ã Groupee Incorporated. All rights reserved.
2401 Fourth Avenue, Suite 500• Seattle WA 98121
Phone 206.283.5999 • Fax 206.283.6616
Before beginning, read these instructions completely. The 6.5.x releases have changed the way upgrading works, and it is important to understand the new procedure before you begin.
You should create a backup of your existing UBB.threads™ database before beginning.
You should create a backup of your existing UBB.threads™ installation before beginning.
Take note of your current UBB.threads™ version. You will need to know this version number for some later steps.
1) Download the latest version of UBB.threads™ from the Member Area.
2) Extract the upgrade files, using a program like WinZip to unzip the distribution zip.
3) Use your UBB.threads™ control panel to turn your board off.
4) Connect to your server using your FTP client. Navigate the client to your current UBB.threads™ installation directory.
5) If you are upgrading from a version prior to 6.5, move "config.inc.php", "main.inc.php", and "theme.inc.php" from the UBB.threads™ installation directory into the "includes" subdirectory. If your "config.inc.php" file is being stored in another location, there is no need to move it into the "includes" directory.
6) Upload all files (but not directories) from the unzipped UBB.threads™ directory to the UBB.threads™ installation directory.
7) If there is no "sessions" directory inside your UBB.threads™ installation directory, create one and set wide permissions on it. On UNIX systems, set permissions on the directory to 0777. On Windows systems, give the IUSR_ account “Modify,” “Read,” and “Write” permissions.
8) If you are upgrading from UBB.threads™ 6.4.2 or lower, delete the "admin" directory from your existing UBB.threads™ installation on the server.
9) Upload the "admin" directory and all files within it.
10) Upload the "images" directory and all files within it. You should use Binary mode in your FTP client to transfer all images. Be careful not to overwrite any custom images you may be using! Hint: When in doubt, queue the files for uploading, but then choose “Skip All” when asked if you wish to overwrite a file. This will upload images that don’t already exist on the server, but will not overwrite images that already do exist.
11) Upload the "install" directory and all files within it.
12) Upload the "templates" directory and all files within it.
13) Upload the "ci_builders" directory to the server.
14) Upload the "ContentIslands" directory to the server, if there is no directory with that name present.
15) Upload the unzipped "imports" directory to the server, if there is no directory with that name present.
16) If you are using the cron scripts, note the existing settings inside each file you are using before uploading the unzipped "cron" directory and all files within it. Please see the “Setting up a Cron Task” document at this URL:
17) Examine the unzipped "includes" directory. Compare its contents with the "includes" directory on the server. Upload any files in this directory that do not exist on the server.
18) Examine the unzipped "stylesheets" directory. Compare its contents with the "stylesheets" directory on the server. Upload any files in this directory that do not exist on the server.
19) If you have not set permissions on the "languages" directory on the server to allow editing of the languages through the control panel, you will also need to upload the unzipped "languages" directory. If permissions have already been set, then you may skip this step. Please remember this decision, as it will be needed later.
Note: You should delete any languages from the "languages" directory on the server that you do not need.
20) Verify that permissions on any newly uploaded files are correct for your server platform. Please review the full installation instructions for more information on platform-specific permissions. You may find the instructions at this URL:
21) If you are upgrading from a version prior to 6.4, open the "UPGRADING.html" file with your web browser. (If you are upgrading from 6.5 or later, you should skip to step 24.) The file can be found in the same place as the main UBB.threads™ script. If the normal URL to your UBB.threads™ installation is:
then you will find UPGRADING.html at:
22) Read the contents of UPGRADING.html. If you are upgrading from a version prior to 6.4.2, there may be altertable scripts to run. You must finish all additional instructions in UPGRADING.html before continuing.
23) Click the "Upgrade Area" link in UPGRADING.html, then proceed to step 25.
24) If you are upgrading from version 6.5 or later, browse directly to the upgrade.php script found in your install directory. If the URL to your UBB.threads installation™ is:
then you will find upgrade.php at:
25) Enter your main administrator login name and password to begin the upgrade process.
the first screen in the upgrade process, you will be presented with additional
notes for this version, such as a list of new CSS class names for your styles.
You should write down these notes for later reference.
Also on this first screen is a list of changed, new, and deleted files. Click the "Check Files" button to verify that the files have been uploaded, and attempt to remove the unneeded files.
the next screen, you should be provided with a list of files. There may be
error messages here stating that files were not the correct version, files were
missing, or unneeded files were not properly deleted.
Before clicking the "Check Files Again" button, manually check each file to ensure that it is either the correct version, present if required, or missing if not required. If there is no “Check Files Again” button, proceed to the next step.
28) Once all of the proper files are in place, the button should read "Proceed to next step." Click it.
next screen will list the changes to the language files. If you uploaded a new
copy of the "languages"
directory in an earlier step, click the "I
have updated my language files by hand" button. Otherwise,
click the "Update my language files"
Note: If the update process appears to time out (returns a blank screen), hit the refresh / reload button in your browser to try again. The process will pick up from where it left off. If you are unable to continue past this step, please contact Groupee Support.
30) Once the language files have been updated, you will see a "Proceed to next step" button. Click it.
next screen may take a few moments to load. You should see a list of about 50
steps, along with a brief description of what the step does, and the result.
Verify that the result for each step is "OK"
If a step returns "FAILED" instead of "OK", please carefully copy down the exact error message provided with the failure, and contact Groupee Support for further assistance.
At the bottom of this page should be "Finished updating to version", the version number you are upgrading to, then a link titled "Continue to next step." Click the link.
If you do not see the link, please wait a few minutes, then click the refresh / reload button in your browser to try again. The process will pick up where it left off.
Note: Each of these steps alters the current table structure. If the alters did not complete, you should try to ensure that there are no alters running before reloading the page. If you use phpMyAdmin (see “Installing phpMyAdmin for use with UBB.threads™” at this URL: ), use the "Show Processes" function to do this. You may need to ask your web hosting provider to do this for you.
32) The next screen should notify you that the upgrade is complete. After removing the “install” directory from the server, click the "Return to Forums" link on this page.
You should now log in to your board and examine the control panel for new functionality.