Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#75960 04/11/2002 3:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Everytime I try to register a username on my board it keeps coming back with the following message:

>>Sorry, you may not use a name that someone has previously registered or reserved. Please select another name. Use your back button to return.

I have gone under MEMBER/VIEW EDIT MEMBERS and had it display all members and the name we are trying to register is not in there. Is there another place to look?

#75961 04/11/2002 3:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Try rebuilding member stats.

#75962 04/11/2002 3:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I found a file public_names.cgi in the cgi-bin/members dir. that had a list of names and for some reason the name we were trying was one there. I removed it, reuploaded it and now it works great.

#75963 04/11/2002 4:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Rebuilding member stats is the "preferred" way to fix that problem. It takes care of rebuilding that file. If you edit it manually, you just have to be careful not to introduce inconsistencies into the database.

#75964 04/11/2002 5:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
How do you rebuild member stats?

#75965 04/11/2002 5:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Nevermind I just found it. ahahaha

#75966 03/12/2003 5:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was searching for an answer to this same problem about registering users and came across this.

I had already rebuilt member stats once, but I did it again after reading this thread and still have no luck. It won't let anyone register.

This actually started with some problems I was having with a guy who registered but never got his password emailed to him, in spite of entering the correct email address and receiving all other emails being sent to him. We tried all kinds of things to get his password to him; then I looked it up manually and sent it to him. At that point, I was able to log on as him, but he was not able to log in as himself -- and yeah, we checked case sensitivity, etc.

So this morning I rebuilt member stats and everything I could think of that might be a problem, and then I told him to try a couple more things and if all else fails to re-register under a different name to see if that worked. And that's when this problem started. It seems odd that the two things might be related, but this guy is the ONLY one who's had problems using the BB in the past week, and it just is so oddly coincidental that this registration problem cropped up when he tried to register again.

Can anyone help? I'm totally at a loss and really, really frustrated. Thanks!

Tracy

P.S. We are using UBB classic, version 6.1.0.3, and the board URL is http://www.softrak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi .

#75967 03/13/2003 8:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Tracy:

I'd recommend putting in a Support Ticket.

We may need to go in and look around.....

#75968 03/14/2003 12:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks, I'll do that.

#75969 03/16/2003 9:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Can you please post a note back here if an actual problem was found following the Support ticket. I constantly hear from people who have trouble registering.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29