Print Thread
Hop To
#263034 08/10/2019 9:18 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Hello.

Just purchased UBB.threads and am looking to replace an old Phorum install (which you can see at https://www.hairofthedawg.rocks/forum/list.php?2). One of the things that I liked about UBB.threads was that it said it offered a threaded mode, which is what my current forum uses.

When open the Dashboard and go to Control Panel/General/Topic & Post Page Settings and choose Threaded Mode Only in Available Display Modes and Threaded in Default Topic Display Mode the main forum page will not show in threaded mode. No matter what I do it always shows in Flat Mode. Is this feature broken by any chance or am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks for any help you can offer.

ToddUGA #263035 08/10/2019 9:30 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Your personal account display settings will override any forum defaults for your account; please ensure that you've set "Thread Display Mode" to Threaded in your User Preference (click your username to the top right, go to preferences).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
ToddUGA #263036 08/10/2019 9:31 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The threaded is displayed under the Quick Reply box.

As a side note, it is recommended to disable the Quick Reply box when you have "Threaded Mode Only"
Attachments
ScreenShot 08-10-19 at 06.28.57 PM.png

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
ToddUGA #263037 08/10/2019 9:36 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
I also turned off Quick Reply and it's still displaying flat.

Last edited by ToddUGA; 08/10/2019 9:48 PM.
isaac #263038 08/10/2019 9:38 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Originally Posted by isaac
The threaded is displayed under the Quick Reply box.

As a side note, it is recommended to disable the Quick Reply box when you have "Threaded Mode Only"

So is it not possible to display in threaded mode on the main forum index?

Gizmo #263039 08/10/2019 9:38 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Your personal account display settings will override any forum defaults for your account; please ensure that you've set "Thread Display Mode" to Threaded in your User Preference (click your username to the top right, go to preferences).

Done that still displaying flat.

ToddUGA #263040 08/10/2019 10:15 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I guess what you are asking is for all posts and all replies to be displayed in a tree-list format on the TOPIC page.

[Linked Image]

UBB.threads forum software is the next logical progression to that, because some TOPICS can have several hundred replies. Displaying several hundred replies to the same topic on a page will flood every other topic of discussion in that category off from the display. A discussion of PB&J could easily reach 100 replies, with each commenter discussing the bread, the contents, the cutting, the serving, what they like to drink with it, when...etc.

So in this case, the TOPIC LIST only displays the main topic, with all of the sub topic conversation within that, in a THREADED TREE

Looking at the forum you linked to, I see that your forum requires each TOPIC REPLY to have a subject, and it does not automatically populate the current subject of that TOPIC THREAD in to the reply. So A user is forced to enter something. UBB.threads will automatically populate the subject input for the user, but they can change it if they want to.

Example here:

[Linked Image]
This is all one single topic, with the user entering in their own subject for the reply, rather than using the main subject.

UBB.threads does do what you are asking, except it rolls up all of the replies in to a single MAIN TOPIC. All of these replies to that MAIN TOPIC can be read by clicking through.

NOTE:
The screenshot above is a cleaned up version of the threaded mode that is currently in UBB.threads v7. I've spent a good portion of this past week giving a slight face-lift to some of lesser-used, but very powerful features of UBB.threads. You can expect these visual overhauls in 7.7.4. Though, the features and their descriptions remain the mostly same as what is currently in 7.7.3.

ToddUGA #263041 08/10/2019 10:22 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
I see what you're saying but my users prefer a tree view on the topic page and in the past when I've changed this to a topic or flat view it's resulted in a loss of members.

So is there just no way to have a threaded mode on the topic page? If not then it looks as if UBB.threads may not be the replacement I am looking for. It's too bad as well since I've liked what I've seen so far as I've experimented with my test install.

ToddUGA #263042 08/10/2019 10:25 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It would not be feasible to display several hundred replies on a single page, especially since these replies would generally be about the same discussion (topic) with a tree within the thread.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #263043 08/10/2019 10:32 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
If you look at my forum I listed it works just fine. The conversation flows so quickly there that one topic never stays on the front page long at all. My forum almost operates more like a chat room than a forum. Folks usually put most of their post in the topic subject and folks that reply do the same. It's been operating that way since the 90s.

I currently use Phorum but since development seems to have stopped I have been looking for a replacement for a while. When I read your features list and saw threaded views I thought I'd give it a shot. Looks like I need to keep looking though. Just wish I hadn't dropped over $100 for something I won't be able to use.

