Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#262430 03/01/2019 10:39 AM
J
J Offline
My web host is sending me emails recommending I upgrade mySQL from 5.5 to at least 5.7.

I see the "Pre-Installation Checklist" says "5.5+" so it seems like a good thing to do.

I need to check whether Joomla would run with mySQL 5.7.

I'm uncomfortable doing this myself. If the answer is yes I'l ask the webhost if they'll do it. If they don't do this type of upgrade I'll need to hire someone.

If there anything special that needs to be done prior to upgrading mySQL? Other than a full backup?

Thanks!

Jake #262432 03/01/2019 11:11 AM
P
P Offline
Originally Posted by Jake
Yes, Joomla will also work with newer versions of MySQL. However, I would upgrade to MariaDB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB) instead.

If there anything special that needs to be done prior to upgrading mySQL? Other than a full backup?
No, just create a full backup of your databases

Jake #262435 03/01/2019 3:03 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My web host is sending me emails recommending I upgrade mySQL from 5.5 to at least 5.7.

I see the "Pre-Installation Checklist" says "5.5+" so it seems like a good thing to do.
Yes, UBB.threads works just fine with MySQL 5.5 and newer database. thumbsup
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php

UBB.threads Supported MySQL Databases
MySQL Recomended 5.6 +
MySQL Minimum 5.5

Joomla! 1.6, 1.7, & 2.5 system requirements are over here:
https://downloads.joomla.org/us/technical-requirements-us

Joomla! 1.6, 1.7, & 2.5 Supported MySQL Databases
MySQL Recomended 5.5.3 +
MySQL Minimum 5.1

Originally Posted by Philipp
However, I would upgrade to MariaDB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB) instead.

If you are on a managed server (not VPS), Its basically up to your webhost as to which database back-end you will be running.

According to the following linked summary comparison, there are no major benefits you'd gain from demanding to switch backends vs just upgrading to the current version of your current database engine.

Which Database Is Right For Your Business?
SOURCE: https://blog.panoply.io/a-comparative-vmariadb-vs-mysql

MySQL: MySQL is a proven database that has a strong following around the globe. The Oracle Corporation continues to maintain, enhance, and support the product.

MariaDB: The MariaDB provides a drop-in replacement for organizations running MySQL. It is managed by the MariaDB Foundation, allowing people to contribute to the open source product and documentation.

Both products may continue to diverge in the future. For many organizations, the fundamental question comes down to: Which one do you feel more comfortable with?

Would you prefer a larger corporation like Oracle Corp that manages MySQL, or would you feel more comfortable with an open solution like MariaDB?

Last edited by isaac; 03/01/2019 3:07 PM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Jake #262437 03/01/2019 4:30 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Upgrading system software (PHP, Apache, MySQL, etc) is well outside of the scope of user to user support on these forums, and really should be done by your data center or someone extremely capable of handling system upgrade tasks; this is especially true in the case of migrating from MySQL to MariaDB.

It is extremely easy for one who is not familiar with upgrading system utilities via command line (or even via EasyApache for WHM) to make mistakes, and even neglect to tune their newly installed services, and that is not a level of troubleshooting that we're prepared to offer.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29