Thread Like Summary
drkknght00, Gizmo, isaac
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by drkknght00
drkknght00
oh, hello smile

my oldest baby dates back to the late 90s, and is ready for new life! I was recently forced to change hosts, and I downloaded a copy of my (disgustingly large) database. I would love some support in getting running once more.

What are my next steps? Do I purchase the license first, upload the latest version of the software, then purchase the added service for installation / import help...?

best,
Rob

(just for kicks, I was also this guy: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/327/drkknght !)
Liked Replies
by drkknght00
drkknght00
thanks friends -- sorry for radio silence, there were some import errors on the database; it borked at like 98%. i have a full 100% import now, so i can try again this evening smile
2 members like this
by Gizmo
Gizmo
Then simply run /install/upgrade.php, it'll get you to the latest version.

This is covered on the Upgrade Guide section "Upgrading within UBB.threads v7"
1 member likes this
by Gizmo
Gizmo
Are you trying to do a new install over an existing database? If so, you're generally supposed to do an upgrade unless you're migrating from UBB.Classic 6 or UBB.threads 6, in which case you have to be using either a different database or different table prefix (as compared to your old database) if your host limits your amount of databases.

For migrations you'd run the v7 installer (/install/install.php) in a different database or using a separate prefix as far as the createtable.php step brings you, then you'll have to run the import scripts (do not make an admin user or populate the tables).

For an upgrade within v7 you'd run the upgrade utility (/install/upgrade.php).

Could you outline what you're attempting to do, any steps you've taken, and what versions are involved?
1 member likes this
by drkknght00
drkknght00
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wow, you imported a large db over PHPMyAdmin? I wouldn't do that any larger than a GB as you could run into timeout issues with a large transaction (and really wouldn't notice missing content unless its all fresh in your mind, and even then)... Generally with large DBs I'd advise using the command line interface to fully process the queries.

aye, that is what happened. phpmyadmin kept timing out. i had to work with my host to do the command line method (i did not yet have direct access)

but now.... wahoo! i've got a working forum smile

its hideous -- i must have messed up the templates somewhere (and can't seem to reset the styles yet)

but... rkmbs.com is alive!!!
1 member likes this
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 546 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29