the two may have similar URL structure, but they are not the same. The re-director scripts shouldn't be used in this instance as it is not a UBB.Classic install, so existing URLs won't properly parse to their proper location for this users bookmarked/search engine links.
He is using UBB.classic from 2003. See also Isaacs post here: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...m-a-really-really-old-version#Post261747

Anyway, I just tried UBB.classic on my server setup and there are indeed three issues. The main problem is the use of the deprecated "defined @" method in carp.pm module.

Here the fixes:

1) Open cgi-bin/Modules/UBBCGI/Carp.pm

Replace line 321:
Code
if(defined @{"${prevpack}::ISA"});

with:
Code
if(@{"${prevpack}::ISA"});

Replace line 329:
Code
	if(defined @{$pack . "::ISA"}) {

with:
Code
	if(@{$pack . "::ISA"}) {

Replace line 353:
Code
if(defined @{$pack . "::ISA"});

with:
Code
if(@{$pack . "::ISA"});

2) Open ultimatebb.php

Remove line 55:
Code
set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);

Replace line 90:
Code
$query_string = split('[;&]', trim($qs));

with:
Code
$split = (strpos( $qs, "&") ) ? "&" : ";" ;
$query_string = explode($split, trim($qs));

Replace line 109:
Code
$pathinfo = split('\/', trim($pi));

with:
Code
$pathinfo = explode('/', trim($pi));

3) Open Templates/public_faq.pl

Replace line 18:
Code
my $short = %$vars_graemlins->{'origs'}->{$item};

with:
Code
my $short = %$vars_graemlins{'origs'}->{$item};

Replace line 34:
Code
my $short = %$vars_graemlins->{'graems'}->{$item};

with:
Code
my $short = %$vars_graemlins{'graems'}->{$item};

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I apologize for my confusion, I hadn't fully caught up on this thread after making it back from camping in the forest with my sons Scouting troop last night (largest troop in the district, 80 campers this weekend); I was still working with the OP statement of
Originally Posted by Alento
Our tech guy said that he found in the source code that the forum is v 1.102.2.3 -- copyright 2003 AD.

But in either case, the redirector scripts likely won't work for him, as I've recently tested them on a vanilla UBB.threads 7.6.2 on PHP5.6 and 7.0+ and all requests just end up forwarded to the forum index; and since very little users utilize the scripts, and the vendor is not contracting to have them updated, it was deemed a back burner project until the PHP7 updates and testing are completed.

I would advise upgrading the UBB.Classic install as soon as you can, as there have been major changes in responsive layouts and SEO that will benefit everyone in UBB.threads7.

The OP may experience some missing content errors from search engines without working redirector scripts, but I offer a 3rd party a Sitemap script UBB.threads Sitemap and UBB.threads Member Data Sitemap to aid in search engine discovery.

A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
Hi Folks!

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the response ...

I did make a mistake in a previous post where I asked:

One thing that I am kind of unclear on ... the client was running UBB.classic 6.5.0 and our server was running PHP 5.6, so it is not making sense to me that UBB.threads 6.x would require PHP 4 ... can you elaborate?

I blame that silly question on the hour ... no other excuse, just lack of sleep! Thanks for the answer Isaac.

There is a lot to comb through here and some other issues with our client to deal with before we move forward, but I am amazed with this awesome community and all the extra time many of you took to investigate, test, reply, etc.

I will keep watching in case there is more to add ... thanks all!!!

Al

I thought you said you were on php 7.2 now

As posted ubb is not ready for php7.2 , even with the pending release of ubb 7.7 in fact I am not aware of any forum package that will accept php7.2 at this time.

There are just a very,very few that even accept php7.1 that I know of currently.

However your version of Ubuntu 18.04 will accept downgrading to php7.1 from what I read.
Still not low enough for ubb's current release..

As I suggested, I would work on making your classic version work again for now.
Check your path to perl and disable the accelerator if it is turned on.
Then it will just use perl(cgi scripts)
And or discuss with your host about how to down grade the server to get to php 5.6 for now to upgrade ubb classic to Ubb threads..

We can't help much more that that without a url or access to the site.

And I have never had a lot of success with using the re director script after upgrading

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Alento
Do you know if I will be able to import from UBB.threads 7.5,6 which uses PHP v 4 directly to UBB.threads 7.7.0 which will support PHP 7? Our client will not be allowed to install any version lower than this as the server is running PHP 7.2 at this point.
I'd advise against enforcing *only* PHP7.2; its relatively new and breaks a TON with PHP7 capable scripts. If you want to enforce a "lower" PHP build I'd go at MAX PHP7.1 as it doesn't break "as much" as PHP7.2 (and will, at this point, be what we're striving for with PHP7 capability while we decide on what to do with several of the libraries we bundle with UBB.threads).

P
P Offline
2) Open ultimatebb.php
Another quick fix for ultimatebb.php (UBB Accelerator). At least PHP 7.3 (Release Candidate)/Debian 10 require this additional modification:

Replace:
Code
function figurelocation ($arg) {

with:
Code
function figurelocation ($arg = "") {

I did my previous testing on PHP 7.0/Debian 9, so this change may be even necessary for PHP 7.1 or PHP 7.2.

P
P Offline
However your version of Ubuntu 18.04 will accept downgrading to php7.1 from what I read.
Still not low enough for ubb's current release..
There is a PHP PPA available for Ubuntu 18.04:
https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php/

This PPA is maintained by the original PHP Debian package developer and include all PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 packages

Last edited by Philipp; 10/25/2018 3:46 AM.
Originally Posted by Phillip
There is a PHP PPA available for Ubuntu 18.04:
https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php/

This PPA is maintained by the original PHP Debian package developer and include all PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 packages
There you go I did not find that in my search.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29