Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What is the correct setting to use when backing up ALL of the mySQL data???? Is there a faq somewhere that tells you what setting to check or uncheck??? I am having a hell of a time backing up. When I try to restore, I get errors!!!!

I just installed ubbthreads 6.0.1 and it is no longer says "new post" anymore. Why did this function stop working??? There is supposed to be a little light bulb that comes on when there are new messages in a forum and it doesn't like up OR say "new". Whats the deal!?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Here are instructions on how to backup/transfer and reinstall your database.

In 6.0.1 there is an option in your config file to offer "No New Post Tracking" (no light bulbs or post count), "Partial New Post Tracking" (light bulbs but no post count), or "Full New Post Tracking" (light bulbs and post count).

However there is a bug, that each time you edit your config file, it will default to "Partial Tracking" and you'll have light bulbs but no "new post count". Either remember to make sure it's on "full" each time you edit your config file, or there is a fairly simple fix that Rick Posted at Threadsdev.com.

<pre> Here's the fix. Edit admin/editconfig.php. Line 514 currently looks like this:
<option value=2 $newcounterfull>Do full new post tracking (full).
Change that, to this:
<option value=2 $newcounterall>Do full new post tracking (full).

</pre>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
After I changed that line, my "sessions" no longer work. If someone clicks Log In up top it now says username/password not found, and then you can't login period, you have to close your browser. Then when you do log back in, it remembers you until you click main index, then if you try to login again, you get the same error (username/password not found. The little light bulbs still wont light up when i post new messages, and it NEVER says New Post. I dont know what the heck is wrong with this...

That link you referred me to was good, but it still doesn't tell you what options to click in myphpadmin. I don't know which of the tabs I have to have ticked besides "save" to do the backup

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
seems I HAVE to use cookies, not sessions and I have to allow cookies in "/" all directory paths...

what a pain in the arse.

now if I could only figure out what settings to use in phpmyadmin to backup and actually be able to restore my databases, i will be super duper happy...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Those instructions are done in shell mode. Simply type those commands (mysqldump) to dump the whole database.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
When you say shell mode, do you mean using telnet access? I dont have telnet access. All I can do is use phpmyadmin 2.1.0. I dont see a shell mode there. Is it not possible to correctly backup and restore the database with phpmyadmin 2.1.0???

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hmmmmmm.... Don't know.

I've asked that question before... when I used to have PHPMyAdmin and I was told to "copy and paste" the data out... but never knew how I'd get it back in.

Anytime I asked... everyone would tell me I needed shell access (telnet access or SSH).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I wonder who would be able to answer this question. The only choice I have to restore the tables is to use phpmyadmin. Someone out there has to know how you do it... I have tried a couple times with the "drop table" option selected, but everytime I try to load the .sql file up, it gives me errors. I don't know if I have to drop the database first or what. I suppose I will just keep backing things up and hope one day someone can tell me how to restore it if it does crash.... CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION???????????????

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You should be able to ask your host to extract this for you if you cannot.

Regards,

Brett Harris
Infopop Corporation

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I agree with Brett...

You can ask your host to add a "crontab" to run the following command every night:

/usr/bin/mysqlhotcopy --user=YOURDBNAME --password=YOURDBPASSWORD --allowold YOURDBNAME /the/path/to/your/home/DBBACK

*NOTE
He will change the YOURDBNAME, YOURDBPASSWORD and the path info to your home directory and create a DBBACK folder to place the output.

This way, every night at ??time your DB will be backed up to YOUR home, so that he CAN'T complain about your disk usage, as it is in YOUR home space.

IF you ever have a problem, you have a FULL copy of each table, so you can restore just what is corrupted.

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Bill

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks dude!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 802 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29