UBBCentral

7.5 Discussion

Posted By: Rick

7.5 Discussion - 01/19/09 03:13 PM

Version 7.5 is currently in development. We've started a changelog that you can use to track the development here.

You can use this topic to discuss the upcoming changes.
Posted By: smallufo

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/19/09 05:19 PM

>> FEATURE: Added a vistor comments section to the profile page.
Please make sure user can turn on/off these comments.

>> FEATURE: Added a UBB Buddies box to the profile page which will show who as added that particular user to their friends list.
I am not sure what it is , but I hope for a privacy option. Some user may be reluctant to let others know who is in his buddy list.

Posted By: Ruben

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/19/09 09:17 PM

When browsing to the forum summary page the newpost.gif indicates unread posts in each forum.
When you open the forum and view only one of many new posts then browse to another forum. The indicator shows all posts read(nonewposts.gif) for that forum. Even though all new posts have not been read.
I know this is not a bug but I think it is a design flaw that leads to many missed posts. Causing members to add bump posts to bring attention to their topic.
I would prefer to have the newposts.gif to always appear in the summary page when there are unread posts or replies in a forum. A user can always use the "mark all as read" option.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/19/09 09:21 PM

Old search engine.
As promised we are to get the old search engine option in the next release. HERE
I hope this makes it in this release.
I would also like to see a default date range search in the control panel. The newer than older than date is to confusing for my people. I would like to see start with all dates and then refine the search with a less than greater than option to drill down to a topic result.
Posted By: Pink Jazz

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/19/09 09:34 PM

So, will blogs be added in 7.5? Remember that we had a poll on what to add on the next major version. Blogs won.

Anyway, if blogs are added in 7.5, the next version afterward will include a redesign of the GUI. However, Rick has stated that it may be split into two releases, with the first being a redesign of the administrator UI, and the second being a redesign of the user UI. If this is the case, the new admin UI should be in version 7.6, and the new user UI should be in version 8.0.
Posted By: Ian

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 07:19 AM

Rick - could you kindly clarify (as I have got confused LOL) - are blogs or UI now going be included in 7.5?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 01:04 PM

7.5 is going to have a bit of a user profile update and then I'll put a few more things in, maybe a couple of the ubbdev mods and fix a few more lingering issues.

At that point, we'll split off a branch and start working on 8.0. Updates for the 7 series will still be put out as needed to fix any bugs during the time 8.0 is being developed.

Originally I was going to split the control panel and then ui rewrite into 2 versions. After spending some time in the planning stage that isn't really feasible. If I did the control panel first, I'd be writing it for the way the front end currently is done, so once the front end was done, the control panel would have to be changed again. So we'll end up tackling these together.

And just for clarification, this won't just be a new face. We'll be adding plenty of new features along with it and I'll keep the changelog updated as things are added.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 01:08 PM

Thanks - but you did not mention blogs at all - when do you see these as being added?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 01:33 PM

Sorry, these WILL be in version 8.0. If they aren't you have my permission to come to my house and flog me. I'll even pay for your flight wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 01:53 PM

okay - next question that many users will ask is.... When do you envisage version 8 (i.e. which quarter?)

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 02:40 PM

At this point, I'm not sure. Let's get 7.5 finished and out then we can really dig into 8.0. It's not going to take as long as the 7.0 rewrite took, I can say that. It is going to be a big upgrade though. Not only with the UI, but with the foundation as well. We'll probably end up trimming down or getting rid of smarty, put in support to use memcache, and alter a few database tables for better performance.

Once we really start in on it, I can answer that question a bit better.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 11:04 PM

Quote:
CHANGE: Spaces will now be removed from the beginning and end of Login Names, Display Names and Passwords.

Will this cause some issues with existing members that don't use the "remember me on each visit" check box and use the browser option to remember the login.
Seems that if they saved the login info in the browser it will not work until they update .
Most members I have logout after their session.( don't know why but they do)

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/22/09 11:51 PM

No, this will only be for new registrations.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 02:12 PM

Quote:
FEATURE: Put in an option to use the old style forum search. Full-text searching will probably be faster on larger forums, however this gives the option to search for shorter words or words that might be ignored using Full-text searching.

Okay I am ready for 7.5
Thats all I wanted

Hip Hip Hurray grin

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 04:09 PM

Split this topic. Old replies concerning the poll and new direction are in the general discussion forum.
Posted By: JAISP

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 04:13 PM

I was not aware that you can split a topic. When did that come into play?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 04:17 PM

Been around since 7.1 I believe, maybe earlier wink. When you edit an individual post at the bottom of that post you'll see a "Move/Merge this post and any replies."

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 04:20 PM

Oh crap. I missed that. LOL

Where did you move that post or thread, lol, I couldn't find it.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/23/09 04:28 PM

Move and renamed here.
Posted By: David Dreezer

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/24/09 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rick
It's not going to take as long as the 7.0 rewrite took, I can say that.

Taking longer would be unpossible wink. I'll take the blame for that, too.
Posted By: Basil

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 04:57 PM

AWe'll probably end up trimming down or getting rid of smarty, put in support to use memcache, and alter a few database tables for better performance.

Will this mean that the dozens of integrated pages I made using smarty will be broken? Will there be another way to re-make all those pages in the 8.0 version, a way to convert what I have? This would be a major concern for me.
Posted By: DLWebmaestro

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 08:40 PM

Oy... I'd be in the same pickle as Basil if smarty was ditched. I had to rewrite a whole heap of integrated pages (516KB worth) when moving from v6 to v7. I hope I don't have to do it again...

I'd probably just stick with v7 for a while after the release of v8 if this were the case, since I don't have the time to code that I used to.

