Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm doing a mix of moving an existing board and installing a new board, so I'm not sure which forum this question belongs in (UBB Installation or Post Installation Troubleshooting). Also, the problem is installation related, but it happened directly following an installation. I apologize in advance for cross-posting, and I hope only one of the post is deleted.

Ok, someone admired my forum and wanted me to set theirs up in a similar fashion. He bought a UBB license, downloaded version 5.46a a few weeks ago, and I set it up in no time. He made a sample post (shown here) and everything ran smoothly. This week, I went to modify his forum, but ran across some compatibility issues with his newer version. So I switched his scripts back to the 5.44a that my forum uses, so I could import some hacks. The problem is, I can no longer make new topics, add replies, or edit the thread that he created.

If I click the reply, new topic, and edit links, everything on those pages comes up fine. But when I press submit, I'm taken to a blank page, instead of the normal redirect page. I checked my NonCGI directory and no thread files are added or modified.

I've searched the Installation and Post Installation boards for possible solutions. So far I've:

1- made sure all the permissions were set properly
2- deleted postings.cgi and re-uploaded a fresh version

Now I'm wondering what I should do. I can still open and close the thread, so I know the postings.cgi file isn't totally corrupt. But it still can't add, reply, or edit posts.

Does anyone have any ideas? His forum isn't officially open yet, so if the only solution is to delete everything and re-install, nothing valuable will be lost. But I would like to know a) what's causing the problem, and b) how I would go about re-installing it properly. I'm not setting up a new forum exactly, because I'm using hacked scripts...but I'm not moving a forum either, because it's a totally different site. Which files should I upload from my forum and which should I upload from his ubb zip file?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It looks like that board is hacked up some. Would it be possible to upload an unhacked 5.47b? It will be near impossible to identify the problem with hacks installed.

Also, please elaborate on these "compatibility issues". There shouldn't be any, if 5.44 will run 5.47 should too.

------------------
Doug
darksaber.hispeed.com
I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.
--Darth Vader, The Empire Strikes Back

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'll clarify, my bad...

The hacks are the compatibility issue, not the forum running. The original 5.46a forum I uploaded worked fine, but I couldn't add hacks to it from my board, because I run a 5.44a, and the scripts are so different.

Also, my 5.44a forum works fine here
http://www.wodie.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Those scripts have been the same for months, so I know there isn't a problem with the hacks I've added. Also, both of our sites are located on the same web host and even the same server. So that rules out a lot of possibilities.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
nevermind...i'll just start from scratch

thanks anyway

[This message has been edited by Justice (edited 12-13-2000).]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
[]He bought a UBB license, downloaded version 5.46a a few weeks ago[/quote[

No he didn't. 5.46a hasn't been available for quite a while, so if that's the version he has, it's pirated. I would advise you cease helping him immediatly until he gets a 5.47b

--mark

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
man, what the hell?

The guy who I'm setting up the forum for just told me he got an e-mail from piracy@infopop.com telling him he's suspected to have an illegal UBB. I can only assume this is due to you, and that was totally unnecessary. I just read this forum's announcements and it says you automatically report UBBs as pirated if they're running an older version, but you also said you needed to know the reason why. I said in my post:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">This week, I went to modify his forum, but ran across some compatibility issues with his newer version. So I switched his scripts back to the 5.44a that my forum uses, so I could import some hacks.</font>
And you reported him anyway. Do you have some kind of pirated ubb quota to fill? Do you get a pat on the head for reporting forums, even if they aren't pirated? That was totally uncalled for. If you really want to stop piracy, why don't you people check to see if the forum is registered before you run around e-mailing threats and accusations. That's unprofessional behavior, and a horrible way to treat customers spending hundreds of dollars on licensed software.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
1) No that wasn't me who sent it, and I'm glad someone did because I didn't have time to. Per policy, any old versions get followed up on. Yeah I saw you say why you did your 5.44a. I don't see an adequate explanation for the 5.46x however. As I said, if he's claiming he just downloaded it, that's incorrect information, as it hasn't been available to download in quite a long time.

2) we don't get verification from the customer because we are not Infopop employees and it is out of our jurisdiction so to speak. If someone sends an email to Brett, he follows up on it to verify. So the "why don't you verify first" IS what Brett is doing. Furthermore, Brett checks the database and if he finds an entry he does nothing. If he doesn't that's when the email gets sent. So if your friend got the email, all he needs to do is provide confirmation that he is a legitamte licesne holder

3) Pirated ubb's are rampant and that's the policy. There is absolutley no reason to be doing brand new installs with old versions of UBB, which have security holes and bugs that haven't been patched. There's probably greater than 99% chance that a brand new install with an older ubb is not legitamate. There are exceptions, but usually that isn't the case. They don't get automatically reported as pirated, they get reported as need confirmation.

4) No, no quotas to fill. We just like catching as many of the illegitamate boards as we can. The ones that are legitamate have no issues.

5) If you have further issue, you're welcome to email []bharris@infopop.com[/] and []dave@infopop.com<br[/] />
--mark

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mark Badolato:
I don't see an adequate explanation for the 5.46x however. As I said, if he's claiming he just downloaded it, that's incorrect information, as it hasn't been available to download in quite a long time.</font>
Like I said, it was installed weeks ago. He didn't just install anything. Did you even read my post?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mark Badolato:
If someone sends an email to Brett, he follows up on it to verify. So the "why don't you verify first" IS what Brett is doing.</font>
No, he sent an e-mail asking the man to remove the software. "Please remove this infringing material from your servers for this violation or disable access to the same. Failure to remove or disable the infringing material could subject you to sanction under federal law."

That's a really nice e-mail to get from a company after seaking technical support from a product you spent 200 dollars on. Good job, infopop.

You said you weren't responsible for this, and I'm not trying to come down on you, but whether you or someone else at UBB were behind this, there was no excuse for it to happen. All they had to do was check first. Brett e-mails the guy threating to take legal action and THEN asks if the forum is lisenced? What kind of ignorant, backwards process is that? You can close this thread now...nothing productive has come out of it.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Justice, I am not going to get into another arguement with you. Last time, it was highly unproductive, and I'm not in the mood for it again.

Read what *I* said. 5.46a was long ago, not mere "weeks" ago. Also read that if he got that email from Brett, then Brett could not find his registration information in the database. All he needs to do is provide proof to Brett and the matter is done with.

This is the end of the discussion and the thread is closed. If there are issues, take them up with Brett directly via email.

As for the installation issue, once 5.47b appears on that server, with no hacks installed in it, we would be more then happy to assist with installation troubles, so please post again.

--mark

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That 5.44a is totally out of line because the Copyright has been modified in violation of our License Agreement. This Copyright:

UBB 5.44a - Additional Features & Design by Justice

Has to go - it is a violation of the License Agreement as the License Agreement link can provide you with.

Note that we do apologize for this but to receive support on these forums you need to have a license and be in compliance with it.

Please post comments to reply to me at []piracy@infopop.com<br[/] />
------------------
Regards,

Brett Harris
Director of Technical Information, Infopop Corporation

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Please note that the same thing goes for:

http://www.wodie.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

That copyright has to be put back and you will need individual licenses for both.

They both have the same hacks and styles - I will need to have you mail me two licenses, please.

------------------
Regards,

Brett Harris
Director of Technical Information, Infopop Corporation

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 552 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29