Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi there,

A few days ago, our Google ReCaptcha feature has stopped appearing for our guests. I've checked the keys and they're fine. No indication that ReCaptcha had undergone an update or maintenance. I've tried switching to other styles, but it didn't fix the issue. We're using ImageMagick, I've tried switching to GD2, issue persists.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from aliendisc.net]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ReCaptcha is currently working here at UBBCentral, on the New User page; I attempted to test this at your site, but it appears that you've disabled it. I am not seeing any outages listed at:
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/recaptcha.net.html
http://downdetector.com/status/google
http://www.websitedownup.com/recaptcha.net

As for the built in libraries, as long as the captcha image displays in the Control Panel selection, it should display for your users (as it utilizes the same coding).

Make sure that your users aren't blocking Javascript, or see if they're using a security plugin that'd block 3rd party (offsite) scripts.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I attempted to test this at your site, but it appears that you've disabled it.

It's enabled under Guest user group and under Display > General > Captcha Settings.

There were a couple spam bots that got by the captcha when it was working, but I haven't changed anything with it as far as I know...

There are 18 errors on the front page though using Chrome Developer Mode, but don't really see any regarding ReCaptcha...

Last edited by M4TT; 07/01/2018 7:43 PM.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm not seeing any header on your New User page for any of the captcha options. Regardless of the option you select, there should be a section for " CAPTCHA Verification"

As for "bots getting in", a good chunk of spammers aren't automated bots, they're humans who're being paid pennies for posts, so there is always the chance of spam. If the spammer is human, and they are on good IP addresses, then there is not much that can be done to determine if their posted content is spam or useful; which is why we keep moderators around.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's so odd!

I attempted to post as a guest, but it came up with an error:

CAPTCHA Verification incorrect or missing. Please try again.

I've turned on registration verification too, to no avail.

I wonder what happened to the code? Maybe I should restore some original files if they've somehow been altered?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Please remove everything from your HTML includes (or any manually injected coding) and try it again, I see this which may be screwing with the code loading:
Code
<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/home/aliendisc/public_html/favicon.ico> <script src='https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js'></script><script src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js"></script>

Its possible that the bad HTML (you're not closing an open quote) is causing issues with following code. Not to mention, your users and bots aren't loading your favicon, because you're linking the local filesystem path vs a web accessible path.

Also make sure that your Secret Key and Site Key are the CORRECT codes, and are not transposed.

Journeyman
Journeyman
You're right Gizmo! It was bad HTML... The CAPTCHA works now... Thank you for your help!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Be careful with manually updating coding; we work hard to make sure everything loads in a completely stock (unmodified) environment, and can only support stock files (we cannot support your modifications, not our monkeys, not our zoo).

Also, when submitting a bug report, please turn off the code minification option in the control panel (or turn debugging on, which will disable minification as well), so we can read the HTML coding.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29