[/whine]

Hehe... v8
Posted By: Gizmo

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 10:39 PM

I was digging the "Smarty Lite" thing I heard so much about...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 11:07 PM

Yeah, still looking at Smarty Lite, which would almost be a drop in replacement, so custom pages would not need to be rewritten.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 11:22 PM

Smarty Lite is now "Template Lite", for any who'd like to read blah blah, it's here

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 11:29 PM

BTW Rick, you mentioned before that it'd be difficult to use smarty because it doesn't use section which we do; but something i read earlier said that they recommend using for instead as it's faster (clicky)

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/25/09 11:35 PM

Well, it does use section now evidently, quoting the changelog:
Quote:

April 11, 2006 - Version 1.60
* Added section/sectionelse function.
Posted By: Mark S

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/26/09 10:17 PM

First time for a long time i'm seeing

Features out way Fixes smile

Clicky Me

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/26/09 10:20 PM

You know what happens:
New Features,New Fixes

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/26/09 10:22 PM

pmsl - stop it lol

I'm trying to be positive lol

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/27/09 12:07 AM

Me too.
But you know as well as me.
Net new changes lead to the potential for more bug fixes.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/28/09 12:29 AM

Quote:
It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/28/09 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by DLWebmaestro
Quote:
It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature.
What, are we apple all of a sudden?
Posted By: Dunny

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/28/09 09:54 PM

Looks great so far!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 04:21 PM

Any small/useful changes anyone would like to see in 7.5? Just trying to some things in that are quick to add and have been asked for quite a bit.
Posted By: Pink Jazz

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 06:22 PM

Any small/useful changes anyone would like to see in 7.5? Just trying to some things in that are quick to add and have been asked for quite a bit.

What about a public polls option where the users who voted are displayed in the results? It should be a user-specified option when creating a poll.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 06:34 PM

Rick left himself wide open on this one. HA HA
Suggestions Forum

But it would also be nice to add some tools in the control panel
Such as some default mysql commands that he repeatably runs or suggests for us when we have a question, problem or issue.
Posted By: gliderdad

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 06:59 PM

LOL
Posted By: AllenAyres

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:01 PM

Possible to sort the pm's like the topics are sorted in the forums? (username, date, title, etc) - not sure how much the code would overlap but it would make their usage much more useful. A 'search' function in there would too, I'd like to clean out some or find some on occasion but it's nearly impossible without just hitting the 'delete all' button smile
Posted By: JimUK

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:06 PM

What about an option for adding weekly recurring events in the calendar ?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:09 PM

I'd love for the nofollow link to be an option too, right now I have to go in an remove it, but if it defaulted to 'on' and was an option to be 'off' that would be cool smile

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jacampbe
What about an option for adding weekly recurring events in the calendar ?

That's a start but I don't think weekly even gets close if you are going to change adding calendar events.
If the calendar is going to be enhanced then you need to add everything somewhat like outlook does.

Attached picture calendar.GIF

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:49 PM

ability to remove/move all posts from a spammer in one go, instead of having to go through each post in turn.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:54 PM

Ian you can do that now when you delete a member
you get the option on the next screen to leave them
in place or not wink

---

Last on line (Last Active) in the Users list smile
Its in the Who's on line but no where else.

Last on line is a Header, but you cant see where the result comes from, only that that member was online before that one.

Huge Hat's off for asking for options ( Feedback ) we like that Rick smile

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I'd love for the nofollow link to be an option too, right now I have to go in an remove it, but if it defaulted to 'on' and was an option to be 'off' that would be cool smile

I don't get it.
I guess I really don't understand what you are talking about.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 07:57 PM

hyperlinks in a post or signature i guess,
stopping advertising i guess.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:20 PM

Yeh, my recommendations are entitled "Gizmo's list of suggestions" in the suggestions forum tongue

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:20 PM

Agree, I'd like to see a switch for "in posts" and "in user signatures" though... possibly even one for "user homepages"

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Agree, I'd like to see a switch for "in posts" and "in user signatures" though... possibly even one for "user homepages"

I agree!!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:29 PM

I'd like to see announcements handled like this on the category index clicky

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:32 PM

Hmm, i had a demo of how i wanted to see "thank this post" work, but I can't find it lol... I'll look for it later, have a load to do.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/29/09 08:35 PM

Yeh, my recommendations are entitled "Gizmo's list of suggestions" in the suggestions forum tongue

LOL
Gizmo you have not updated that list in a while.
You should be up to around 200.
He He He

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/30/09 12:48 AM

Lol true, I so need to go strikethrough items that've been added... I'm like the unofficial idea guy tongue...
Posted By: Mors

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/31/09 10:56 AM

Add Security to Calendar. Certain Groups can see dates posted and other groups cannot..

It would be a great addition.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/31/09 03:53 PM

Just remember that I am looking at small additions. I don't want to add anything major that will take too long. Would like to get 7.5 out so we can start working on 8.0.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/31/09 07:43 PM

Ive been given a script for the most viewed Thread. (From Script keeper)

See it here http://www.audiotoolers.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

with a little tweak it could behave as

This weeks most viewed Topics.
With it being locked down to X days then it wont
stand still. 7 days being from the date of creation?

PHP Code
/* PHP CODE HERE */

$notIn = '6';
$limit = 10;
$orderBy = 't.TOPIC_VIEWS';
$notIn = ($notIn) ? 'WHERE f.FORUM_ID NOT IN ('.$notIn.') ' : 'WHERE 1 ';

// First, let's get an HTML table started.. m'kay ?
$stuff  = '<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" border="0">';

