UBBCentral

Search does not work very well

Posted By: teamzr1

Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 03:00 AM

I did a test with search routine using a word that was in subject line and / or in content for one forum or all and made no difference as results were none and that answer comes within 1 sec of starting the search.

What can be wrong, it is set for a minimum of 5, then 1 tried 10 seconds with same results

Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 07:58 AM

What word and was it 4 characters or more?
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 05:12 PM

Minimum Searchable Word Length is set to three

so word like AIR fails, word like INTAKE only shows 2 posts when there is many posts with that word along with it used in subject line
It just seems not to be searching since zero response happens as soon as click is done.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 07:00 PM

Do you control PHP and MySQL on the server? If not then you can not set it to 3 and in fact it is recommended NOT to set it to 3 as it will impact performance of the system. If you're on a shared host provider then I know you can't search for 3 character as they won't enable it for performance reasons.

That said, yes the new FULL TEXT search is a bit different and Rick has said a few times he hope to revisit the search maybe in 7.3 and offer different methods.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 07:16 PM

Search is failing poorly on my forum
Granted about 3 letters but there is no reason if
"air intake" is used that instantly when clicking on submit
get :

There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria.

Something either lost when updating to V 7 or some other issue
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 09:53 PM

my take is that the quotes are ignored and you now have 2 queries AIR and INTAKE

AIR may be causing INTAKE to fail as well (not sure)

INTAKE should find something though.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 09:59 PM

Well can't search your site without registering and when I try to register and click on link sent to me I get.

Quote:
We were unable to find the account to verify. If this account was registered over 24 hours ago then you will need to re-register, as it has been deleted. Otherwise, please check your confirmation email and make sure you followed the link correctly.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:12 PM

Maybe because you had to be approved 1st which I just did
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:13 PM

Okay, that's fine but if that is the case I would put that wording in the sent e-mail and on the web page of the link when clicked so the user is aware that is what the cause is.

Okay, Google finds 10 entries so let me go search local site.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:15 PM

I think you may have some type of www vs no www link referrer page issue. Login from a main page link allowed me to login but then when I clicked next link (In Firefox) it said I was not logged in. Logged in from that page and mow I appear to be okay so something somewhere is a bit off.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:19 PM

Okay I just got 2 pages of links with 25 links per page for INTAKE on all forums and 1 year (you have 1 year set as a limit)

A search for "air+intake" for all forums and 1 year returned 7 hits for me.
Same results for "air intake"
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:22 PM

A search for "corvette" returned about 100 hits.

So the search does appear to be working okay from what I can see.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:25 PM

Domains for HTTP Referer Check:
is set to :
http://teamzr1.com|http://www.teamzr1.com
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:26 PM

Yeah seems fine just saying something is odd just not sure of the root cause. I should not have had to login twice.

Is the main Website just a normal web page or is it running under a Content Management System ?
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:27 PM

That must be default text V 7.2 has since I have not chamged any default text such as this

Originally Posted by ntdoc
Okay, that's fine but if that is the case I would put that wording in the sent e-mail and on the web page of the link when clicked so the user is aware that is what the cause is.

Okay, Google finds 10 entries so let me go search local site.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:29 PM

You should be able to go change that under your Control Panel. Not positive which one contains that but you can ask one of the Mods here or poke around and see if you can find it, if you do want to change it. Not saying you have to, just seems it would be a bit more user friendly if changed to reflect it.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:30 PM

Domain has a website http://teamzr1.com and forum is another software function I have installed on the hostserver

Originally Posted by ntdoc
Yeah seems fine just saying something is odd just not sure of the root cause. I should not have had to login twice.

Is the main Website just a normal web page or is it running under a Content Management System ?
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:34 PM

I cannot find the email text you received anywhere,
Enable Email Verification? is on to limit the spammers so I assume that trips that content but find no areas related to membership to change the wording

Originally Posted by ntdoc
You should be able to go change that under your Control Panel. Not positive which one contains that but you can ask one of the Mods here or poke around and see if you can find it, if you do want to change it. Not saying you have to, just seems it would be a bit more user friendly if changed to reflect it.
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:38 PM

Under Control Panel- Templates

Maybe one like newuser_signup.tpl

Not sure of which one but it's there somewhere I'm sure.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:40 PM

Damn when I do the exact search string I still get no hits.
That is including the " s


Search was set as

Maximum date range is 3 years.

Newer than 1 Week
Older than 3 Year(s)

Originally Posted by ntdoc
Okay I just got 2 pages of links with 25 links per page for INTAKE on all forums and 1 year (you have 1 year set as a limit)

A search for "air+intake" for all forums and 1 year returned 7 hits for me.
Same results for "air intake"
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:44 PM

Quote:
Newer than 1 Week
Older than 3 Year(s)


Well why are you fighting yourself with limits like that.

1. There may not be any hits newer than 1 week
2. You have an imposed limit of 1 year so you are not going to find anything 3 years old.

You need to change the default limit of 1 year you have set if you want to search beyond 1 year.

Don't put any older than, just do the search with NEWER THAN 1 YEAR (1 year is set in Control Panel as the maximum search length)


Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:46 PM

Okay I see it is now set to 3 years.

I get 4 pages of results still for INTAKE
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:47 PM

If I search

no entry for NEWER THAN

1 day OLDER THAN

I get 4 pages with 25 per page for INTAKE
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 10:58 PM

OK got it, its the way the new / old values are used or thought of my end user when they read/select the search window

Originally Posted by ntdoc
If I search

no entry for NEWER THAN

1 day OLDER THAN

I get 4 pages with 25 per page for INTAKE
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 11:01 PM

set in config max of 4 years for search but when search is done shows posts as far back as January 16, 2001 08:52 AM
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 11:02 PM

Was the site upgraded from 6.x at one time? If so then my guess is that some posts were just read wrong on the date during the import / update.
Posted By: teamzr1

Re: Search does not work very well - 07/22/07 11:07 PM

I upgraded from V6 classic to V7.1 and BETA builds to final V7.2
© 2018 UBB.threads PHP Forum Software Community