I'm working on upgrading from the old perl-based bb to the new ubbthreads. I have the files installed and the perms set, but I'm running into a problem with the database login.

When I setup mysql, I removed all the extra accounts that come with it (with no passwords!) and left only root@localhost. Now I've created a new account "ubb@localhost" to run the ubbthreads board. Here's the perms for that account (the password is deliberately munged):
mysql> show grants for 'ubb'@'localhost';
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for ubb@localhost |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'ubb'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*123456789' |
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX ON `ubbthreads`.* TO 'ubb'@'localhost' |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Mysql is only listening on unix sockets (my.cnf has --skip-networking set). I can login to the db as root just fine (from the install page), but the login for ubb fails. Yet I can login to the db from the console, using the ubb account, with no problem.

071012 11:23:29 3 Connect Access denied for user 'ubb'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
071012 11:23:49 4 Connect Access denied for user 'ubb'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
071012 11:24:17 5 Connect ubb@localhost on
5 Query select @@version_comment limit 1
071012 11:24:23 5 Query show databases
071012 11:24:29 5 Quit

What privileges does this user need in order to run ubbthreads?


The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 8.0.0
Release 20240826
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.11
Web Server Apache/2.4.37
PHP Version 8.3.11
MYSQL Version 8.0.39
Database Size 1.82 GB