UBBCentral

Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance !

Posted By: rfd123

Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 08:49 PM

Active 47k user UBB CLASSIC 6.7.1 forum needs to be converted/moved to SMF 2.0.13

Forum resides on its own server with unlimited bandwidth and server space, complete control panel, full access granted.

Not looking for freebie help - this is for PAID assistance.

Contact: rfd@rfd.cc
Posted By: Gizmo

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 09:02 PM

It appears that their only importer is for UBBthreads (SMF: Converters, on that note, have you looked at the improvements to UBBthreads in the latest release? It's got a more modern feel and great mobile capability right out of the box...
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It appears that their only importer is for UBBthreads (SMF: Converters, on that note, have you looked at the improvements to UBBthreads in the latest release? It's got a more modern feel and great mobile capability right out of the box...


correct, no official UBB classic converter - though there is one by SMF's mike bobbitt for early UBB/SMF versions. he's not interested in pursuing updating his converter, but his old converter is available. AFAIK, UBB threads isn't stand-alone. we want our own forum software, on our server. we're using SMF for other forums and like its platform.

OTOH, maybe going to UBB threads could be a step to then go from UBB threads to SMF .... we're desperate to get off UBB classic.
Posted By: Ruben

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 10:13 PM

I am curious, issue
You talked to SD back in 2011 about the same issues and nothing ever came out of it.
It appears that he did a proof of concept
that you did not find acceptable.
What is different now?
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ruben
I am curious, issue
You talked to SD back in 2011 about the same issues and nothing ever came out of it.
It appears that he did a proof of concept
that you did not find acceptable.
What is different now?


of the 3 or 4 form software folks that attempted to convert the UBB forum to ANY relational database forum software (phpBB, V-bulletin, UBB threads), no conversion was ever successful. none ever even completed without conversion stopping errors that were never resolved and we all just gave up.

what's "different" now is nothing more than a last ditch effort to buy our way over to any viable relational database (mysql) forum software.

that's it.

r.
Posted By: Gizmo

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 10:44 PM

Was there any import attempted by SD to UBBthreads? If it failed then it'll fail now as there hasn't been any work on the UBBClassic importer since early UBBthreads7.
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/13/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Was there any import attempted by SD to UBBthreads? If it failed then it'll fail now as there hasn't been any work on the UBBClassic importer since early UBBthreads7.


of the 3 or 4 form software folks that attempted to convert the UBB forum to ANY relational database forum software (phpBB, V-bulletin, UBB threads), no conversion was ever successful. none ever even completed without conversion stopping errors that were never resolved and we all just gave up.

this is a last ditch effort to buy our way over to any viable relational database (mysql) forum software.

that's it.

r.
Posted By: AllenAyres

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/29/17 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by rfd123

correct, no official UBB classic converter - though there is one by SMF's mike bobbitt for early UBB/SMF versions. he's not interested in pursuing updating his converter, but his old converter is available. AFAIK, UBB threads isn't stand-alone. we want our own forum software, on our server. we're using SMF for other forums and like its platform.


You guys are missing his question.

R. - ubb.threads is standalone - install it on your server. Use MySQL, go crazy smile

You may be thinking of the spinoff social-strata (or whatever their name is now) is doing, which is a hosted forum.

I remember Mike Bobbit, long long ago smile If LK couldn't import, I don't know if anyone can. That said, what is special about your .classic that keeps it from importing? I've imported larger forums than that. Are there extra profile fields? Something else?
Posted By: AllenAyres

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/29/17 03:47 AM

OH, SD did it - it sounds like it worked, took 8 hours, what was the problem after that?
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/29/17 10:03 AM

SO ... UBBthreads is stand-alone?

as to the conversion/migration, all ancient stuff from way long ago ... bottom line, it never converted. and now "it" is lots bigger, with more threads, posts, boards and near 47k users. it's on our own private server with unlimited server space and bandwidth. what could be more fun to play with, eh?

anyone want a crack at it now? a convert to UBBthreads is fine, cause that shouldn't be an issue (hmm, famous last words), to SMF.

r.
Posted By: AllenAyres

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/29/17 07:33 PM

If it's a vanilla install of .classic there shouldn't be a problem converting. It might take a day or 2 but it's just a matter of reading -> writing, reading -> writing, a million times or more.

If the server is dedicated, probably will need to increase the amount of memory available to php/mysql during the import + Slow down the process so the reading doesn't get ahead of the writing (the hand-holding SD was talking about). In most of my imports, if it hiccuped you just had to back up one screen and it would go again.
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 05/29/17 08:35 PM

wanna give it a go? smile
Posted By: rfd123

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 06/20/17 12:59 PM

anyone? PLEASE??? we're dying out here in ubb classic land .....

rfd@rfd.cc
Posted By: JAISP

Re: Seeking PAID forum conversion assistance ! - 07/02/17 04:39 PM

You need the "UBB.classic Import Script Version 4.0 (May 27, 2006) for UBB.threads 7.0 and Higher only" import script then right?
© 2017 UBB.threads PHP Forum Software Community