Charles
Many thanks for your helpful response. Again, yes, I would not be surprised if the host server is the issue, however, tech support there have suggested we look into whether we are experiencing this problem on load from static html web pages, or pages loaded from a database (in case the database has become corrupted). As far as I know UBB classic is not run from a database (perhaps you could advise if this is correct?). Tech support there commented on whether we had an access database that could have been corrupted so they could try to run a repair - now again from what I know/can see, we don't..but I wonder if you could comment further.

Many thanks indeed for all your help thus far - any other suggestions you have on speeding up the board will be gratefully received. Otherwise, we'll return to our hosts and ask them to look into the server performance again.

Best wishes

Sashi