Print Thread
Hop To
#262599 04/24/2019 6:18 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi guys,
I've been getting reports of this message appearing.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65011768 bytes) in /var/.../public_html/forums/scripts/postlist.inc.php on line 712

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 534773832 bytes) in /var/.../public_html/forums/scripts/postlist.inc.php on line 712

My memory_limit is set at 1024M

Clearly, 1024M = 1073741824 bytes but the confusion for me is where did the 134217728 bytes message come from?

Is it simply a case of neeeding more memory? Or are there other factors involved?

Thanks.

driv #262609 04/24/2019 1:37 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Do you have any modifications to the stock coding installed? I'm trying to figure out why your system is crying about needing access to an additional 534M of memory, while having access to a gig as here at UBBCentral its working on 256M and on my production server its working on 128M with similar forum statistics.

I've got no clue where the 134217728 comes from, its simply trying to use what memory it has access to, so at some point the system is reading that value.

If you have modifications I'd advise removing them to see if the system will play nice, if you don't have modifications I'd advise contacting your host as I have no clue why your system is requesting such a huge resource load.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
driv #262615 04/25/2019 4:39 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi Giz,
I've made no mods at all.
I run Joomla alongside UBB but it appears to run smoothly and the only Joomla extenstions I use are well known to the Joomla community (and all professional versions).

I asked my host what other processes/ resources are being used but their initial response has been to ask me to try it again as they have increased the amount of ram.
(It hasn't made any difference.)

I've informed them of this fact and also quoted your comments.

driv #262616 04/25/2019 6:28 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
3:27a Pacific, I'm unable to even get your forums to load at this point... Is everything ok with your server?

Update: Evidently it took 4 minutes to load a 500 error.

Your main page loads, but takes quite a bit of time to load... Are you on a shared host by chance? It'd explain random load issues and your hosts ability to keep throwing memory at problems...

At some point, Shared Hosts (especially cheaper providers such as GoDaddy) will simply fail to allow your site to function optimally; generally overselling system resources and praying that things still function over time.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
driv #262617 04/25/2019 6:44 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Everything seems fine to me.
Yes, I am on a shared host.
I'm planning to move as they've been purchased by you know who - and things have taken a decidedly bad turn of late.

Go to sleep! wink

driv #262618 04/25/2019 6:48 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by driv
I'm planning to move as they've been purchased by you know who - and things have taken a decidedly bad turn of late.
They have a nasty habit of doing that...

Go to sleep! wink
I tried, I really did; insomnia is a curse that keeps on giving... The ceiling fan loses its luster after 4 hours of staring at it in the dark...

Gizmo #262619 04/25/2019 7:19 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Go to sleep! wink
I tried, I really did; insomnia is a curse that keeps on giving... The ceiling fan loses its luster after 4 hours of staring at it in the dark...
I know the feeling, I had it for years.
The only thing that worked for me was excercise. Even now, if I miss more than a couple of days at the gym I don't sleep well.

driv #262626 04/26/2019 2:12 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I installed a copy of my forum on Xampp and got exactly the same problem.

So, I went for a dig around postlist.inc.php on line 712 and noticed it's to do with viewing in flat mode.

I changed Default Topic Display Mode from Flat to Threaded and poof - the problem goes away.

My users hate threaded mode...

driv #262627 04/26/2019 2:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm not having this problem with xampp at all. have tested with phone 5.4, 5.6, 7.0 - 7.3. it's actually one of the platforms I use for testing on windows servers with. also not able to replicate that issue here, ubbdev, or any of my sites.

are you using stock photo and MySQL settings or have you tuned them in any way?

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
driv #262628 04/26/2019 3:00 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
HI Isaac,
I am using shared hosting, so I've no idea what they've done. I can only tell you that it is a Linux variant.

It is curious though that when I installed it on Xampp just a couple of hours ago, I had the exact same issue on a Windows PC.

Whilst playing around with UBB adminCP settings, I have found that I can use Flat mode in my profile as long as I set the default mode to Threaded.

(If you are experimenting, use a different browser after changing from flat to threaded and vice-versa as browser caching confuses the issue.)