// Set up the query
$query = "
SELECT t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, t.TOPIC_VIEWS, t.POST_ID
FROM {$config['TABLE_PREFIX']}TOPICS t,
{$config['TABLE_PREFIX']}POSTS p,
{$config['TABLE_PREFIX']}FORUMS f,
{$config['TABLE_PREFIX']}USERS u
$notIn
AND t.FORUM_ID = f.FORUM_ID
AND t.TOPIC_IS_APPROVED = 1
AND t.TOPIC_LAST_POST_ID = p.POST_ID
AND t.TOPIC_LAST_POSTER_ID = u.USER_ID
ORDER BY $orderBy DESC
LIMIT $limit
";
$sth = $dbh->do_query($query,__LINE__,__FILE__);
$innerds = '';
$rowNum = 0;
while(list($pSubj,$tViews,$tPostID) = $dbh->fetch_array($sth)) {
$count = $tViews;
$innerds  .= '<tr><td align=left style="border-bottom: 1px solid #202020;"><a href="'.$config['FULL_URL'].'/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number='.$tPostID.'">'.$pSubj.'</a></td>
<td align=right valign=top style="border-bottom: 1px solid #202020;">'.$count.'</td></tr>';
$rowNum++;
}
$stuff .= $innerds.'</table>';

/* BODY HERE */
$body = <<<EOF
$stuff
EOF; 

Sir Dude put the above together so credits to him smile

So that could be a New Stock Custom island ?
Just an idea as your looking for something quick.
Posted By: SD

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 01/31/09 07:44 PM

ah yes, i remember that one smile

the variable $innerds gave it a way laugh
Posted By: Yarp™

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 01:24 AM

For 7.5, something that could be made that wouldn't get lost later on is a PM permission overhaul.

You already added the max topic size. At my board I hacked that in, and also a max. topic age. If the PT is 3 months old, you cannot reply in it anymore.

Next thing on my to-do is to not allow replies in topics where it's just you in the topic.

To keep things current, and not to be an archive, the next step after that would be to turn of sending PM's for anyone that has PT's that haven't gotten a reply in a year to force them to clean up.

Also my earlier request to impose limits to the actual owner of the PM box, instead of the people sending to that BOX would make any limit scheme a lot easier to code and maintain in the future.

And another small feature request, the e-mail PM could be enhanced. Include the subject, and also make the function available from within the PM. It's nice when you are reading the actual PM to be able to "delete/mail it" it on the spot.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 01:29 AM

Second suggestion which I'm not sure if it's too big for 7.5 or not, is a poll overhaul. It's irritating that have to hit a vote button for each question you add to a post.

I liked the 6.5.x way *A LOT* more! One post, multiple questions, one submit button. Actually shouldn't be to much work, it's just the voting screen that's need adjusting and the vote processing to process more questions and to reject non-complete votes.

Part of the poll overhaul could be to store both the USER_ID plus the IP address of a voter in the database.

Now it's a shared field, with just IP adresses of anonymous users, but to detect double votes from users, I would sometimes like to check on the IP address of the votees.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 01:50 AM

I made a "karma" hack way back in the day... and have been slowly working on one for 7.x. My time is extremely limited nowadays compared to what it used to be, so if you guys want to make it an official feature, I wouldn't complain! wink

What I'm trying to do with this one is have it so there is a +/- link (of sorts) with each post. One link to say it's a good post, another to say it's garbage. This will build up, or knock down, people's "karma points." The number of points a member's karma click of a post would give or take away would be set by group. Also, a group may only give a karma click to any given post once (first come, first serve) with the exception of administrators and moderators. This could be permissions-based too for any group. Finally, the reason I want to do this at all, this would be tied in to automatic promotions. Once reaching a predetermined number of points, a member will be promoted to the next group, and vice-verse if their points drop. I have never been one to award titles or ranking completely based on post count -- I'm more of a "quality" person, and this is the perfect solution.

Anyway, I know it reads like a lot, but it's a simple mod that can be finished in less than a full day's of work I'm sure.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 10:21 AM

Allow replies to global announcements when the admin wishes to get replies to a post rather than having to link to a separate post.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 08:13 PM

Just remember that I am looking at small additions. I don't want to add anything major that will take too long. Would like to get 7.5 out so we can start working on 8.0.

Another loaded statement. Not knowing what is not major. grin
But anyway.
I think you moved my post can't find it now so I will repeat.
Maybe add some canned mysql commands in the control panel that you are constantly asked for.
Add a restore mysql database in the control panel.
Add the multiple identity check.

Here is another one that was orphaned when the topic was moved. There was at least one reply by Mark
Quote:
When browsing to the forum summary page the newpost.gif indicates unread posts in each forum.
When you open the forum and view only one of many new posts then browse to another forum. The indicator shows all posts read(nonewposts.gif) for that forum. Even though all new posts have not been read.
I know this is not a bug but I think it is a design flaw that leads to many missed posts. Causing members to add bump posts to bring attention to their topic.
I would prefer to have the newposts.gif to always appear in the summary page when there are unread posts or replies in a forum. A user can always use the "mark all as read" option.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ruben Rocha

I think this was asked for more then once. Code was all ready written, used, works, and been around a long time. Not like it would be hard to make it a part of the message board as a standard release.

I had used it in the past but like others I got tired of hacking it into all the new releases and gave up on it as well as many other features that are on UBBDev and been used for quite some time.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 10:12 PM

I would agree, probably one of only two hacks I have to add from dev besides the one adding the how many posts made in 24 hour one.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
Allow replies to global announcements when the admin wishes to get replies to a post rather than having to link to a separate post.

O i forgot about that one i agree, this is why i never use Global Announcements, its daft linking to another thread.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 11:05 PM

I'll have to admit I don't use global announcements very often.
But when I do. It usually has to do with changes such as upgrades
or changes which makes it necessary to make "a reply to thread" to link to, so someone can respond.

So I agree on this.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/01/09 11:31 PM

I know I have been beatup on this before.
But how about a undo feature when upgrading.
So if you upgrade and something goes amiss you can undo the changes and revert back to the older version so at least the board still functions till the issues are resolved.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ian
I like

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 06:09 AM

I'd love to see the Show the Last Online Time in Profile mod added tongue...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thelockman

I think this was asked for more then once. Code was all ready written, used, works, and been around a long time. Not like it would be hard to make it a part of the message board as a standard release.

