Thread Like Summary
Gizmo, isaac
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Ruben
Ruben
The main admin of the site exclusively uses his mobile phone to access the site.
I think it is a non wifi but phone data connection because he lives on a boat.
So his ip is changing constantly even several times in one day
On several occasions his login was blocked:
He waits a while and can login but his ip changes.
for example here is one message
Your IP address is currently listed in the Stop Forum Spam database as a known spammer/spambot, and as such your account cannot be registered. To proceed you'll need to request a removal to clear yourself from their database.login
His IP at the time was
2600:387:8:f::1c
ISP: AT&T Wireless

But visiting sfs there are several ip matches but none are him. If I try the removal it rejects the request and states that it is not in the database.
This has happened three times this month alone.
Yesterday it was ip 2600:387:8:5::c5 that was blocked.

Any suggestions on tracking this down? is there someplace UBB keeps this info for a while?
Liked Replies
by Gizmo
Gizmo
Originally Posted by Ruben
IPV6 are not a issue especially abbreviated ones?
"short" IPv6 are still valid IPv6 addresses, and the checks are still done on the Stop Forum Spam side of things. We simply look for a "yes" or "no" from the request.

Example Request to SFS
Example Response from SFS:
Code
<response success="true">
	<type>ip</type>
	<appears>yes</appears>
	<lastseen>2019-12-06 20:16:59</lastseen>
	<frequency>12</frequency>
</response>
1 member likes this
by isaac
isaac
Originally Posted by Ruben
So what you are saying is as soon as he gets the login error,as quickly as possible before his ip changes is to submit a removal?
That may be difficult to do for him now he is leaving for open water to Hawaii.

He may want to reduce the SFS level or disable it if he is constantly gaining new IP addresses from a global satellite internet receiver during his travels. I dont know how global satellite internet receivers distribute/rotate/expire IP addresses, as I only have ever used the more common wireless network connections such as wifi and cellular from the major providers within north america.

You have four choices; A) Manual (initial setting), B) Semi-Auto, C) Auto with message to registrant, and D) Auto with silent Fail. Each have their pros and cons.

StopForumSpam Protection Levels available within UBB.threads:
  • Manual - This allows the Admin to easily check new registrations with one click
  • Semi-Auto - This automatically checks new registrations in member management, but might delay, if there are timeouts with StopForumSpam
  • Auto with Message - Adds to Semi-Auto and gives a new registrant a message that they were blocked and how to remedy the situation
  • Auto with Silent Fail - Does what Auto with Message does, but fails silently, which might fool spammers into thinking they signed up.

At the end of the day, all of this may be moot if he will have zero access while in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. These suggestions and the ones Gizmo has provided are common for admins who are at free hotspot zones such as hotels, train stations, coffee shops, or using a VPN providing IP address groups which are IPs also used by spammers and other abuser types. Again though, look at adjusting your SFS level if your current SFS level is causing issue for you.
1 member likes this
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 791 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29