Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#77 06/05/2006 3:11 PM
D
D Offline
Hi Rick et al,

Love the new layout, especially the improvements to the post page.

A few thoughts and some bugs.

I operate two forums running version 6.5.2. www.prophotocommunity.com and www.digitalweddingreview.com The things that cause the most issues with my users are the fact that the textboxes get emptied when you press the back button. This still seems to be the case here. The other is a timeout issue if they type a very long post. It returns a "form is no longer valid" error.

Some Bugs I've found in about 35 minutes of testing in no particular order of importance.

1) Poll error where results are shown even when option to keep them hidden is checked.
2)The Preview Post button is not working properly
3) After adding a topic to the watched list it automaticlly returned me to the wrong forum. (the fully moderated forum)
4)Various small icons don't appear all over the board. i.e. below the administrator and moderator names whe you do a search.
5) After viewing a user post from the "user list" menu I used the back button to see the user posts and it said I couldn't make another search at this time.
6)When searching got a "the page cannot be displayed" error when trying to using the back button to look at the other search results.
7) How do I make private calendar entries? (may not be a bug)
8) My "watched forum" email has not arrived yet about 30 minutes later after being set to immediate delivery.
9)Various back button errors regarding empty text boxes etc.

I am using IE on SP2.

I also was interested in the "private topic" option. It appears there may not really be one. Is there a way to send a private message to multiple recipients? And, if so, how does the user view the threaded history of the conversation.

One of the boards I operate is a very large board and I am considering upgrading very soon to one of these two options. I really like what you have done so far. I like that it will feel familiar to most of our members. I would prefer to stay with ubbthreads for this reason. But, I really like the idea of private topics and the ability to have an automated pay system where new subscriptions will be added to the proper group automatically (otherwise known as my payment pal). Are there any plans to support these two options in a robust fashion on ubbthreads?

Thanks for all the hard work. I am very excited about moving forward soon.

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited by Rick; 07/07/2006 8:21 PM.

Signature Line Test. smile Bold
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks for the reports Drew. One of them, "Preview Post button is not working properly". When you click this now, it should show you your preview right beneath the post textarea instead of having to load an entire new page. Are you not seeing this?

Definitely plan on adding the ability to have multiple participants in a private topic. The foundation is there, just need to figure out the best way to enter multiple participants.

As for a payment option. That's definitely something I want to put in. It wouldn't be in version 7, but more than likely would be something that would be started for 7.1. Version 7 will concentrate on reasons to get people willing to pay wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Private topics are here, however they do not support multipl eusers yet. In .Threads6 private messages are not shown as a topic, they are shown as individual messages (not displyed in a threaded manner), whereas they are here (and in classic).

Private Calendar Entries can be entered by viewing the calendar and creating a new event.

I'll leave the rest to Rick wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Drew Strickland
4)Various small icons don't appear all over the board. i.e. below the administrator and moderator names whe you do a search.

I noticed this on the active topics page - having the icons would look much neater than 'moderator' or 'administrator' - beneath the username.

Rick #82 06/05/2006 3:45 PM
D
D Offline
Preview post test. :ooo: Bold

Ok, yes I do see it. Nice to have it on the same page. It does not show the subject line. Not needed now I suppose since you can take care of edits directly in the original textbox.

Regarding payment. I was afraid that would be the case. And I'm guessing the folks who made the original mod for version 6 won't be updating it for v.7. For obvious reasons.

I could possibly find a workaround for this by using paypal directly, but it sure takes a load of admin work off my plate by having it automated. HINT! HINT! to anyone with the skills to want to create a mod like this. I would be willing to easily pay $100 or so for it.

One other thing I forgot to ask about is a spell checker. I'm currently using this solution: https://sourceforge.net/projects/spellerpages/.

Any ideas about whether it would port easily to the new db structure?

Sorry to give you so much work the first day up.

Thanks,
Drew

Oh yes, and the smiley icons don't show up. smile and thanks for the info on the calendar. I was able to add a new event.