ToddUGA #263044 08/10/2019 10:41 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Regarding UBB.threads and why it was designed the way that it is designed --

This is an example of why its not pushed to the user as a default display mode for the topics page:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/posts/175970/

When there are hundreds of replies to a single topic, all of the other topics are flooded out of view. This would make for a very unpleasant user experience on active forums. It may be fine for very low traffic forums, but it doesnt work out well for active ones.

In that example post I linked you to, there are over 3,000 replies. Imagine being a user and having to deal with that every time you logged in to read the forum. Now imagine trying to scroll through that to find the discussions you really wanted to read. That brings large CPU and MEMORY requirements to display it, not to mention the required bandwidth from the end user every time they switched from on topic to the next, having no care about that single topic with 3,000+ replies.
Attachments
ScreenShot 08-10-19 at 07.26.11 PM.png

ToddUGA #263045 08/10/2019 10:50 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Once again I understand but still that's just not how my forum operates. None of my users ever post that many replies to a topic. Once a topic falls off the main page (I keep the total topics per page at around 25-30 topics) rarely is there a reply. And I have it set up so that a reply doesn't bring a topic back to the front page. And I never have issues with CPU and memory requirements.

I know the world has moved on past the type of forum I run. Everything seems to be topic or flat view now. But in some cases threaded view still works well.

Thanks again for the help and I guess I'll keep looking for that perfect replacement for Phorum.

ToddUGA #263046 08/11/2019 2:37 PM
I guess to each their own.
Myself I hate threaded mode.
So much so that I don't visit ubbdev.com anymore because it has changed to threaded and a user has no way to change it to flat.
It just reminds me of a old bbs back in the 70's.
Harder to navigate. when there are a lot of posts. to keep track of which reply is next or before the original topic.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #263047 08/11/2019 2:43 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
I don't visit ubbdev anymore because it has changed to threaded and a user has no way to change it to flat.

What are you even talking about, Ruben?

Its optional, and it has always been optional.

FLAT MODE is the default. So if your user profile is set to THREADED, you've configured it that way.

You can update in your PREFERENCES page. All guests and new user accounts start in FLAT MODE as the default on UBBDev.

[Linked Image]

ToddUGA #263048 08/11/2019 2:56 PM
Something was screwy.
I was using the top right menu and Thread display mode was not displayed. but now I tried in the side island selecting preferences..
I selected it and now the option displays in both selection areas
Hurray.
I guess the title holds true.
breaking your forums since 1999.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #263049 08/11/2019 4:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't visit ubbdev anymore
While being a beta tester, you should be involved with the development, and report features which may not be working as expected within pre-release/beta software.

[Linked Image]

I guess the title holds true.
breaking your forums since 1999.
UBBDev is the place where new UBB.threads code is written, made available, and then tested on a larger scale for any major issues just before making its way in to release software. The tag line of "breaking your forums" is exactly that. Brand new beta code that is still in DEVelopment prior to being incorporated in to the release code and made generally available in UBBCentral's Member Area.

UBBDev's version numbers in the footer will most always be ahead of public release version.

You are welcome to install any of the massive amount of contributed code found on UBBDev. It may break your forum or it may not. If you do not feel comfortable with that, you should not use BETA software.

The following is an excerpt from the header of the main index.php file found in UBB.threads for nearly 20 years:
// You may make modifications, but only for your own use
// and within the confines of the UBB.threads License
// Agreement ( https://www.ubbcentral.com/terms.php )
//
// Note: If you modify ANY code within your UBB.threads,
// we at UBB Systems cannot offer you support.
// Thus, modify at your own peril smile

ToddUGA #263071 08/15/2019 3:54 PM
Although I am listed as a beta tester.
Since after Rick leaving, I have never been invited to any testing platform what so ever.
Call me a mushroom.
Kept in the dark and fed SH** all day

Blue Man Group
Ruben #263073 08/15/2019 4:01 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Although I am listed as a beta tester.
Since after Rick leaving, I have never been invited to any testing platform what so ever.
Call me a mushroom.
Kept in the dark and fed SH** all day

You are officially invited to visit https://www.ubbdev.com in your browser.

You've had access to the "Official UBB.threads Development" section for a decade. You've even posted in there a few times.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29