Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I have been getting complaints that some users (in particular one of the administrators) gets a blank page when viewing a particular forum. All of the included header file and everything up to and including the box at the top that includes "Admin . Main Index . ... " etc. shows up but nothing
else (posts, included footer file, etc.) shows up.

I've never observed this myself except when I become the administrator in question and then it always happens. I thought it might be because we use different skins, but I switched my own skin to the one he was using and it worked fine for me.

Here's a link to the forum in question:

The Forum

Any thoughts as to how to debug this problem?

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Weinstock; 07/24/2005 1:24 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I answered my own question I guess...it was a memory problem within PHP. The admin in question had expanded display set as a default and the standard 8M memory limit was being exceeded. However, this raises another question: it seems to me that the expanded display default option causes a higher load on the system than is reasonable. Should I consider diabling this option as a way of helping to solve the forum performance problems?

Also, I changed the default for PHP to 16M. Is there a downside to doing this? The server in question has 8gb of RAM.

Chuck

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
You should avoid expanded display and threaded display if you have performance problems. Especially, when your board has some large threads.
Increasing the php memory limit shouldn't have any negative influence on a webserver with 8gb ram.

---
Take your community to the next level

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 639 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29