Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Something that has bugged me for some time.
If I view private messages.
There is a new message button.
I select it and then I have a add user button.
It does not do a verify look up.. It just adds the literal name I type.
For example at this site if I type peter and select add, it adds peter.
But in member search there are 35 results for peter with variations.
So for this method to work I need to know prior to creating the message exactly what the user display name is.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The forum software requires a unique user display name when registering or requesting a user display name change.

on ubbcentral.com there is only user with the display name of "peter" but there is a "peterhd" and "peter2x3" and "peter poll"

when you are asked to type a display name of the member you want to send a private message to, and you type "peter" in the display name box, "peter" is the user which is verified that exists, and is added.

this works just like your email program. you are expected to know which member display name you want to mail to, as you are typing their display name.

there is also a drop-down selector where you can choose a member from your "friend list." this is the list of users you've added and crested yourself. it works just like an address book, but keeps track of your forum "friends" even after they change their display name.

could the feature be made in to an Ajax style lookup where a list of the top 15 "peter" results are presented as you type each letter? sure, but then you'd still have to guess at which of the (on ubbcentral.com) OVER 100 display names within that list with some variation of "peter" for the display name.

the best solutions are to either
a) know the exact display name you want to send your private message to
or
b) select to send the private message to the member from their member profile page using the user list search tool.
or
c) have the user which you commonly send private messages to on your friend list
or
d) select to send a private message to the member by choosing "send private message" from the name drop down menu of the author content section on one of their posts.

ubb.threads forum software is setup to require all members to have a unique display name. if you have over 200 variations of a user display name, then that's what you have. UBBCentral has this, probably because it is dealing with a list of users dating near 20 years, and a portion of those were crested as test accounts or spammers or whatever.

"peter" is a very common name, but there is only one unique "peter" on UBBCentral. if you choose that as the one you are are sending to when asked which user to send to, that the one you will be sending to. the display name box is not a lookup, it is a case-insensitive matching field entry box.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Thanks Isaac, for the in depth explanation on how it works currently.
I already knew most of that..

Is this not the Feedback & Suggestions forum?

What I was not aware of is it is case-insensitive

But thank you anyway

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sorry Ruben, my first reply was typed from a mobile device, and I neglected to see which forum this was in.

further from my copy/paste buffer
1) click user list, located at the top of every page
2) type display name to search for
3) select the one you want from the list
4) click on "private message"

in addition, there is Aax code on UBBDev regarding this for UBBT 7.2.1 (2007), but it is an absolute mess. The archive includes multiple javascript files with unrelated code, and an exe file.

https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/315034/7-2-1-ajax-search-member.html

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
No Problemo Baby..

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29