Last edited by driv; 04/26/2019 3:02 PM. Reason: Added the Windows bit.
driv #262629 04/26/2019 3:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't use any browser caching on any of the 7 browsers I test with.

desktop: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE11.
mobile gets the cache purged each time the browser is closed for Chrome and Firefox. iOS Safari is the fun one :/

Testing as I write is done locally, so no network caches there.
Testing on a live forum is done as each change gets merged and documented, and then placed on to live forums such as ubbcentral, ubbdev, wip, my personal forums and a few client forums who choose to run managed snapshot versions.

Your hosting is done through GoDaddy, am I correct?
You also.mentioned running locally with Xampp. Are you using fresh databases or a database from an import?
What are the results of the ubbtest script when you ran it?
Have you looked at your php.ini report to see if it's reporting the same values your told it to use in the php.ini config file?

I'm curious here. Especially since you have a medium sized forum, and it was exhibiting the same results as a forum placed on shared hosting with very throttled back resources. Such as a medium sized forum on a $2.99/mo shared hosting plan would do.

driv #262630 04/26/2019 4:03 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Don't shoot the messenger...

ok, so yes it's GoDaddy. But it wasn't previously.
The company I started with were excellent and they got bought out.

What are the results of the ubbtest script when you ran it?
I haven't run it.

Have you looked at your php.ini report to see if it's reporting the same values your told it to use in the php.ini config file?
No.

Such as a medium sized forum on a $2.99/mo shared hosting plan would do.
Thanks for the insult.

driv #262631 04/26/2019 4:05 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When did this behavior begin? I see you're running v7.6.2, and I'm sure you'd have noticed this issue from when you installed it (it was released on September 18th, 2018). Has this only started with the change of webhosts? Do they have a complete backup of your webspace prior to the migration to GoDaddy's servers?

I'm sure Isaac meant no disrespect, but we've had numerous issues with GoDaddy over the years and I'm not really surprised at all that things aren't working well there; their plans start at $2.99, so he's just referencing the base pricing.

Just for reference, there are much larger sites running UBB.threads without problems, such as 24hourcampfire.com (7.6.0), and KoPTalk (7.5.9); so I'm pretty sure this is either a server issue or an issue with the data that was migrated after your host was bought out.

The backup from prior to the migration might be whats needed if the database is corrupted. None of the queries have been changed in these scripts for at least 10 years, if they're not working now I'd suspect database corruption might be the culprit.

driv #262632 04/26/2019 4:19 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Such as a medium sized forum on a $2.99/mo shared hosting plan would do.
Thanks for the insult.

That wasn't an insult.

It's a well documented fact that a medium sized forum on a $2.99/mo plan would do horribly.

If this is what's happening to your site, then that may be the problem. But it's not what I wrote. I wrote that something recently changed with the hosting of your forum, and it now performs poorly. Poorly as you've recently said. That's why you are here asking for help. My comment wasn't an insult. it was an observation of what I have seen and read multiple times before, when a medium sized forum is placed on an underpowered hosting package. A hosting package that GoDaddy is know for. A web host that you are now hosting with.

driv #262633 04/26/2019 5:08 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
If this is what's happening to your site, then that may be the problem.
And yet it still occurs with Xampp on Windows 10.

A web host that you are now hosting with.
As of yesterday I signed up with an independent UK based host.

driv #262634 04/26/2019 6:41 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If this is what's happening to your site, then that may be the problem.
And yet it still occurs with Xampp on Windows 10.

A web host that you are now hosting with.
As of yesterday I signed up with an independent UK based host.

from above...
When did this behavior begin? I see you're running v7.6.2, and I'm sure you'd have noticed this issue from when you installed it (it was released on September 18th, 2018). Has this only started with the change of webhosts? Do they have a complete backup of your webspace prior to the migration to GoDaddy's servers?

[...]

The backup from prior to the migration might be whats needed if the database is corrupted. None of the queries have been changed in these scripts for at least 10 years, if they're not working now I'd suspect database corruption might be the culprit.

isaac #262635 04/26/2019 7:26 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
The upgrade and owner change happened around the same time and immediately following that period I went away for a few months and had virtually nothing to do with the site.
Regarding the backup. I have no idea and really want no more to do with them. Yesterday they renamed the UBB cache folder and changed php.ini files then left the site in a mess.
Just a few days to set up the new site and I'll be free of them.

In my case, the flat mode works but only when threaded mode is default.
To me, this seems that it is the logic rather than the data that is corrupted.

However for you, this is not the case.

?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29