I had used it in the past but like others I got tired of hacking it into all the new releases and gave up on it as well as many other features that are on UBBDev and been used for quite some time.

This will be getting in for 7.5 and these are the types of things I want to get added. Basically I don't want to add anything that requires a bunch of rewriting of what's already there. I'm just looking for some things to add over the next couple weeks.

For example, replying to Global Announcements. This one will have to wait for 8.0. The way we handle Global announcements right now doesn't allow for replies without some major rewriting.

Another example is Mark's suggestion on the new post tracking. I have some ideas how to make this much better, but again it's some major rewriting of how we handle it now, so it's an 8.0 thing not a 7.5 thing wink

7.5 = things that can be added without having to rework too much existing code, since more than likely it will have to be redone again for 8.0.
Posted By: Chosen

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 05:31 PM

I have what I think is a simple one. In the permissions system I'd like to have an option in the CP permissions section to toggle the CP link display. None of my mods can do anything with the site, so I have to modify the CP link with every upgrade because they don't want to see it.

Then at some future point in time I'd like to selectively be able to give mods access to areas of the CP.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 06:21 PM

How about cleaning up the registration form.
If you have optional registration fields enabled.
You get two submit buttons.
One on the required fields form and one on the optional fields form.
That confuses new people because they think they have to select both of them. And of course they can't.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 06:35 PM

How about a method of completely disabling the calendar from the CP? It'd hide the calendar link, and not show any links in the calendar sidebar and while trying to view the calendar page it'll say you're a bad monkey and that it's been disabled by the forum gods...
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 06:40 PM

I like that idea Gizmo

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 06:53 PM

How about a method of completely disabling the calendar from the CP? It'd hide the calendar link, and not show any links in the calendar sidebar and while trying to view the calendar page it'll say you're a bad monkey and that it's been disabled by the forum gods...

Put that in yesterday, just haven't updated the changelog yet wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/02/09 07:03 PM

So does that mean the error message on the calendar will be.
Quote:
you're a bad monkey and that it's been disabled by the forum gods...
grin

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 08:21 AM

Oh, I hope so tongue...
Posted By: Fishtails

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 04:54 PM

The calendar on the portal page shows a small calendar. I would prefer to show a list of the upcoming events rather than a calendar. If not added to the feature list, perhaps someone could post the sql query for me and I'll add it to a portal box myself? Thanks.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 07:33 PM

Birthday Island

How about
Birthdays

Todays +
Next 7 days ( Give peeps a chance to save for that pressy )

its quick, its cheap
and it may just work lol

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 08:45 PM

Here should be a very simple change.
Add alt text to the icons that appear next to the user name:
for the admins and moderators.
newbies don't know what they mean.
I think most all of the other items such as watched topics,sticky topics, etc have them already but there probably are a couple others missing somewhere.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 09:13 PM

Not sure of major or minor change but here is a post on sub forums I made a while back.
Sub Forums

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 11:08 PM

As speedy fast-to-add stuff goes:

https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/317585/%5B7.3%5D%20Viewing%20MySQL%20logfiles%20m.html#Post317585

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/03/09 11:29 PM

i've already sent Rick my ubbt_POSTS speedup 'new fangled index' idea.. (working on 2 very large ubbt installs already)

it prolly wouldn't hurt to add that same thing to TOPICS as well. smile

board speed is boosted significantly by this...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/04/09 03:10 AM

I have two words for what UBB needs....

Trunk Monkeys....

'Nuff said.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/04/09 08:18 PM

What ever Rick goes for in a quick add in for 7.5

I just hope its MEMBERS SIDE Please.

2 new features added that are again, control panel options.
No enhancement for members to reply thats cool
i like that?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/04/09 08:48 PM

I'm going to take back my statement that I can't make it so you can reply to global announcements. I figured out how we can allow for this, they will be replyable by default, closing them will make it so they can't be replied to.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/04/09 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S

2 new features added that are again, control panel options.
No enhancement for members to reply thats cool
i like that?

I'm just going down some of the recent suggestions for things to add, not really focusing on a particular area currently. And the vast majority of suggestions has been for the control panel stuff wink

We'll get a few more user end things in place, maybe a couple of the suggested islands.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/05/09 05:31 AM

Just to let the "powers that be" know, I completed my "Karma" modification. Here is the blurb I posted at my Website to explain it to my members:
Quote:
Below posts, you will see two new buttons. They are labeled "Add Karma" and "Remove Karma." If you have a star in your rank (the second rank possible) then YOU will be able to help decide promotions! If you read a post, and you think it adds to the community in a positive way, go ahead and click "Add Karma." On the other hand, if you read a post that really doesn't add anything, like if it's just a "Yeah, I agree" post or something abusive, vulgar, etc., go ahead and click that "Remove Karma" button. Because we at Drumlines.org know and appreciate that is it our members that make this Website go 'round, we have decided to include you in the process of deciding who deserves promoting (or even demoting.)

By clicking these new links, you will add or remove Karma points from the member's Karma. The higher your rank, the more Karma points you will automatically give or take with each click. Only one person from each rank may add or remove Karma from any given post. So if you get a message that someone from your group has already set Karma for the post, this is why. Additionally, you may not add or remove Karma from staff members or use the feature in the Off-Topic forum. Staff, if you did not know, are the members with the pretty Yellow ranks and Red or Blue names.

Once a member has reached a predetermined (super secret) amount of Karma points, they will be automatically promoted to the next rank! The opposite is also true, if a member loses Karma points, and falls down to the previous threshold, they will be automatically demoted.

So anyway, if lowly me could do this in a matter of less than a week, I'm sure the pros can knock it out quicker, and probably a lot more efficiently... wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/05/09 07:22 PM

Quote:
FEATURE: Put in an option to use the old style forum search. Full-text searching will probably be faster on larger forums, however this gives the option to search for shorter words or words that might be ignored using Full-text searching.

