Originally Posted by ntdoc
My brother was a crew-chief on an F-111 wing at Edwards Air Force base many years ago (back before Gizmo was born I believe eek )

I came home on leave from Germany (in the US Army) and visited him. Since I was in the service as well they gave me a pass to go out on the flight line. THAT was cool. I got to climb up and sit in the cock-pit of one of them. Had a nuclear blackout shield on it and hundreds of buttons, switches, lights from down at your feet and up behind you.

Ah! if only one could go back in time. Should have tried to be a pilot. I had to settle for Armored Carrier and Tanks. Though we did have our own Cobra helicopter squadron on my base. That was neat to watch them come flying in like a plane and land them by sliding along the grass instead of just straight down.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-111


That's some seriously impressive hardware there ntdoc.
I can see where you're coming from, as service personnel, regarding wanting to train on that kit.

Myself (as someone who worked on human interface design), I am seriously humbled by the achievments of the design engineers. I now feel even more inadequate. Think I'll take the day off and go get drunk frown