Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My site is for Members only. To access the site, they must have paid us a fee, after which I send them a confirmation email with a generic username and password. They enter these when the HTTP header pops up the dialogue box when they go to the members-only home page.

I am wrestling with the fact that, in order to post to my UBB forum, my members must also create their own login name and password. My members are not that internet savvy. Having two sets of user names and passwords is too confusing for them (yes, I know that the UBB stuff can be emailed to them) and difficult for me to explain to them.

So what is the best way to integrate UBB into my site under these constraints? I don't want to drop UBB, but this is a deterent to building traffic on my site. Thanks for any help! -v6.04c user

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
(I could have sworn I've seen this thread before, elsewhere... But I can't find it so..)

One solution would be to activate the members only access option in UBB6 and then manually approve all registrations (as fees are paid). Then get rid of the Authorization HTTP header.

(i.e. Go with a UBB-only solution).

No matter what you do, you'll likely need to get rid of the generic username and password (or you'll always have 2). Do I assume correctly that this gets changed monthly or so and anyone who is still within their fee-paid time gets the new one?

Graeme

Moderator: UBB6 How Do I?

NOTE: Any email requests for support will be ignored.

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
>One solution would be to activate the >members only access option in UBB6 and >then manually approve all registrations (as >fees are paid). Then get rid of the >Authorization HTTP header.

>(i.e. Go with a UBB-only solution).

Thanks, Graeme, for the reply. I guess I'm still confused. Seems this strategy would work for the UBB forum, but not elsewhere throughout my site. Right?

>No matter what you do, you'll likely need to >get rid of the generic username and >password (or you'll always have 2). Do I >assume correctly that this gets changed >monthly or so and anyone who is still within >their fee-paid time gets the new one?

It does get changed, only not monthly. Probably once every six months.

Am I to understand correctly that UBB 6.1 will allow users to post without registering? If so, then perhaps I could enable this feature and use only the "front end" generic username/password as the gateway, couldn't I?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
True - you can completely turn off UBB's registration functions and/or allow unregistered posting in all forums.

Keep in mind this disables some UBB features (i.e. PMs, editing own messages, etc..)

Additionally, no registered user will be able to post under that name (so make sure you don't have any) if you completely disable registration (not just suspend it!)

Graeme

Moderator: UBB6 How Do I?

NOTE: Any email requests for support will be ignored.

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, 1 invisible), 998 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29