At this point, I plan to put the shoutbox back on the right column, but giving users the ability to disable it if required.
By giving the option to disable the shout box, do you mean the entire right column, or
just the shout box itself? I've been wanting to do the latter, based on browser type, but have not had any luck.
What would be good is to have columns that default to OFF, but giving the user the option to turn it ON. Right now, only the reverse is possible (i.e. default ON, allow to switch OFF). This way, I could let registered users enable the column (containing the Shout Box) if they so desired and it doesn't slow them down, while the rest are none-the-wiser.
We were going to change javascript libraries in 7.3, however so much was added and changed we decided to push that back until next at which point hopefully we can address any shoutbox problems.
Do we have any idea why the "problem" occurs, even if it's a qualitative/general description? If I had a starting point, or two, then I could perhaps look into a fix or work-around.