I am ecstatic about this for my members but it would also be nice in the advanced search to set the default date range to something other than "newer than 1 week"
The older than date range is blank , Why not the newer than.

I know I could edit the default setting but then it is just more maint. when upgrading.

Why not use the default setting in "Search Maximum Search Date Range:" in the control panel as the default for the date range in the search criteria.
For that matter use it for the advanced search as well.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/06/09 04:50 PM

Not sure of major or minor change but here is a post on sub forums I made a while back.
Sub Forums

Just an FYI, that this will come with the redesign. The plan being that by default it would just show the number, but be expandable so you could actually see the list and if there were new posts in each subforum.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/06/09 08:24 PM

Otay Buckwheat!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/07/09 11:36 PM

CHANGE: Modified the download script so it will pull images from the browser cache if available instead of redownloading every time.

That sounds good as FF is peein me off as it try's to download the images again on long image threads.

Liking some of these changes wink

---------------------

FEATURE: Added the Multi-Identity detector from UBBDev orginally posted by Chillin. Admins or Mods that have the ability to edit users in the control panel will have a new option under their Preferences to receive a notification when someone logs into multiple accounts.

is that a Notification By e-mail or a forum notice?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/07/09 11:48 PM

Well the original mod says a private message.
Mark I know where you are going with this and I agree.
"Why a email message"
I would really like to see this in addition to the pm but in the control panel. Just like when the mysql error log shows something to view in the control panel.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/07/09 11:49 PM

Yeh exactly and throw in the notify a post too smile

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/08/09 11:35 PM

Rick,
Any completion date for 7.5 yet?

It is just I am really really anxious for the old search feature.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/09/09 03:19 PM

I'd like to get the final out by the end of the month, so would like to be beta testing by next Monday or so.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/09/09 07:31 PM

Sounds Good Sounds Good

hey hey hey words of praise from me lol

Note the time the date and the level of the tide lol
Posted By: smallufo

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 12:31 PM

Twitter API Integration

It's easy and (maybe) powerful.
Posted By: Chosen

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 03:13 PM

2 New requests from my members, and the first sounds simple enough. Could an option be put in so that new people can be added to a PM?

And the second request is for some way to manage PMs, ala Gizmo's list #65. I used to have the PM folders hack installed on my classic forum and my members loved it.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 04:14 PM

We've debated a bit about adding a new member to an existing PM as in who gets to do it, etc.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 04:19 PM

i'll do it laugh

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 04:40 PM

You go girl!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 06:30 PM

We've debated a bit about adding a new member to an existing PM as in who gets to do it, etc.
The Person who started the pm in the first place wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 06:31 PM

The Person who started the pm in the first place wink

The concern would be, what if the other users in the PM don't approve. Example. Say you invite me to a topic and I start badmouthing Gizmo. You decide to invite Gizmo to the private topic. Now he can see all the horrible things I said about him, even though I thought the conversation was just going to be me and you.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 07:11 PM

Gizmo knows everyone badmouths him anyway... so what's the big debate about? wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/10/09 10:33 PM

laugh laugh

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 03:10 AM

The topic creator should be the admin of the PT! yey! lol...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 03:10 AM

Gizmo knows everyone badmouths him anyway... so what's the big debate about? wink
:sniff: you're mean :'(
Posted By: ntdoc

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 04:23 AM

Don't take it to heart Giz. He was trying to be funny - I'm sure he didn't mean it.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 04:22 PM

Just an FYI. We will be adding an option for this for posts and for signatures. The long term plan would be to do this as a group type permission. So, maybe users that initially join and haven't posted much, nofollow would be turned on. But a user that has been there awhile and is in a different group, nofollow would be turned off.

For now however, it's an all on/off thing, with a switch for links in posts and one for signatures. The nofollow in both sigs and posts are generated at creation however. So if you really want to change old sigs/posts you'll need to rebuild sigs or posts.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 05:15 PM

That's cool, thank you smile

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 06:51 PM

How about making adding to a PM only available to Mods and Admin?

You can imagine users, slagging off another member,
drawing in someone and then, just for the hell of it
invite in the member who was being slagged at.

I don't think it could be trusted to be used correctly
at user level.

Admin Mods and Topic Starter is the adder i think could work.
Well we like to think so.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 07:28 PM

Quote:
FEATURE: Added 2 new options to the Primary/Advanced section of the Control panel that will allow admins to turn on/off rel="nofollow" in posts and signatures.
FEATURE: Added a new portal island to display Most Viewed topics. Sirdude supplied the original code, added an option to only show topics active within the past X number of days (active being created or replied to during that time).

OMG!!!
More Settings. laugh

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 07:51 PM

Quote:
FEATURE: Added a new portal island to display Most Viewed topics. Sirdude supplied the original code, added an option to only show topics active within the past X number of days (active being created or replied to during that time).

Excellent smile

A Little naggin goes along way smile
Something for the USERS / MEMBERS yehhhhhhhhhh

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 07:53 PM

O dear ?
Scrap the Replied ???

Or your going to end up with a Chat Thread always at the top.
Making it New Topics Only In that Period would enable a forever changing list.

IMO

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 10:16 PM

That's true. Like our Temptation thread here would always be up top. Probably will change that to just Creation time.
Posted By: ScriptKeeper

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 10:16 PM

.....unless you have the ability to deselect certain forums from displaying in the island.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper

.....unless you have the ability to deselect certain forums from displaying in the island.

I like that idea :thumb:

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 10:41 PM

Second that, we have ontopic sections, and offtopic, and we'd like to only include ontopic sections for such an island. Heck, I could see multiple island for multiple categories.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/11/09 10:53 PM

So I guess you could just clone the same program from the Island active topics or Portal topics display.
Simple? Rick?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by blaaskaak

Second that, we have ontopic sections, and offtopic, and we'd like to only include ontopic sections for such an island. Heck, I could see multiple island for multiple categories.
third

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 04:26 AM

I meant to second it so, I will say fourth tongue

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 12:47 PM

A couple of good user features would be....