Last edited by Drew Strickland; 06/05/2006 3:52 PM.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J Offline
Stock avatars show in choice window but show as broken when chosen and waiting to click "choose this avatar".

--
Website Development and Management
www.jcswebdev.com
Ian #119 06/05/2006 6:32 PM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Ian

I noticed this on the active topics page - having the icons would look much neater than 'moderator' or 'administrator' - beneath the username.

Another one fixed laugh

One other thing I forgot to ask about is a spell checker. I'm currently using this solution: https://sourceforge.net/projects/spellerpages/.

Not a bad idea, but, you might want to give the Google Toolbar a try, it has a spell checker and a lot of other very useful features.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I always assumed this was for individual internal browser use only. Do they have one for static web page or server side use?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I see the little logout bug reared it's head. Something I'm trying to track down.

Rick #141 06/05/2006 10:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Would it also be a bug that unregistered is on the same line as anonymous?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #142 06/05/2006 10:30 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, it would. You're a smart one Gizzy laugh

Rick #143 06/05/2006 10:32 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
/me giggles and munches on a cookie

I'sa good boy!

Rick #158 06/05/2006 11:40 PM
D
D Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
I see the little logout bug reared it's head. Something I'm trying to track down.

Actually I may have logged out and logged into another computer in the office. Don't remember for sure.

Anonymous #159 06/05/2006 11:42 PM
No, its only for individual browser use.

O
O Offline
Originally Posted by usrbingeek

Not a bad idea, but, you might want to give the Google Toolbar a try, it has a spell checker and a lot of other very useful features.
i was sort of disappointed that there was no integrated spell checker, even if rudimentary. i am always having to re-edit my posts because i spot spelling errors and/or typos.

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
Okusi #198 06/06/2006 12:33 PM
shocked Potential bug ... when I clicked on the smilie pop-up, the pop-up remained until I actually chose one. What if I didn't want to use one then?!

~Sue
adwoff.com

P.S. This version of threads looks AWEsome!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
On the subject of the back button losing some fields. We've changed the headers that should be preventing that. Can you point to a particular screen where this is happening? I've tried on a few pages and it's kept the info intact when needing to hit back.

Rick #305 06/07/2006 11:02 PM
D
D Offline
On the subject of the back button losing some fields. We've changed the headers that should be preventing that. Can you point to a particular screen where this is happening? I've tried on a few pages and it's kept the info intact when needing to hit back.

This seems to work much better now in the cases where it hiccuped before. Even the cases with search and registration.

It still returns me to the wrong forum when choosing to add a watched topic.

I'm still not sure if the emails are going out from the watched topics/forums.

D
D Offline

This seems to work much better now in the cases where it hiccuped before. Even the cases with search and registration.

It still returns me to the wrong forum when choosing to add a watched topic.

I'm still not sure if the emails are going out from the watched topics/forums.

Ok polls are still showing results right after voting even with this disabled.

I have to say though, given all the bugs, a lot of progress has been made in a short time. How's the sleep coming Rick. You don't have kids do you.

D
D Offline
I have to say though, given all the bugs, a lot of progress has been made in a short time. How's the sleep coming Rick. You don't have kids do you.

Since you're squashing bugs so fast does this mean you're going to have time to work in the portal page for each individual user? grin

Web 2.0 here we come. Give 'em a platform and get out of the way!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Still got some bugs to work through, like the ones you noted but it's coming along. As the alpha testing guys can attest the past month or 2 have been long days wink Wife would like me back sometime laugh But I'm very determined to get this out and give you guys a good product. Been far too many disappointments in the past year or so, so we have much making up to do.

Rick #373 06/08/2006 11:19 PM
D
D Offline
I'm pretty sure I saw this one posted elsewhere, but when I try to remove my self from a private topic it gives and undefined topic id error.

Hope everyone is doing well.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yep, got that one fixed. Got just about everything fixed that's been reported so far and will be doing an update to a7 tommorow in the morning sometime.

