The problem is that you can not really ban a troll. They keep on coming back for more
I have a few trolls on my board and they look like an army to the rest of the community... they use multiple ID's... anonymous proxy servers... you name it... they know how to delete cookies so they double ID' detectors do not pick them up
I am like Gizmo... ban them and case closed but it isn ot really closed... sometimes I only set them to read only so it takes longer for them to come back and do not have to register a new account is they only wanted to read
The idea is not to loose members...
Banning people is not so good as setting people to read only... as that does not get them so upset... and a comeback cvan be negotiated...
Have set my board not to allow members to PM before they make a certain number of posts. Takes some efort to post before they can Spam by PM... also have the board set so you have to wait a day or two before you can post...
Been using a lot of mods on 6.5 and not upgrading to 7.2 and wsnting to know what is available for Spam control for 7.2
I have tryed it all...
Had my share of members leaving ot create their own boards and and try to take our members with them... that is the way of the net, the world... top cats want their own... which sucks for board owner being hit by Spam... but it also a good indicator that other want what you have. After many years running boards I am still not sure what makes a community tick and prosper...
But no community want to loose their top posters to other communities...
I feel I need a better double ID's checker and a better way to check and match IP's, and ban IP's...