1) it would also be nice at some point to have links for users to bookmark threads/posts on sites such as digg or del.icio.us etc.

2) Clickable links for AIM, Skype, ICQ, MSN etc., to directly interact with the software on the users computer so that people can communicate easily.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 05:24 PM

I'm currently using http://www.addthis.com

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 08:25 PM

I'm currently using http://www.addthis.com

I was using this too for a while but dropped it (clicky). I found that my forum was slowing down because it was waiting for external content to load. I basically dropped all externally linked content from my site because of this. I'd much prefer any additions to be internally coded to avoid slow load times.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 10:56 PM

I've had no problem with waiting for loading, and I'm on dial-up at home. I used the social mod for a little while, but like addthis because I can keep track of what is being done.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/12/09 11:24 PM

Agreed to addtis, it works well for me...

A secret, don't add it to every post, just every page lol... (such as a sidebar or in the menu at the top of the page)

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/16/09 11:35 PM

Okay maybe I missed this but?
What is the point in 7.5 when you view your profile to see who added you to their buddies list. You can't act on it and they are not in my buddies list.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/16/09 11:47 PM

To show how popular you are? smile I dunno, just one of those things that's been requested way back since 6.something.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/16/09 11:55 PM

Okay, Hummm???
Maybe someone will point out it will need something to enhance it.
So they can use it how they wanted it.
To me it would be like knowing somebody added my email address to their address book to send me email but, So what.
But just as a note in Rick's profile the nopicture gif is missing in two profiles in the ubbbuddies section. Maybe they had a avatar at one time that was deleted.

Just so the old search is there, Who cares. Heh Heh!!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 12:14 AM

Yep, the old search engine is in, and turned on here.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 12:34 AM

Okay I see that the search engine has changed now. No indication as such here. (Hip Hip Hurray)
But again looking at the profile. Should not the contact area include the public email address as well as the other stuff in the profile(IM).
Oh I guess they do just had to find someone that had it populated.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 08:44 AM

Just a note on visitor comments. Right now it's an on/off thing. I think I'll make it into a minimum # of posts thing. That way you won't have people sign up just to spam visitor comments.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 05:05 PM

Maybe it could tied to group permissions and/or post count?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 05:54 PM

deffo should make it adjustable in the permissions to do it properly..

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 07:42 PM

Well the new Visitor Comments seem to work quite well. Right now they seem to be used like the private message system just that they are for public view. I assume they will convert to pages at some point when the number of comments increase?

Is this going to be somewhat where the blog format will be going to?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 07:56 PM

10 comments and then you'll see page numbers. Somewhat like a PM system, but we kinda want to avoid that, so you can't comment in your own profile wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ruben
Visitor Comments: Is this going to be somewhat where the blog format will be going to?

And now answer to part two from my prior post?
Just trying to get an idea of what it will be.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 10:19 PM

Visitor Comments: Is this going to be somewhat where the blog format will be going to?

And now answer to part two from my prior post?

Haven't a clue at this point, since the visitor comments then, might not look like the visitor comments now wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 10:20 PM

Heh Heh Heh.
Okay!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 11:06 PM

Why does it go to the last new post and not the first new post in each thread? I though the idea was so you do not have to scroll all the time when following a thread over time. On my board ver 7.4 it goes to the first unread post in a thread not the last unread post in a thread like here.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 11:21 PM

Hmm, it's still going to the first unread post for me and didn't change anything in this area that I know of.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 11:31 PM

Maybe here with the high activity when you visit a post and new posts span multiple pages since your last visit you are taken to the last page. Instead of say the last post on the previous page?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/17/09 11:33 PM

Everything's working how it should on my end. I visited this thread and the first newest post was on page 14, so it took me to page 14 and then I clicked on page 15 to continue reading new posts.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 01:00 AM

Last post on last page. If there are 6 post's then I see the last one and have to scroll up.

It has been like this since there was some sort of bug and was repaired a little while back in this site. I never installed 7.4.2 on my server as I bug fixed most of it before it was out anyway.

This does not happen on my sites however.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 01:50 AM

Are you clicking on the topic itself or on the last post link?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 11:17 AM

Post link in the most recent post mainly.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 11:19 AM

Now that you mention it if I go into the threads page and then click on the topic it works perfectly.

But if I click on the most recent topic it is where it is not working and sends me to the bottom of the page.

Never thought that there was a difference.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 03:59 PM

Maybe it could tied to group permissions and/or post count?

I think we'll do this for 8.0. Right now, 99% of people don't have a group for new users with limited access, so 99% of forums, as soon as a user registers they are going to be able to post visitor comments. When we do 8.0, we'll add a new default group for say 25 posts, so everyone will have it set default, without needing to jump through any extra steps.

For now, I just want to make it so people can't just sign up and spam visitor comments.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 04:00 PM

Now that you mention it if I go into the threads page and then click on the topic it works perfectly.

But if I click on the most recent topic it is where it is not working and sends me to the bottom of the page.

Never thought that there was a difference.

Yeah, all the other links will take you to the very last post to go along with what the header of the column states which is Last Post.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 07:37 PM

Your Bloggy bit ?

It should be IMO only Buddies who can reply?

1. it will enhance the buddies feature.
2. stop crap from being posted in there smile

(Mark quickly adds Rick to Buddie List so it looks like
we chat a lot via pm lol )

- - - - - -

We could also do with a new notations in there?

1. Last comments are at the Top. (Opposite to a Forum post).

HOLD THE PHONE !!

Hang on ive only just realised the Buddie list on the
profile page shows (Users that have added me).

You could switch it to users in your own buddie list,
and then use that list as your gate keeper to posts
that are allowed.

