Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm thinking of an idea to create a form where forum members could enter information about the vehicles that they own. Another page would allow them to search a database for members located within x miles of them or search for the year, make, and/or model of vehicle they own and view their location relative to nearby members on a map (integrating with a mapping database.)

I'm wondering if I can query the forum db to log them into the form before they can enter information? IOW, they would not necessarily have to be logged into the forum, but if they were logged in to the forum, I could verify that before they could successfully enter data into the fields of the form.

This would require them to enter their credentials in the form page, then pass that information to the forum db, and then somehow get an answer back that the login was successful or that it failed or that they were already logged in.

Is this possible? Does UBB have any APIs for doing this?

I know how to query the db to get their email address and display name given their member number, but I'm trying to avoid having to create a separate login just for this app. I would not want anyone who is not a forum member be able to enter information or query the db.

If you prefer to respond to this off list, that's fine. Just send me an email.

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
1 member likes this: isaac
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You would have to have a custom set of code developed to do this for you, but you can tear apart the portal template and script files to get a simple grasp of how PHP/HTML code can be formatted and how MySQL data can be pulled for that system.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've been doing this with my car forum for nearly 20 years.

A custom profile page plus the member search handles the locations and additional fields. posts and pm author information shows additional details. member spotlight is customized. user editor in the CP can handle the additional fields. plenty of minor updates all around.

it takes time and lots of knowledge on what you want and dont want.

It's a great small project to learn how to write code if you are just starting and have the desire to progress.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm 74, so I'm not trying to become a programmer. But, this is a project I've thought about for some time. Right now I'm gauging interest from the members. If there's enough interest, then I'll have to start hitting the books to learn how to code securely and produce the output I want. Either that or hire someone else to write the code.

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29