Well yes.
it is not in MB it is in bytes.
So 1mb =1024 KB
or 1048576 bytes.
Your limit is way above that.
So if you entered 25600 that would be 25.6 kb.
Which is very very small.
or did you enter 25MB?
When you stated the permission was at zero when you went back was it really zero or did you just get a error when uploading?
For a 1 mb file try entering 1048576 with no mb of gb or kb just enter 1048576.
I set the file attachment size to 2560000 and after you click update it just goes back to 0. Then when you try to do an attachment the popup window says max file size 0 bytes allow so it just fails.
To claify no matter what number I enter and do save changes when I reopen the max file size it is set back to 0.