IMO (Users that have added me) not interested.
That's why we have a rating system to see who loves me lol.

Good Work i like it i do.
Just turn it up right lol

Also

Ive commented in Ricks Profile,
that i think the comment box should be at the top.
Under Profile, but above buddies and comments.
And then no matter how long your Buddie list is,
your always at the top ready to post, and not scrolling
up and down.

Can you reply to comments in your profile ??

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 11:14 PM

yeh know, I was expecting to see MY buddies that i've added there vs who's added me... But I can see where people would want to know who added them as a buddy but I figure visitors would wnat to see who I thought was a friend vs who liked me (a tick perhaps? or separate section?)

I'd also love to see the "Profile Picture" field added back to the profile but I guess thats where user galleries are supposed to come in at some point (though I'd still like to see a basic, never changing photo)

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 11:31 PM

Your looking for the profile photo thing they had in UBB.CLASSIC there Gizmo?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/18/09 11:55 PM

I would like the profile photo to. I would like it to work so if a user wants to change their photo it would replace the current one and delete the old so you don't have a ton of photos saved.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 12:18 AM

same idea for avvies.. i see xxxx.gif and xxx.png and xxxx.jpg in the upload dir, where xxxx is the same user number wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 12:29 AM

I agree, it got so bad with my users constantly uploading new avvies I disabled users from uploading.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 01:02 AM

(though I'd still like to see a basic, never changing photo)

Expect a release of my forumfaces mod in march/april. We've been running it for years, and it allows users both to set their own pictures, and the ability to set pictures for other users. We also have an overview of all users that have pictures.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 01:23 AM

Your looking for the profile photo thing they had in UBB.CLASSIC there Gizmo?
mmmmhmmm

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by gliderdad
I would like the profile photo to. I would like it to work so if a user wants to change their photo it would replace the current one and delete the old so you don't have a ton of photos saved.

Originally Posted by Sirdude
same idea for avvies.. i see xxxx.gif and xxx.png and xxxx.jpg in the upload dir, where xxxx is the same user number

With all these dirt cheap web hosting places you guys all use just get more HDD space, geesh. I have a 1 TB HDD for my communities.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 01:59 AM

It's more of a housekeeping thing than a space issue.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 02:08 AM

yah, and try connecting with FTP and go into a directory with 50000 files that aren't used... *cue jeopardy music*

NOTHING to do with the space used at all wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 02:09 AM

With all these dirt cheap web hosting places you guys all use just get more HDD space, geesh. I have a 1 TB HDD for my communities.

It's more of a housekeeping thing than a space issue.

Thank you, it's not a space issue. Why would you want to keep pictures that wont ever be used again. I have about 30,000+ images in the directory. I have two dedicated server sitting next to me each with 1 Tb of space.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 10:21 PM

I just noticed on when looking at a members profile now the Signature is missing.
In 7.4.2 it was there.
Oversight? Or intentional?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/19/09 11:05 PM

Here is a old item.
In the FAQ menu.
If I select the "How do I login" item.
It says
Username (email address) and Password.
This site is the only site I use a email address as a user name that has ubb.
Don't know why or how? Because I can't set that in the current version.
User name is whatever the registrant enters during registration.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/20/09 07:10 AM

I live for running Betas in a production environment! Muahaha! As is such, I have 7.5b2 running over at my Website. I'll pass along any buggies (if any) that my members find.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/21/09 10:55 PM

After my HOLD THE Phone previous post i done some thinking
about that area where currently it has Buddies list.

I think it could be better severed as a members private
gallery area where they could up load a max ?? Pictures
with there own comments.

This would also enhance there profile,
and sharing family or experiences shots.

Showing the buddies in its current Avatar list is a waste
of space and info (ish) Just do a list of buddies
no need for the avatars as most are missing anywyas.

My idea's anyways.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/23/09 12:42 PM

FEATURE: Added the Multi-Identity detector from UBBDev orginally posted by Chillin. Admins or Mods that have the ability to edit users in the control panel will have a new option under their Preferences to receive a notification when someone logs into multiple accounts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just received a PM on my site which reads:

Quote:
Multiple Account Login

A user from the IP 81.133.232.190 has logged in to the following accounts: G*****s

So, what does that tell me?

What I thought this feature did was report when User1 logs out and back in as User2, User3, etc. so that you can identify Quote:"when someone logs into multiple accounts":Unquote. The PM received tells me nothing really.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/23/09 01:11 PM

The original hack posted in UBBDev told you what the multiple names were that was used by that person. I don't know why it ever would have been changed or should have when it was added in this version as standard. Perhaps the read out PM message is a BUG.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/23/09 03:27 PM

Yes, this is currently buggered and not reporting properly in the PM.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/23/09 04:08 PM

b0rkt?! oh nos! cry
Posted By: Z65Paul

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/23/09 11:33 PM

I know it's late to suggest this but...

Quote:
CHANGE: Since the Member List can be sorted by Last Online, it will now show when each user was last online.

It would be very handy to have this 'last online' also show up in a user's profile.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 12:53 AM

Clicky

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 07:03 AM

Got UGN upgraded tonight; need to get my other forums pushed out but don't feel like remodding files tonight tongue...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 07:27 AM

You can do eeet!

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:55 AM

Should I be getting 'A user from the IP x.x.x.x has logged in to the following accounts: XXXXXXX'

I have only selected the option to see duplciates, whereas this would indicate a PM everytime someone logs in, which will result in a lot of PM's on a busy forum.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 01:34 PM

This still has a bit of a bug apparently which I'm working on now.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
Should I be getting 'A user from the IP x.x.x.x has logged in to the following accounts: XXXXXXX'

I have only selected the option to see duplciates, whereas this would indicate a PM everytime someone logs in, which will result in a lot of PM's on a busy forum.

