I'm the tech guy. I've been looking at the DB. I have a couple standard permission users. I got one to change from no post bodies to showing the post bodies by doing the switch back and forth in my preferences from and to threaded posts. Then I had another normal user that was not showing posts. I compared them. I found that by putting default values of 'english' in user_language and 'side' in user_post_layout for the user that was having problems, it fixed it. I updated users that had these values as nulls. However, that hasn't seemed to fix the guest account when I do it to user 1.
I've checked permissions carefully. They don't seem to be the problem.
I'll be staring to debug next.
This was a standard upgrade to 7.4 done the same way I've done others.