Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I was looking through my server's error log and saw tons of style css file not found errors. Upon investigation, either the software, or the server is appending 10 numeric digits to the css file name when a style is edited.

So for example, the default style included has a css file with the title ubbthreads_1.css. I just edited that untouched style via the control panel style editor (not actually making any change to it) and the name changed to ubbthreads_1158437657.css. Is my server doing this or the V7 software? Every time the Update/Add Style button is clicked, the 10 digit number changes. As a result, there are tons of unfound css files in the error log with older ten digit numbers. It looks like my test user's pofiles are still looking for the older file names. Does anyone else see this happening on their server? I need to know if it is something specific to my server setup or software related. I've heard several reports from my test users of the software freezing on them. This may be the culprit.

The other common error in my error log is the file name blank.gif not found in a couple directories. Below are the directories that show up in the error log:
/images/forumimages/default/blank.gif
/styles/general/default/blank.gif

Last edited by Rick; 09/21/2006 1:48 PM.

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's by design that the 10 digit number changes, so there won't be any css caching issues since anytime the stylesheet is changed the filename actually changes.

Basically, a user has a "style" preference. This is loaded at run time when a page is generated and tells the scripts what images and stylesheet to use. The only place the stylesheet name is ever loaded from is that "style" file. You'll see them in your styles directory, entitled something like 1.php, 2.php, etc.

The errors are a bit strange. The only thing I can think is that perhaps someone is loading a page at the same time that you're updating the style which might result in that.

Will need to look at the blank.gif problems.

It's happening far too often for it to be coincident with my editing of the style. Most happen when I'm not around. I'll specifically hold off any style functions for a day to see if it persists. I'll report back. Thanks.

If you need admin access to my site, let me know.

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

I just checked the server log again to note the last such error. The last time it happened, there were 123 identical no-such-file errors in a row from the same user IP that occurred over 32 minutes. So I don't believe the coincident with style editing theory works.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Has anyone reported that they are getting a page with no css properties? The only thing I can think of is somehow some users are completely caching the entire page and not requesting a new one when visiting. Why this would happen...I have no clue. Does the IP you're seeing it look like maybe a bot of some type? If a user gets that it seems like you'd have a report because basically there would be no table borders, no colors, no css at all.

The IP is of a valid user. They haven't reported any strange behavior like that. Only the occiasional "freeze" experienced by all members. I'll ask the user how they have their browser setup.

Just an update here Rick... I have not experienced any other similar errors (or any errors for that matter) in the server error log for the past few days. I refrained from modifying any styles during that time.

I think you can close this one as "NOTABUG". I'll resurect it if it becomes an issue in the future.

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29