Scroll back a few posts. wink

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ian

Scroll back a few posts. wink

Different bug tongue
Posted By: Zarzal

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 09:02 PM

just another long night smile Thanks for the release. I will do my language files soon as possible.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
Different bug tongue

Ah, got it now, after reading it again. It's the same report but I've deciphered it differently. smile

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 09:52 PM

LOL - obviously too many pancakes smile
Posted By: Yomar

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:02 PM

Where is this option?
Quote:
added an option to only show topics active within the past X number of days (active being created or replied to during that time).

I can't find it.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:20 PM

I guess you are talking about:
Quote:
Added a new portal island to display Most Viewed topics. Sirdude supplied the original code, added an option to only show topics active within the past X number of days (active being created or replied to during that time).

I can't find it either. In portal settings you can exclude forums ,Set cache time, but not exclude posts within past number of days.

RICK?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:34 PM

Looking at popular topics options a little more. All the other post islands and Portal news items you select what forums to include. Why is popular topics bass ackwards( Texas Term)"Select what to exclude"?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:35 PM

admin/portal_settings.php
Originally Posted by Portal Settings
Recent Posts Timeframe.
Total # of posts that have been made within this timeframe (in hours) will be displayed.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:39 PM

admin/portal_settings.php
Originally Posted by Portal Settings
Recent Posts Timeframe.
Total # of posts that have been made within this timeframe (in hours) will be displayed.

"Recent Posts Time frame" is not there in cp>>Portal settings.
Only reference to popular topics is "Exclude popular topics in these forums: "

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:39 PM

Looking at popular topics options a little more. All the other post islands and Portal news items you select what forums to include. Why is popular topics bass ackwards( Texas Term)"Select what to exclude"?
Rick probably hypothesized that people would want to include more than exclude. Much along the same lines as listing the cars I have owned instead of listing all of the cars I have not owned.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 02/24/09 10:51 PM

This is some kind of bug. The number of topics called popular_1 is missing in the form for portal settings.
Stephan has posted it in the bug forum
Posted By: whk

List of files changed for 7.5? - 02/24/09 10:54 PM

I made some mods to files on 7.4.2 to customize my board. Is there a link to a change log that tells me what files changed in the 7.5 release?

These are the files that I have modified in 7.4.2 and if I don't need to change them in 7.5, would like to know:
/ubbthreads/templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl
/ubbthreads/templates/default/showmembers.tpl
/ubbthreads/templates/default/editbasic.tpl
/ubbthreads/languages/english/changebasic.php
/ubbthreads/languages/english/editbasic.php
/ubbthreads/languages/english/showprofile.php
/ubbthreads/scripts/changebasic.inc.php
/ubbthreads/scripts/showprofile.inc.php
/ubbthreads/scripts/showmembers.inc.php

Re: List of files changed for 7.5? - 02/24/09 11:00 PM

When you download the zip. in the install folder is two txt files one for languages and one for files.
Posted By: whk

Re: List of files changed for 7.5? - 02/25/09 02:12 AM

Thanks! The upgrade went smoothly, and I only needed to mod 3 files to restore what I had.
Posted By: pinkmelon

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/19/09 03:51 PM

What would be the advantage of a blog feature and why is this such a big issue?
By that do you mean each member can have his own blog?
If that is the case I do not want it. Have sufficient trouble moderarting one board and having to moderate several thousand blogs would be hell.
On top of that a message board is pretty much the same as a blog.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/19/09 08:46 PM

To each his own. Some people have no use for blogs, others have no use for a message board.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/19/09 09:15 PM

'm sure if 20+ users wanted the peanut butter jellytime image as a default gramelin Rick would put it in... it's a "user requested feature" thing that users want to make their site(s) more popular...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 02:09 AM

What kind of crack is that Gizmo?

Trying to be Smart.

Rick is the one that said he wanted to put blogs in the message board 2 years ago. Are we going to get back into this debate once more?

Like I said, some communities have a use for blogs and some don't. It is up to the community and the site owner not the general opinion poll of some users verses another, PERIOD. Just cus Joe Blow's community can't see a reason for Blogs that don't mean that someone else's community wouldn't benefit from them.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A USE FOR THE BLOGS IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO SATE THAT CONTINUALLY, JUST DON'T USE THEM. ENOUGH ALL READY.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 02:46 AM

No, I'm saying, the features that end up IN the stock product are "popular sugguestions" from the users; that's how a good chunk of them have made it in.

My peanut butter jellytime stance was just an example...

If a user doesn't like a feature, Rick builds in a way to disable them; so it's usually as easy as just turning them off...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 03:05 AM

It's peanut butter jelly time!!! Peanut butter jelly time!!!

Attached picture yay.gif

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 03:12 AM

Now thats what I'm talkin about...

[Linked Image]

^^ I wonder why that won't parse?

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 03:17 AM

libs/bbcode.inc.php == fubard

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 03:33 AM

Yeah, I've noticed they haven't been parsing for a while now, so that's why I put it as an attachment.

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 03:05 PM

[Linked Image] I have it fix0red.
Posted By: Robje01

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 04:02 PM

Now it's your keyboard's turn smile fix0red?
Posted By: pinkmelon

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JAISP
To each his own. Some people have no use for blogs, others have no use for a message board.

Very true
That is why I bought a bunch of message board licenses, use message boards, and visit UBBthreads. For my Webs with blogs I go somewhere else and do not ask them to develop a message board for each blog user...

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/20/09 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Robje01
Now it's your keyboard's turn smile fix0red?

fix0red™ SD -- all rights reserved laugh
Posted By: HotSpotOutdoors.com

Re: 7.5 Discussion - 03/24/09 04:53 PM

I would like to offer the blog feature to our members. A blog is NOT the same as the Forums.

I can see why some may not want to offer blogs and I can definitely see why other communities want to offer blogs. It makes it more of a home for some members of that community.

To us it's a must have.
© 2017 UBB.threads PHP Forum Software Community