Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#44420 03/04/2005 6:28 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
My ISP's mail server has recently been bouncing all e-mail (e.g., subscriptions, reply notifications, etc.) sent from my Forum due to a change in their server protocol. I contacted Tech Support and then replied with the following solution:

The issue that you are having is that the forum software that you are using is not providing a proper SMTP From address when sending the emails. The mail routing systems that we send the mail through sees a user of []user@lime.propagation.net[/] as a spam message and will bounce it every time. You will need to contact the developers of the script so that they can fix it so that it has a proper SMTP From address when sending the emails to the users. If you have any support related issues, please contact us.

Can someone give me details instructions on how to implement this change, please? I'm using UBBThreads 6.4.1

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hrm.... there are no real mail settings in threads - the smtp server info would be defined in the php.ini file of your servers PHP setup. The from address anything from threads uses is the email address in your config file. As long as you've got an address there, that's really it.

There is the fifth email parameter, which some servers need. You could try turning that on in the config file. Beyond that, PHP settings would most likely be on their end.

Joshua Pettit
Web Developer
www.ThreadsDev.net | www.JoshuaPettit.com
#44422 03/04/2005 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Hrm.... there are no real mail settings in threads - the smtp server info would be defined in the php.ini file of your servers PHP setup. The from address anything from threads uses is the email address in your config file. As long as you've got an address there, that's really it.[/]
The only place where I can see an e-mail address can be entered, which I have filled in, is under the heading, "Site and Display settings" and for the item, "Contact email address". If this is not the place you are referring to, could you point me to the correct place.

I'll forward your reply to my ISP Tech Support and see what they have to say. I have the gut feeling that they will bounce it back to me saying it's on my end. hahaha

I've enabled that "-femail@domain.com parameter to send email" to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
#44423 03/05/2005 12:35 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, that's the only email address in the config file, so if that's valid, you should be good.

one thing you can do to view your PHP settings, create a script that looks like this:

<?
phpinfo();
?>

and upload it to your server, then view it in your browser. You'll see all the PHP mail settings in there.

Joshua Pettit
Web Developer
www.ThreadsDev.net | www.JoshuaPettit.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 446 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29