Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#44665 04/07/2005 5:15 PM
M
M Offline
Am I the only one that doesn't know what a Content Island is? The UBB.T manual (page 23) introduces the subject like everyone knows all about Conent Islands. There is no explanation of what a CI is, or why I might want to implement this feature.

A search of the UBB.T forums doesn't produce anything useful, and a Google search finds other people's Infopop CI's.

So, would someone kindly point me to a place where I can learn more about this feature?

Thanks!

#44666 04/08/2005 3:01 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Content Island is a way to pull out informations from UUBt and use them on a homepage. You can pull postings, topics (posting headlines), recent visitors and latest registered and approved users.

Ubbt will allow you to use several formats to do this: HTML as a Javascript file, HTML as a SSI or PHP include or RSS Newsfeed.

For siteintegration you can use includes but you have to notice something: several provider block the php include for safety of the server. To use SSI (Server side include) you need to have a .shtml webpage. The best way seems to be the java include but this can cause trouble with some browsers on the user frontend if they block java.

The use of RSS feeds inside threads is real easy. Opera and Firefox can use RSS by itself. To provide content as a feed you can simple put in a line in your UBB headerinclude like this example:
Code
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="last 10 News" href="/ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml" />
2_rss20.xml is CI #2 and this is setup in the control panel for display the latest 10 postings of my news board. It's easy, try it.

Hope this helps a little bit.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 549 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29