Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261741 10/16/2018 9:34 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi there,

I believe we need more emphasis on the paid subscription feature. Particularly when it comes to personalization and extra features. I'm nearly forced to hire someone to modify UBB.threads to add additional reasons to reinforce the cause for paid subscriptions. However, doing that is costly and makes it more difficult to upgrade builds in the future..

Ideas and examples thrown out there by my user feedback and myself:

- Free users can upload an avatar, but dimensions can be restricted to say, 100x100 pixels. Maybe even a watermark. Subscription groups could have increased dimensions.

- Subscribers only shout box.

- Ranks (user post ranking) can be graphical, i.e. military ribbons, stripes, or whatever the admin chooses.

- Ability to like or vote on an individual post for reputation.

- Ability to moderate own threads (lock, edit, ban from own thread). This is the most requested, as some users are there to post news or have a journal. They don't want users replying.

- Ability to personalize their post style colours or at least, the author area style colours.

- Exclusive/additional thread/post icons.

- Ability to upload custom smilies.

I know this will probably not get anywhere here, but thought I'd just throw it out there. Some of my users want to see more.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from aliendisc.net]
M4TT #261742 10/16/2018 11:05 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The subscription systems relies heavily upon permission groups.

Available ENTIRE SITE and PER-FORUM permissions by GROUP are displayed below:
CUSTOM SITE PERMISSION BY GROUP
Can view the user list
Can see extra user info
Max length of signatures
Max posts in a private topic
Can specify a remote avatar
Can see the shoutbox
Min time between searches
Can create global announcements
Can email posts to others
Can vote in polls
Max private topic participants
Can choose a stock avatar
Can use the shoutbox
Can set a custom title
Can view member profiles
Can use IMG tag in signatures
Max private topics
Can create calendar events
Can upload an avatar
Can use the search engine

CUSTOM PER-FORUM PERMISSIONS BY GROUP
Can see forum
Can reply to existing threads
Can download attachments
Max file attachment size
Can create polls in topics
Can post using Markup/UBBCode
Must view Ad Island
Delete any thread
Can create sticky threads
Can read threads
Min time between posts
All new posts are moderated
Max gallery images
Can create polls in replies
Delete post time limit
Can lock threads
Delete any thread reply
Can approve moderated posts
Can create new threads
Posts require CAPTCHA
Max file attachments
Max gallery image size
Can post using HTML
Edit post time limit
Can move threads
Edit any post
In addition, there are CONTROL PANEL permissions available. But those permissions should be reserved for Administrators and Global Moderators

- Free users can upload an avatar, but dimensions can be restricted to say, 100x100 pixels. Maybe even a watermark. Subscription groups could have increased dimensions.
This is a MEMBERSHIP Profiles setting:
Control Panel > Profile Settings

The avatar Image max size settings are adjusted here. This is the container size that their uploaded avatars will be placed in to. Remember, these are user avatars. They are not life-sized art/photographs. They are used to represent the user's image next to their post. A watermark just doesnt make sense to have here, as it wont be readable or would cover their image. The solution, use the watermark *AS* the avatar image. /r/2healthbars

Also see: User Menu > Edit Profile: Signature. This is the fancy name, title, graphic, logo (...etc) of a person appearing below a their public and private posts, and in their user profiles. This is the correct place for the user's "mark." Some people still write "-Sparky" or "Sincerely, Sparky" under every post they make. Those people don't really understand discussion forums or forum signatures.

- Subscribers only shout box.
This is a SITE Permission setting per-user group:
Control Panel / Site:
• Can see the shoutbox
• Can use the shoutbox

- Ranks (user post ranking) can be graphical, i.e. military ribbons, stripes, or whatever the admin chooses.
Control Panel > Groups
Click on the IMAGE or the [none] link.
Upload the badge/image/icon...etc you want the member of that group to be able to display.
Users can be in more than 1 group at a time.

Users can enable or disable which Group Icons they want to display:
User Menu > Edit Profile.
Group Images To Display: Select the desired check boxes and hit "Save Changes" button.