Rick #473 06/11/2006 11:46 PM
O
O Offline
just noticed another calendar anomaly: date being shown in red is 11 June; today is 12 June 10:43am local time.

i note that you use local server time as the base for calculating times and dates. wouldn't it be better to use GMT then give the proper offset (eg, +8, -4, +11, -6, etc) rather than klugey offsets from local time (+16!).

Okusi #474 06/12/2006 4:22 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline

Ian #492 06/13/2006 12:11 AM
O
O Offline
Another date problem. In the recent posts section, this thread is listed with a "last post" of "Today at 15:22". Well, "Today" is only 11:10! smile unless of course you've installed an ESP driver, which antipates what people are going to post in the future! smile

Okusi #493 06/13/2006 12:24 AM
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I Offline
frown and I was gonna write ESP as a mod

O
O Offline
another date problem (am i starting to bug you? smile ) ... in my personal profile, my birthday is dsiplayed as "6/2", which is not in accordance with my preferred format setting. I am grateful, however, that you did not display my year of birth wink

Rick #559 06/16/2006 1:15 AM
D
D Offline
Yep, got that one fixed. Got just about everything fixed that's been reported so far and will be doing an update to a7 tommorow in the morning sometime.

Hi Rick,

I'm sure you are already aware that the polls are still broken. But, just in case I thought I would put it in the bug forum.

Here's a link to a recent 3 minute test.

https://www.ubbcentral.com/version7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558&page=0#Post558

It did allow me to vote and did not allow me to see the result immediately (what I chose). However, after the time is up you cannot see any results at all.

Drew

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Couple more of these fixed. Poll problem and a couple of the date issues.

Rick #599 06/18/2006 9:00 PM
Again, this isn't what I'd consider a *huge* problem, but when I use both MSN Explorer & Mozilla Firefox, and I click on the various posting tools above, the mini-popup stays ...

Here are some screenshots ... note that the pop-up remains as I type and do other things on the page ...

[Linked Image from adwoff.com]

Also, with the LIST KEY , if you choose "cancel"--it puts some code and *null* into the post area.

Little stuff, but I know that my members will go crazy about this kind of stuff.

-----

One other thing I just noticed; I started to type my message and then I decided to insert the graphics. I put the cursor where I wanted to insert the graphics, but when I used the *graphic* button, entered the URL, and then pressed "okay"--it put the code at the end of everything.

It's a little thing, but it'd be nicer if it insert where the cursor is.

~Sue
adwoff.com

Rick #614 06/19/2006 12:01 AM
D
D Offline
Couple more of these fixed. Poll problem and a couple of the date issues.

Thanks, Rick. smile

ADWOFF #615 06/19/2006 12:04 AM
D
D Offline
One other thing I just noticed; I started to type my message and then I decided to insert the graphics. I put the cursor where I wanted to insert the graphics, but when I used the *graphic* button, entered the URL, and then pressed "okay"--it put the code at the end of everything.

It's a little thing, but it'd be nicer if it insert where the cursor is.

Yes, it would be nice for this to be in the right place. 6.5.2 also puts it at the end.

Any idea about whether the "this form is no longer valid" has been fixed? It usually only happens when someone has spent at least 30 minutes or more editing a post before submitting it.

Drew

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The location where it inserts will be fixed for the beta, got it working on my local copy.

And the "this form is no longer valid" is history. Nobody will ever see that again, guaranteed laugh

Rick #680 06/19/2006 11:21 PM
D
D Offline
The location where it inserts will be fixed for the beta, got it working on my local copy.

And the "this form is no longer valid" is history. Nobody will ever see that again, guaranteed laugh

Thanks, Again.

Just wanted to bring up one other thing that has been mentioned before. It's not a bug, but my members will definitely bug me if we don't change it.

Would it be possible to have a seperate "post" link and icon (preferrably large and obvious) outside of the drop down menu?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29