They work at the new test site and I was able to upload a picture after setting the "bytes" to the same as avatar bytes setting. This bytes setting stuff should be more clear in the admin guide or cp. I thought maybe I was getting the error "It appears that you have reached an update page without submitting any data" because i didn't have a post in the Gallery forum..but that's not the way it should work either.

Everything else at this test site has been going very well...just all these settings are a challenge. I had to go live with the buggy forum...just hope I can make a smooth transition to the new when I've got all my ducks in a row.

I re-installed with a new database etc. to try and avoid the bug that appears to vex my first try and be more patient with the modifications I'm making to the cp and styles.

I would advise anyone transitioning from Classic to Threads to be very patient with going live. The install goes very smoothly but there are a lot of differences to setting things up correctly in the cp.