- Ability to like or vote on an individual post for reputation.
This is a MASTER SETTINGS: Features setting:
Control Panel > Features
• Enable Topic Ratings
• Enable Member Ratings

- Ability to moderate own threads (lock, edit, ban from own thread). This is the most requested, as some users are there to post news or have a journal. They don't want users replying.
For obvious reasons, users must be moderators to lock or delete threads. You can also give an entire group permission to delete their own posts within a time limit.

This is is in the FORUM Permission setting per-user group:
Control Panel / Forum:
• Delete post time limit

If you have a user who wants to post something but doesnt want anyone to reply:
Again, this is a FORUM Permission setting.
1) create a forum with the following settings for the groups with access:
• Can create new threads: 1 = Enable (Allow)
• Can reply to existing threads: 0 = Disable

- Ability to personalize their post style colours or at least, the author area style colours.
For obvious reasons, user name style colors can only be set by an admin. This is done to help prevent users from impersonating an admin or moderator by choosing a color which are normally reserved for admins and moderators.

Post style colors are set by the user's themselves if they are in a permission group that allows it.
This is is in the FORUM Permission setting per-user group:
• Can post using Markup/UBBCode

- Exclusive/additional thread/post icons.
I dont believe there is any any way to disable users from hotlinking to whatever smilies/images they want to use in their posts, unless you just disable their access to Markup/BBCode. The next item is also related to this request ---

- Ability to upload custom smilies.
If you wanted to add/remove images that all users who can post/reply have access to, that is at:
Control Panel > Images & Icons
From this page, you can add more:
• Post Icons
• Graemlins
• Forum Images
• News Images
• Mood Icons

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
For most users group permissions seem to be the hardest to grasp.
All permissions forum,site.cp are assigned to a group not a member.
Then a member is allowed to join a group.per registration,posts count or subscriptions via a automatic method or by manual intervention.
The subscriptions will not work on default groups they need to be custom groups you have added.so they appear in the subscriptions dialog. Such as admin.Global Moderators,Moderators,Users,Guests are the default groups.

Some of your desired permissions do not exist as yet. But a lot of them can be utilized in subscriptions.
Now you may need to demote some permissions on the default groups to accomplish what you desire, Then add them back to the paid subscription groups.

You may need paper and pencil in hand to jot down what you want per group just to keep the permissions to work as desired.per group.

But I think most all of the items except for a few that don't exist can be done without any modifications and will be compatible with a upgrade.

There is a extensive listing of all the permissions at the UBB WIKI that you may want to review.
Especially if you get into a complicated permission by group setting that requires a -1 setting.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm hoping to eventually find a way to automatically offer a unique subscription badge for users that have been registered for say, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc... This could be incentive to keep them on board and active over time. For now, I'll have to manually add a user when they reached a certain milestone. In the future, this will be more difficult and tedious.

Not too long ago, I felt a user who donated pixel art for our post icons and emoticons should have something to show my gratitude. So I made a custom subscription group with a "pixel artist" badge. They have since enabled the graphic and it appears next to their username, which is pretty nifty. The only problem is there's no way to add alt-text to describe what it means.

M4TT #262407 02/25/2019 10:41 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
M4TT, I've added to UBB.threads 7.7.2 some much needed titling for the Group Images.

The Group name will be used for the hover-over title text here
Control Panel > Groups > Name/Image
Attachments
20190225_18-36-09-[7.7.2] SNAPSHOTS - UBB.Developers.png 20190225_18-37-24-Profile for isaac - UBB.Developers.png 20190225_18-38-15-Edit Profile For isaac - UBB.Developers.png

M4TT #262408 02/25/2019 10:46 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
M4TT, attached are some additional Group Images for you. They're being posted here for you and anyone else who may want them.

Group Images - Current:
[Linked Image] adm.gif
[Linked Image] mod.gif

Group Images - New:
[Linked Image] editor.gif
[Linked Image] newseditor.gif
[Linked Image] subscriber.gif
[Linked Image] donator.gif
[Linked Image] donator-red.gif

Last edited by isaac; 02/25/2019 10:59 PM. Reason: rewrote the post. it happens.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks isaac! I'll have to upgrade soon! Fantastic work btw, love the new updates.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29