I know this issue has been raised but I would like to raise it again.

Every six months or so I mail out a mass email to let my forum members know about new features and so on. I get a fair number of bounce-backs from people who changed email addresses.

I send to all members except banned ones. I don't want to have to ban or delete members whose email address is non-functional; that seems rather harsh. Some of these people are still active and posting.

I would like to be able to flag their account as "invalid email address" for two reasons. One, so I can skip them when I do my mass email. Two, so when they go into their forum profile it says right there that there is an issue with their email address so they can fix it. Otherwise they'll never know!

An alternative is to have some sort of flag of "get email from admin" that I can turn off - which is less helpful because now they have no idea that it's because their email address was bad. It would be great if there was a feature in the control panel - if this is the route we have to take - that both sets the flag and sends them a PM with a generic note, so that way they see the flashing message box and know what was done and how to fix it.

Finally, it really needs to be handled *somehow*. If you just blast out messages to bad email addresses repeatedly, that is exactly how a company blocks you as a spammer. I have no doubt that after this current blast goes out, that I'm running right now, that at least one or two ISPs will have auto-blocked me as a result and I'll have to go deal with them ...


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts